• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No news of personnel firings, but also no confirmations of retention

Michifan

Maybe I'm just impatient, but while a lack of news of personnel changes may suggest that there will not be changes, I also find it interesting that there is not an effort to quickly reaffirm a commitment to Scioscia and Dipoto or anyone else for that matter. I would think it means that everything is on the table and being considered. But I also thought the Angels would be competitive this past season, so clearly I have no credibility at all. 

They are both under contract so why make an announcement that they are under contract? You guys are grasping at straws here looking for something that just isn't going to happen.

Likely, but what else is there to do right now but that and watch other teams compete in the playoffs. Since I'm grasping, it isn't unusual when personnel are on the hotseat for owners to offer support if they don't plan to make changes. Of course sometimes there's the insincere show of support a few weeks before a firing. But Arte has been rather notably quiet. 

They are both under contract so why make an announcement that they are under contract? You guys are grasping at straws here looking for something that just isn't going to happen.

It has already been reported that there will be a confirmation if they are both being retained.

looking more and more like another season of...

silly contact plays

stoic, emotionless coaching

stumbling out of the gate

.240 hitter hitting 3rd, followed by cleanup hitter who can't hit LHP

late season push to seize 3rd place from Seattle

turning a lot more pages

looking more and more like another season of...

silly contact plays

stoic, emotionless coaching

stumbling out of the gate

.240 hitter hitting 3rd, followed by cleanup hitter who can't hit LHP

late season push to seize 3rd place from Seattle

turning a lot more pages

You realize the off season is less than a week old right?

I agree it seems odd that there hasn't been an announcement, given all the speculation in the media. On the other hand if someone is being let go it should be done sooner rather than later.

I don't really think it's odd, given that Arte speaks infrequently to the media.  The media and the fans don't run this organization, it's a private business.  As far as the timing is concerned, I don't believe there is any relevance as to when changes are made, I think they are better made when you have better replacements in hand who can achieve the results you want.  If Arte doesn't have a better plan that is a sure thing, or doesn't want to financially throw more money down the drain, that's his business.  Some teams like to broadcast everything they are doing, obviously this team doesn't, it's their choice.

I thought we'd hear something by now if both were coming back. May mean something, may not. They may be waiting to meet with one, each, or both.  As some have said, if they get rid of Scioscia, they would probably negotiate with him instead of just dumping him and his eating the entire contract. None of that comes into play with Dipoto.

Several teams already made decisions regarding managers and coaches.  Dale Sveum has already been fired and gotten a new coaching job. 

That wasn't a report. It was a tweet by Fletcher that had no sources. Until IncarceratedBob speaks out I am not holding my breath.

It was a tweet by a beat writer who covers the Angels every day.

You old people need to start giving credence to Twitter...  The beat writers are pretty good sources of information.

I thought we'd hear something by now if both were coming back. May mean something, may not. They may be waiting to meet with one, each, or both.  As some have said, if they get rid of Scioscia, they would probably negotiate with him instead of just dumping him and his eating the entire contract. None of that comes into play with Dipoto.

Several teams already made decisions regarding managers and coaches.  Dale Sveum has already been fired and gotten a new coaching job. 

Why wouldn't it come into play with Dipoto, he has a year left on his contract.  I don't get the point of Dale Sveum being fired and getting a new job already, I would hope he's not a candidate here.  I would think he is irrelevant to our situation.

The only really important changes will involve pitching.

You guys are acting like vultures waiting for the kill.

You got that one right!  We can discuss managers for hundreds of pages, but the only thing that will matter in the end is if the organization gets the pitching fixed.  I've been watching the playoffs so far.  The reason some teams are succeeding so well is all because of the excellent pitching (and defense a close second).  If you don't have it, you have no chance in the playoffs, or even getting there in the first place.

But let's keep arguing over a $5M manager instead of discussing the things that matter, like how to obtain and improve the pitching.  The manager is never going to be popular unless the team wins.  When teams don't win, the manager is the one stuck with explaining what went wrong, while trying to keep up team morale.  GM's and owners can go hide in their office, and avoid all of that.  I personally believe managers have an awful job, and they don't have much control over winning and losing.  Watching the playoffs I don't see the managers doing anything different strategically than Scioscia's done all season long.  I was watching Detroit and Oakland yesterday, and watching them bunt (or try to).  The Josh Reddick AB was interesting, he hadn't bunted all year, and suddenly Melvin asks him to bunt, and he popped it up to third in a crucial spot.  Some of you would have crucified Mike for trying that, but Oakland won in the end, and all is forgiven. 

Why wouldn't it come into play with Dipoto, he has a year left on his contract.  I don't get the point of Dale Sveum being fired and getting a new job already, I would hope he's not a candidate here.  I would think he is irrelevant to our situation.

Teams often dump managers and general managers with one year left on their deals. When they do, they generally do it quickly.

Edited by ScottT