• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Move Trumbo back to 3b

NrM

I don't think Trumbo is athletic enough to play third.

Neither was Glaus.

Guys got a killer arm just needs some practice. Scioscia's inpetitude has again cost this team a potential gold nugget in the hot corner because of 3-4 games (which is BS).

I'm begining to hate this teams unwillingness to look outside the box in the name of sticking to the books. There's things called intangibles. 

Spontenuity and trying things out and keeping people fresh is what wins ballgames. Fat man's reliance on the safe move is killing us.

Trumbo can't be any worse than Callaspo at 3rd, that's for sure.

Unless you're playing in for a bunt the balls come at you just as hard at 1B as they do at 3B, when a lefty is up. The biggest difference is having to throw, and he has a good arm, but he might take too long to throw which could be a problem.

Even if the chances of it working out are almost none, I'd be fine with him getting some time there since we're just using a stopgap otherwise for the rest of the year.

I liked the idea last year and wished Sosh would have given him more of a chance at it, so I'm on board with this. The more games he can play there now, the more comfortable he'll get for next year. And at this point there is absolutely nothing more to lose.

Quick trivia for all of you - name the third baseman for Weavers no-no last year.

Yep.

Didn't Trumbo make a great play near the stands late in that game?

Neither was Glaus.

Guys got a killer arm just needs some practice. Scioscia's inpetitude has again cost this team a potential gold nugget in the hot corner because of 3-4 games (which is BS).

I'm begining to hate this teams unwillingness to look outside the box in the name of sticking to the books. There's things called intangibles. 

Spontenuity and trying things out and keeping people fresh is what wins ballgames. Fat man's reliance on the safe move is killing us.

Ummm... what? Glaus played SS at UCLA and was pretty good at it. He wasn't the best option at SS but to call him not athletic is just inaccurate.

I wonder if we might see Green at 3b sometime before the season is over....maybe he is better defensively at 2b but, if his bat can play in the big leagues, there is opportunity at 3b....

Agreed! If we are going to give anyone a shot at 3B the remainder of this season, it should be Green. Let's see if he is capable before heading into the offseason.

This might sound crazy, but **** it.

He never had a real shot at 3b.

The season is over anyways.

Let him learn and make his mistakes this year. 

Trumbo would be a whole lot more valuable at 3b than he is as a 1b/DH

I know I'm going to take a lot of shit for this, but I think it makes some sense.

If Pablo Sandoval and Miguel Cabrera can play 3b, I'm sure trumbo can.

Before I look at the responses, I'm not a fan of this. I don't think they should mess with his head anymore. He's having enough problems with the bat which is where I want the focus to be. If we're out of it anyway, let Green get acclimated there.

Neither was Glaus.

As was mentioned before Glaus was a SS in college while Trumbo was a pitcher in High School with no infield experience so there is zero comparison between the two athletes.

Yes there is a thing called intangibles but there is also a thing called stats. Even though Mark spent the majority of the 2012 Spring training season learning 3rd base when the season rolled along it was very apparent he is not a 3rd baseman. 

In 2012 he started 8 games as the 3rd baseman for the Angels and only completed 5 of them, lifted for a defensive replacement. In those few 63 innings he had 4 errors and a fielding percentage of .714. His range factor was 1.25 the league average was over twice that of 2.6. Poozy mentioned Pablo Sandoval, he has a .957 fielding percentage and 2.51 RF and that is why he can play 3rd base.

Trumbo had more errors in those 8 games as a 3rd baseman than he had in the rest of his 118 games in the field.

But Scioscia refuses to think out of the box and put a guy that is not a 3rd baseman at 3rd base. Hey think of how fresh and spontaneous it would be to have one in every 4 catchable balls roll out into the outfield and down the line helping win ballgames, for our opponents. 

Trumbo has a better chance of helping the team from the pitchers mound as a reliever than as a 3rd baseman.

A lot of problems would be solved if Trumbo could play 3B.  And last season, while he showed some glimpses of surprising excellence, overall it wasn't happeneing the way the Angels envisioned.  I personally believe they gave up on him WAY too early at third base, but that's what they chose to do.  I'm not sure I'd be in favor of trying him at 3B again because now that we have Grant Green, I think the production, or lack thereof, is easily met by Green. 

Mark Trumbo will not play 3B for the Angels. 

Mark Trumbo will not play 3B for the Angels. 

But he should be given more than 8 games to prove himself. I'd say like others have mentioned, putting him there for the last 2 months of the season would be a good amount of time to evaluate if he belongs there or not. The guy was jittery as hell over there those games where Scioscia put him there, all cause Skip was breathing down his neck, and the pressure was waaay on.

You know how Scioscia is, guys can't even get a few deep breaths in before he's yanking 'em or moving them back around.

Put him there for the rest of the season but don't put him there when games actually matter. The guy will have to be pretty good defensively to make it worth it to play him there. Having watched him play 1B for a year and a half it looks like the guy has as much chance at being a decent 3B as I do of hitting a MLB HR.

Funny. People want to put Trumbo at 3B when there is no pressure on him and the games don't matter to see if he can play. Let's say he is average. I assume that you will then want to go through the offseason with him as the 3B for 2014. Then, new season, games matter and he plays like he did last year by booting balls, sailing them into stands, bouncing them into the dirt. Now what do you do? You are left with an incapable 3Bman and no place to put him in the lineup because you have built your roster around him playing 3B every day.

Trumbo had 8 starts and 63 innings @ 3B in 2012.

I had never been so disappointed by the organization. A) Damn near killed him B) Confirmed our FO and coaching staff has ZERO eye for talent C) Worst 63 innings of 3B play I have ever seen at the MLB level.

Haha same here.  He was clearly terrified of a ball being hit in his general direction over there.  Back on his heels, jumpy, horrible footwork, he couldn't set himself to make a throw.  He honestly looked like he had never fielded a ground ball in his life.  I don't remember seeing one throw from him where the first baseman didn't have to make a big adjustment to get a glove on the ball, if he got a glove on it at all.  

Chris Nelson made some nice plays tonight at third base, I doubt Trumbo would have even gotten close to fielding those.  I don't think Nelson will hit well enough to be anything other than a reserve infielder.  Green could be the interesting experiment at third, haven't seen his arm, but he was a college shortstop.  Maybe he could be a little weaker hitting third baseman but otherwise similar to Glaus?

The A's had moved him to second base because he wasn't very good at third base. It seems weird that now they are moving him around again.

I thought Nelson was a way better offensive option than Harris, and was surprised when Nelson was sent down and Harris kept for so long.