• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian is a Coward

The way I see it, this season has sucked about as bad as it can and if fans want to vent, they should vent.  Call out the GM.  Call out the players, the owner, the hot dog vendor, whoever.  It's a frustrating time for some.  Being angry is better than being apathetic.  When I see threads like this, it just means some fans care.  That's not a bad thing. 

Now, is Minasian a coward?  I have no idea.  We're not privy to his conversations with Moreno.  But hey... if someone wants to call him out - more power to them.  Again, it just shows someone gives a rip. 

I can’t imagine Perry gets another contract with the Halos after this. Which in some ways kind of sucks because it could mean another awkward overlap year of a GM with a prior manager, meaning a lost year of being on the same page. 

Maybe Wash is canned or quits at end of year. Maybe Perry was already given an extra year (but still might be at risk of being fired) or maybe Arte sells at some point this year, and the new owner fires both or keeps both for one year.

Cannot imagine Perry has much leash left though. I think the only thing that will save him at this point will be if Neto, Schanuel, O’Hoppe are kicking way more ass midseason and if maybe we start to see some real growth in the lower minors particularly. Not totally out of the question, but time is a-ticking.

Also troubling is I’m not really sure who is available on the GM front this winter that stands out as a great choice. We seem overdue for bringing in an established, veteran GM and I’m not thinking of many who will be available as of now, so it might be another unknown. Could be great. But it didn’t work out the last three times we’ve tried that approach. 

I think Arte sells, tbh.

8 minutes ago, T.G. said:

The way I see it, this season has sucked about as bad as it can and if fans want to vent, they should vent.  Call out the GM.  Call out the players, the owner, the hot dog vendor, whoever.  It's a frustrating time for some.  Being angry is better than being apathetic.  When I see threads like this, it just means some fans care.  That's not a bad thing. 

Now, is Minasian a coward?  I have no idea.  We're not privy to his conversations with Moreno.  But hey... if someone wants to call him out - more power to them.  Again, it just shows someone gives a rip. 

Thanks, I'm just a fan I get it. I'm not trying to be a keyboard warrior or act superior but I was. I recognize that it's easier to type something than to say it to someone's face, and even though I'll never meet Perry Minasian in my life (unless he also loves Tacos Los Cholos), I felt really guilty thinking about calling him a coward. I don't actually believe this. I treat this board (and Twitter) the way I feel people should not  -- as an alternate reality. I'm responsible for what I say, so acting like this is childish. I can talk about this in a better way, so my bad for slinging mud like this. 

I am an Administrator but have others over me as well. I try to be cognizant of what I am asking others to do, and how much responsibility I take. My point was that if my boss put mandates on me, took my autonomy away, controlled the aspects of MY job that are in my job description -- even though technically he has a right to do so -- and then allowed me to field all the blame when this micromanagement caused failure, I'd find another job. I also recognize that education is a much different field than having an MLB GM job, so I'm in no position to call him a coward because 1) I don't actually know who is making every single decision and 2) This is his first GM job, his dream job, and I am sure he tries as hard as he can to get it right. 

Where I actually am is somewhere in between my tantrum and saying it's all Arte's fault. Perry's decisions have not been good either, especially the ones we know Arte wasn't involved in. So I guess I'm at the point where I don't blame Arte for everything, but I recognize he is the main problem with the last 10 years of incompetence. I partly feel bad for Perry, but also know he is in control of his own life/job, so it's on him to make the team good or, if he just can't, to leave. 

2 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I partly feel bad for Perry, but also know he is in control of his own life/job, so it's on him to make the team good or, if he just can't, to leave. 

If Perry fully concluded that it is impossible to do his job properly under Moreno, that still doesn’t mean it would be the right decision for his career going forward to just leave right now.  There is value in finishing out your contract and showing the rest of the baseball world you can handle adversity without leaving in what could be perceived as a tantrum.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

If Perry fully concluded that it is impossible to do his job properly under Moreno, that still doesn’t mean it would be the right decision for his career going forward to just leave right now.  There is value in finishing out your contract and showing the rest of the baseball world you can handle adversity without leaving in what could be perceived as a tantrum.

