• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bravo, Eric Holder

This is huge IMO

Saying the U.S. prison population is "outsized and unnecessarily large," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder today said he has ordered changes in Justice Department polices so that some low-level, nonviolent drug offenders with no ties to gangs or drug cartels won't be charged with crimes that impose "draconian mandatory minimum sentences."

In a speech at the annual meeting of the American Bar Association's House of Delegates in San Francisco, Holder said the United States can't prosecute or incarcerate its way to becoming a safer nation. He urged that incarceration be used to "punish, deter, and rehabilitate -- not merely to warehouse and forget."

Of course there was need of a plan.  They are going to get out of jail at some point.

I really hope this country finally gets that jailing non-violent offenders just doesn't work.

I agree with the need for other programs to deal with the low risk offenders but I'm not sure how well they are going to work. AB 109 here in Cali isn't working as well. Many of these turds were granted early release and several have already committed murder.

what is several, 30% of them?

Doesn't matter if its 1%. People died as a result. I'm for alternative sentencing for low level offenders but the problem is that some violent offenders are being released. What is violent and how heinous does it have to be to remain in prison? Brown just appealed a federal order that mandates the state release an additional 10,000 inmates within the next year and they lost the appeal. I doubt all those will be low level offenders and it will be a problem for the counties.

No.

Do you think these low-level non-violent criminals were never going to get out? Anyone who committed murder was going to do it whether they got out early or not.

Maybe but my point is that there is no plan to deal with these people when they are out and to get them the services they need. Traditionally we have had a lock them up and throw way the key approach. If we aren't going to incarcerate them then we need a better plan.

Maybe but my point is that there is no plan to deal with these people when they are out and to get them the services they need. Traditionally we have had a lock them up and throw way the key approach. If we aren't going to incarcerate them then we need a better plan.

legalize drugs. 

Not incarcerating them is a better plan. There are certainly better plans than that. But that's better than jailing them.

Most of these people still have some serious problems that need to be addressed. I work in probation and with juveniles in detention and this system is not like the adults as it is set up with rehabilitation in mind. It works for a small population of these kids but there are some that are non-violent that you should be glad aren't in your neighborhood. Unfortunatley many come from an environment that is counter productive to any programs or services that we give to them and they aren't able to function as a productive member of society. Once they're adults it's a lot more difficult to change behavior.

What about the burglaries, vandals, thefts and other such crimes? I agree that we incarcerate way to much for drug offenses but they aren't the only non-violent ones.

i'm having trouble following this. do you mean legalize burglaries and etc or the burglaries that would take place by legalizing drugs?

What about the burglaries, vandals, thefts and other such crimes? I agree that we incarcerate way to much for drug offenses but they aren't the only non-violent ones.

What about the burglaries, vandals, thefts and other such crimes involved with alcohol? By that logic shouldn't we then criminalize alcohol consumption?