• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Risers and Fallers

Tyler

Agreed.  SLC can really be a confidence boost for an offensive player like Grichuk.  He' only one step away from the show, playing against teams littered with major league talent in an environment that really puts the hitter at an advantage.  I think it sets a player like Grichuk up for success. 

Now keeping a player in AAA for three years could become a very detrimental decision, and that's something else entirely.  But a year and a half in AAA isn't such a bad thing. 

A guy like Grichuk can go to SLC, and wrist a high FB over the fence -- there is the possibility of his expanding his strike zone instead of cutting it down.  Because his power will play so well in that park and elevation there is a real risk he will feel he CAN chase those pitches and have similar results at the MLB level.

That will make for a rude awakening IMHO.

I don't see a spot for him on the big league team in the future. Why not send him to SLC to boost his value and then move him for something we need?

Perceived logjams led to the belief the Angels needed to trade an OFer...  So they signed a fat ass malcontent to play 1B and traded a near HOFer away for a package that included Kent Bottenfield.

BTW, I ran into Bots in West Palm Beach, turns out he is coaching college baseball down here.   Super nice guy that was amazed I recognized him.

RG can work on his discipline at AAA.  The coaching staff and internal evaluators will know if he's making progress in that area regardless of what his stats may show.  As much as we want him to be a guy that walks 10% of the time, maybe that's just not the type of player he is.  Granted, it would be better if he were, but he's shown fairly marginal aptitude for such to this point. 

We want him to show plate discipline like we want Trumbo to do the same.  Yet, only certain players are truly capable of executing that.  Maybe it's not in his skill set.  Which, frankly, is why he's not a top prospect.  He's actually got all the other tools, but we can't make him more talented in that area. 

I think that accepting Grichuk for what he is and developing the parts of his game that actually can be developed should be a focus.  Grichuk isn't going to be Trout or Calhoun.  But helping him gain more experience against major league quality competition and increasing his confidence should be what we're hoping for in this situation.  Grichuk should be a lot more of a Trumbo type of player, with better contact and defensive ability and a bit less power. 

I think that keeping him in AA in hopes that he somehow turns into Trout or Calhoun would be a waste of time and risk adversely affecting his belief in himself as a player. 

The guy was a former 1st round pick; confidence isnt an issue. I think he would benefit greatly from starting next seasin in AA. He is 21-22 yrs old, he has.plenty of time to work on his game. Uf he had went to college and got drafted as a junior..... blah blah blah, another start at AA wont shatter him.

Well let's look at it like this.  Trumbo and Grichuk are comparable at this point.  I saw them both as prospects and they show similar strengths and weaknesses.  Trumbo in his age 23 season had a very similar season to Grichuk at age 21 at the same level.  Trumbo went on to AAA, murdered that pitching, broke into the majors and has proven to be pretty successful.  Is he without fault?  No, he has his shortcomings.  But he's undoubtedly a useful piece of the puzzle.  

Using the same approach with Grichuk should work out.  

I think that keeping him in AA in hopes that he somehow turns into Trout or Calhoun would be a waste of time and risk adversely affecting his belief in himself as a player. 

That's been said by who exactly?  I mean -- who seriously thinks keeping him in AA or moving him to AAA will turn him into Mike Trout or even Calhoun?   Ridiculous argument that hasn't been made by anyone.

This is what Im saying..  he was 21, will be entering his age 22 season and saw his walk rate go up while his K rate went down.   He was unlucky, and battled through the park.   SLC will inflate the numbers and while there is nothing to keep him from working on his plate discipline at SLC, it's hard to argue that park can't make for bad habits...  To me.... gven that most feel that AA is where the real test is -- moving him to a cheap park where he will be facing washouts and career minor leaguers just to prop up his stats seems counter-productive.    Clearly, you have a great deal more faith in the Angels coaching and player development people getting him to continue to work on improving his plate discipline than I do and maybe you know something I don't in that department -- but, I'd like to see him work on the part of his game that needs the most work more than trying to put up numbers in a cheap hitting environment.

Anyway, he isn't Trout or Calhoun, but IMO he's shown himself to potentially be more than what Trumbo is.   To say he can't be Trout so just move him up seems well.  silly....

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think Grichuk will be a better player than Trumbo. I get that Trumbo has better power, but every time I watch Grichuk, I like him. He plays good defense, he can probably hit .270 at the big league level, and has good power. Could see him being a very solid outfielder for a long time, he just does everything right except for plate discipline. He makes contact a decent amount too so that's a plus. I'd have no problem with him repeating AA to work on some things.

As far as player development goes, I think I like Tim Bogar the best of all the Angels coaches and scouts.  If he stays at AA, your idea of keeping Grichuk where he is may make more sense from that standpoint, but we'll see.  I'm not alone is believing major shake ups are on the way this winter.  Who knows, Bogar himself may end up being the Angels manager in 2014. 

For us minor league baseball rookies can you compare Grichuck to a current major leaguer? Who would his ceiling be? Someone like a Jeff Francouer?

He's young, it's hard to say because he is evolving -- his K rate dropping was a really good sign.  Would not surprise me to see him be a similar batter to a Torii Hunter circa 2001-2005, but long term that's likely a poor comp.  If he keeps his K rate where it is and improve his walk rate marginally -- he stands a chance to be a pretty decent player.

One scout I know said if he just stays what he is now he'd be a Nelson Cruz type with much better defense.

As far as player development goes, I think I like Tim Bogar the best of all the Angels coaches and scouts.  If he stays at AA, your idea of keeping Grichuk where he is may make more sense from that standpoint, but we'll see.  I'm not alone is believing major shake ups are on the way this winter.  Who knows, Bogar himself may end up being the Angels manager in 2014. 

Yeah I'm a fan of Bogar's...