And if the Angels are looked at as broken by other franchises, like many fans believe, Perry will easily find work elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, James said:

And if the Angels are looked at as broken by other franchises, like many fans believe, Perry will easily find work elsewhere. 

Yeah maybe.  But unless there is a job immediately available to Minasian right this second, he has no real downside to just finishing his contract.

11 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Thanks, I'm just a fan I get it. I'm not trying to be a keyboard warrior or act superior but I was. I recognize that it's easier to type something than to say it to someone's face, and even though I'll never meet Perry Minasian in my life (unless he also loves Tacos Los Cholos), I felt really guilty thinking about calling him a coward. I don't actually believe this. I treat this board (and Twitter) the way I feel people should not  -- as an alternate reality. I'm responsible for what I say, so acting like this is childish. I can talk about this in a better way, so my bad for slinging mud like this. 

I am an Administrator but have others over me as well. I try to be cognizant of what I am asking others to do, and how much responsibility I take. My point was that if my boss put mandates on me, took my autonomy away, controlled the aspects of MY job that are in my job description -- even though technically he has a right to do so -- and then allowed me to field all the blame when this micromanagement caused failure, I'd find another job. I also recognize that education is a much different field than having an MLB GM job, so I'm in no position to call him a coward because 1) I don't actually know who is making every single decision and 2) This is his first GM job, his dream job, and I am sure he tries as hard as he can to get it right. 

Where I actually am is somewhere in between my tantrum and saying it's all Arte's fault. Perry's decisions have not been good either, especially the ones we know Arte wasn't involved in. So I guess I'm at the point where I don't blame Arte for everything, but I recognize he is the main problem with the last 10 years of incompetence. I partly feel bad for Perry, but also know he is in control of his own life/job, so it's on him to make the team good or, if he just can't, to leave. 

Keep bringing that "Lackey-esque" fire! 

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Yeah maybe.  But unless there is a job immediately available to Minasian right this second, he has no real downside to just finishing his contract.

My statement was in regard to it not hurting him in any way to stay on board through his contract.

I can't judge any Angels' GM's motivations/actions due to Arte's meddling.  The track record of GM's after leaving the Angels is pretty solid.  Eppler had a decent run with the Mets and Dipoto is doing well, despite a limited payroll in Seattle.  The Mariners are leading the division currently and have been in the playoffs multiple times since he's been there.  I blame one person for this entire run of shit and it's Arte.  I don't care who the GM is at this point.  As long as Arte is owner, nothing is going to change.

40 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Agree with this. I think sometimes I think Front Office people see what we see as fans, or that it is as nebulous to them as it is to us. They know what conditions he is working under, and in fact they probably know from Eppler, DiPoto and Perry exactly what those conditions are. As @aznhockeyguy said it's nearly impossible to judge Perry because we don't have a clue the extent of Arte's meddling. And...it doesn't matter. Very little will change so long as Arte is calling the shots. 

27 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only way I can see a Moreno owned Halos team becoming a contender is for him to sell partial ownership to someone like Theo Epstein and make him POBO while turning over full baseball matters control to Epstein.

That would have been a great idea when Theo was available, and when Friedman was available. I don’t think Arte will ever cede that kind of control. He’s never shown an interest in running the Angels like that. Nowadays, Friedman has the Dodgers contending every year, and Theo is a part owner of Fenway Sports. And the Halos are still spinning their wheels…

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only way I can see a Moreno owned Halos team becoming a contender is for him to sell partial ownership to someone like Theo Epstein and make him POBO while turning over full baseball matters control to Epstein.

How about Mike Elias as POBO?

I don't think it really matters who the GM is. There will always be constraints as long as Arte is in charge. Always. 

No experienced GMs with a lengthy track record will want to touch the Angels with a 10-foot pole, as they will not have the control that they will want/need to make player personnel decisions.

