• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto's more likely to get fired instead of Scioscia

And, rightfully so.  When it comes down to it, Scioscia has a ring, Dipoto doesn't. Scioscia can only work with what he's got, and what he's got is about as good as an AW.com over 40 year old all-star team. I mean, I was as excited when we got Pujols, CJ, and Hamilton.  But, it just hasn't worked out.  To me, Jerry is nothing more than an extension of Reagins, the bad Reagins, and arguably worse.  At least, Reagins made decent signings.  Here's another wonderful decision by our wonderful GM:

Hunter

.312, .343, .477, .820

Hamilton

.218, .275, .404, .679

Blanton - Strike One

Greinke - Strike Two

Hamilton - Strike Three, Sit Down, Jerry

Dipoto has sucked ass so far, for sure.

But the "ring" argument is dumb. He won that 11 years ago.

Exactly.

As far as dipoto, no one here can say exactly how much influence arte had in the big ticket signings.

Everyone wants a scapegoat. The chatwood deal looks bad now, that's probably the worst one. That said, burnett got hurt...that's no ones fault. Aybar was hurt the first month. Weaver broke his arm. Vargas has a blood clot. Bourjos...etc etc. Thats not a bad gm.

As far as saying 'sosh can only play what he's got', it works both ways. Dipoto inherited a team with holes, and a very weak farm system. We already had little to trade when he got here.

Blanton was horrible. No defending that. santana is horrible now in retrospect. I wanted to keep him, but most here (and I'm sure on the team) thought he was a headcase that was done.

I was against hamilton, I wanted anibal sanchez. But nobody saw this coming. And again, I'd say moreno was a lot more behind that (and pujols) than dipoto.

Remember when we all loved every Dipoto deal (except for Blanton). Oh hindsight..u win again.

"Hindsight" is by far the most overused term on this board.

You know, there is nothing inherently wrong with hindsight. Opinions change when things don't work out the way you thought they would. Dipoto has made trades and signings that were perhaps questionable at first, but ultimately seemed like good decisions. Most of these have turned out to be horrible decisions. We were wrong to get excited over them, but that doesn't mean we have to stick with that way of thinking.

I'm giving dipoto more time. Sure some of his signings have sucked, but I don't think jesus christ himself could turn the shit smoothie dipoto took over and turn it into wine

Get your facts straight before you call the team a shit smoothie in 2011. Angels finished in second place ten games out of first place in 2011 and 12 games ahead of the A's. The team was also ten games over .500 ball.

Two seasons later we are 13 games behind the A's and will likely end up in fourth place. Glad you're giving Dipoto more time but lets not exaggerate the state of the team when he took over as GM. Maybe you meant he took a good team and turned it into a shit smoothie?

Dipoto is also fully responsible for Pujols and Hamilton as GM ... advise and protect

Remember when we all loved every Dipoto deal (except for Blanton). Oh hindsight..u win again.

Who cares about hindsight. Dipoto has been ineffective, his approach has hindered the team, therefore any negativity towards him is justified--and he should be fired.

Sorry, but Dipoto isn't to blame for most of the shittiness the Angels have displayed on the field and you're right. We ALL were STOKED on Dipoto last offseason and this offseason. Injuries and some players not working out are not on him at all. 

Dipoto will not be fired BTW. 

Sorry, but Dipoto isn't to blame for most of the shittiness the Angels have displayed on the field and you're right. We ALL were STOKED on Dipoto last offseason and this offseason. Injuries and some players not working out are not on him at all.

Dipoto will not be fired BTW.

Exactly...if a GM makes moves that make you the favorites 2 years in a row..I dont think the GM is to blame. You did what u needed to do on paper..time for your coach and players to make it work.

Please, anyone who thought the pitching staff Dipoto started this season with made the Angels the favorites were just fooling themselves.

2011 above average

2012 slightly below average

2013 very below average.

Notice a trend?

Was Weaver, Wilson, Grienke, Haren and Santana on paper slightly below average to you?

Please, anyone who thought the pitching staff Dipoto started this season with made the Angels the favorites were just fooling themselves.

2011 above average

2012 slightly below average

2013 very below average.

Notice a trend?  

MT, you're way off base.

Going into 2012, all of the experts had the Angels rotation in the top 3 going into the season. You're going to blame Dipoto and Santana sucking ass, Haren falling apart, C.J. Wilson's poor second half?

Going into this season, the Angels had three solid pitchers with what was thought to be an explosive offense (again, the experts/pundits all agreed). Blanton and Hanson were here to give us innings, with insurance in Garrett Richards if any of those failed. Not his fault Weaver missed a big chunk of time, as did Vargas AND Blanton turning into a pile of shit... Hanson was a wildcard, but a good gamble, but even he hit the DL twice, as well as missing time when his brother died. Back to Blanton. He was ten times worse than he's ever been at any time during his career. All we needed him to be was career average. That means we're getting 6-7 innings with 3-4 runs a game given up. With the offense that was assembled and with the spectacular defense in the outfield, Blanton was a decent gamble.

We tried at Greinke, but the Dodgers had big pocket books. It was a solid effort trading for him to help the Angels chances down the stretch last season, with a good chance of signing him in the offseason. Greinke even said that it was a tough choice he had to make, but the Dodgers were simply offering a heck of a lot more. 

I just don't get the Dipoto hate on here. You all need to look at the entire picture instead of cherry picking and posting half-ass opinions. 

Dipoto failed for sure.  Scioscia bares a lot of the blame too.

Since Scioscia has been crap for four years now, I am more willing to give Dipoto one more year with a manager he chooses than some stubborn ass has been like Scioscia.