We have an owner who is stingy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he'll bring in shiny objects that he thinks will put butts in seats, but will he REALLY sign off on something that the team sorely needs, and has needed, for at least the past decade? No, he won't, because that only puts butts in seats every 5th day. For a supposedly successful businessman, he can't really see the forest for the trees--getting the players that are needed to make the team successful--even if they start once every five days--will sell more tickets overall, as the team becomes more exciting, generates more buzz, which sells more tickets, concessions, and merch, which generates more revenue--not to mention how much more revenue is generated by teams that actually make the postseason.

Instead, he's OK with with the level of money he's making now, OK, with having yes men providing a rubber stamp on every decision while they're in their box watching anything other than the on-the-field product because it's more entertaining than the horseshit product he sells (granted, playoff hockey IS exciting--but Carpino should be excited about watching the team he has a hand in running), and a state media that echoes that everything that he believes and does is the absolute gospel--or else!

The problem is, always has been, and always will be Arturo Moreno. Nothing will change as long as Arte has control.

The nameplate on the door of the GM's office doesn't matter. 

16 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

We can argue all day and night about Perry's abilities as a GM. About his spending power. About his autonomy. About who is making the calls. 

The fact of the matter is that he is a coward. I don't care how much each individual believes it's Arte's fault. Of course a lot of it is. Most of it? Sure. But I don't feel bad for Perry at all, because he continues to allow himself to receive all the blame for the moves -- the trades, the non-trades, the offseason spending, the trajectory of 2024 and beyond. He flat out told us in October they were going to try and be competitive. Build a quality team. Spend money. And then he only signed mediocre bullpen guys, or guys that have had exactly 2 good months in their career. Didn't sign a starter. Didn't sign a single lineup addition. AND...didn't offer an explanation about the fact that the team was having a rebuilding year. In fact, pushed back against that notion. Why? We all know why. 

Because Arte won't let him. Which makes him a coward. 

Arte isn't letting him hire an AGM. Perry absolutely would hire one. His decision when asked was complete nonsense; every other team has at least one. It's obvious Arte won't pay for one. 

Arte wouldn't let him trade Ohtani. Perry would have. But he is the GM, so he willingly take the blame. 

Arte clearly cut him off this offseason. His explanation was again nonsense, not logic or reason. 

Arte clearly is focused on financial aspects. What does Perry repeat like a good little boy 3-4 times a year? "Arte and Carol Moreno are great. Arte has set no limits and is competitive and wants to win." 

Arte clearly won't let him sign actual MLB players, instead forcing him to pick the waiver wire. What is Perry saying? Nothing. Hasn't spoken about it at all. In fact, he's been in hiding. 

Arte flat out disrespected the best player in franchise history by NOT making any moves to improve the team in the offseason, despite reports that Mike was more vocal than ever and was asking every day. Who had to answer for it? Perry. Again, not a single word about Arte, just more nonsense. 

Who do you think the directive to draft quick-to-the-majors players came from? We know who would make a suggestion like that -- forget the farm, sell out to win. So 3 straight years under slot with our 1st round pick. Rushing guys to the majors, with bad results. Did Perry put his foot down to restock the system? No. 

Perry has covered for Arte for years. And I get that that is most likely what the job of a GM under Arte looks like. But no self-respecting person is going to work like that AND take every single piece of the blame. This happens because Arte never once explains anything or says, "No that was my call." He is happy to let Perry take all the flak. And if that was my boss, I'd quit. Perry looks like a foolish, incompetent, terrible decision maker. And if a lot of that is out of his control, it's better to save your dignity and a shred of your reputation than get fired, inevitably, for not getting results when it wasn't in your control, and have to work as an AGM for 3-4 more years before you can get another job.  

Yes, I understand what you're saying sir. But, this is a Wendy's drive through...

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2024 at 12:21 AM, Chuck said:

But back to Perry, he swung and missed on guys he could have had for much cheaper like Seth Lugo, Shota Imanaga, Reynaldo Lopez, Jordan Hicks, Cal Quantril, Sean Manaea

Shota Imanaga is becoming a star for the Cubs. How did MLB not see this coming?
THE JAPAN TIMES on June 16, 2024
(This article originally appeared in The New York Times)