• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian is a Coward

We can argue all day and night about Perry's abilities as a GM. About his spending power. About his autonomy. About who is making the calls. 

The fact of the matter is that he is a coward. I don't care how much each individual believes it's Arte's fault. Of course a lot of it is. Most of it? Sure. But I don't feel bad for Perry at all, because he continues to allow himself to receive all the blame for the moves -- the trades, the non-trades, the offseason spending, the trajectory of 2024 and beyond. He flat out told us in October they were going to try and be competitive. Build a quality team. Spend money. And then he only signed mediocre bullpen guys, or guys that have had exactly 2 good months in their career. Didn't sign a starter. Didn't sign a single lineup addition. AND...didn't offer an explanation about the fact that the team was having a rebuilding year. In fact, pushed back against that notion. Why? We all know why. 

Because Arte won't let him. Which makes him a coward. 

Arte isn't letting him hire an AGM. Perry absolutely would hire one. His decision when asked was complete nonsense; every other team has at least one. It's obvious Arte won't pay for one. 

Arte wouldn't let him trade Ohtani. Perry would have. But he is the GM, so he willingly take the blame. 

Arte clearly cut him off this offseason. His explanation was again nonsense, not logic or reason. 

Arte clearly is focused on financial aspects. What does Perry repeat like a good little boy 3-4 times a year? "Arte and Carol Moreno are great. Arte has set no limits and is competitive and wants to win." 

Arte clearly won't let him sign actual MLB players, instead forcing him to pick the waiver wire. What is Perry saying? Nothing. Hasn't spoken about it at all. In fact, he's been in hiding. 

Arte flat out disrespected the best player in franchise history by NOT making any moves to improve the team in the offseason, despite reports that Mike was more vocal than ever and was asking every day. Who had to answer for it? Perry. Again, not a single word about Arte, just more nonsense. 

Who do you think the directive to draft quick-to-the-majors players came from? We know who would make a suggestion like that -- forget the farm, sell out to win. So 3 straight years under slot with our 1st round pick. Rushing guys to the majors, with bad results. Did Perry put his foot down to restock the system? No. 

Perry has covered for Arte for years. And I get that that is most likely what the job of a GM under Arte looks like. But no self-respecting person is going to work like that AND take every single piece of the blame. This happens because Arte never once explains anything or says, "No that was my call." He is happy to let Perry take all the flak. And if that was my boss, I'd quit. Perry looks like a foolish, incompetent, terrible decision maker. And if a lot of that is out of his control, it's better to save your dignity and a shred of your reputation than get fired, inevitably, for not getting results when it wasn't in your control, and have to work as an AGM for 3-4 more years before you can get another job.  

8 minutes ago, BTH said:

Yep, he is a coward.

On one hand, I can’t blame him for doing whatever it takes to get a dream job (MLB GM).

But in doing so, he is a coward who’ll acquiesce to Arte rather than having some dignity.

Tell me you’ve never had a job without telling me you’ve never had a job. 

6 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

We can argue all day and night about Perry's abilities as a GM. About his spending power. About his autonomy. About who is making the calls. 

The fact of the matter is that he is a coward. I don't care how much each individual believes it's Arte's fault. Of course a lot of it is. Most of it? Sure. But I don't feel bad for Perry at all, because he continues to allow himself to receive all the blame for the moves -- the trades, the non-trades, the offseason spending, the trajectory of 2024 and beyond. He flat out told us in October they were going to try and be competitive. Build a quality team. Spend money. And then he only signed mediocre bullpen guys, or guys that have had exactly 2 good months in their career. Didn't sign a starter. Didn't sign a single lineup addition. AND...didn't offer an explanation about the fact that the team was having a rebuilding year. In fact, pushed back against that notion. Why? We all know why. 

Arte isn't letting him hire an AGM. Perry absolutely would hire one. His decision when asked was complete nonsense; every other team has at least one. It's obvious Arte won't pay for one. 

Arte wouldn't let him trade Ohtani. Perry would have. But he is the GM, so he willingly take the blame. 

Arte clearly cut him off this offseason. His explanation was again nonsense, not logic or reason. 

Arte clearly is focused on financial aspects. What does Perry repeat like a good little boy 3-4 times a year? "Arte and Carol Moreno are great. Arte has set no limits and is competitive and wants to win." 

Arte clearly won't let him sign actual MLB players, instead forcing him to pick the waiver wire. What is Perry saying? Nothing. Hasn't spoken about it at all. In fact, he's been in hiding. 

Arte flat out disrespected the best player in franchise history by NOT making any moves to improve the team in the offseason, despite reports that Mike was more vocal than ever and was asking every day. Who had to answer for it? Perry. Again, not a single word about Arte, just more nonsense. 

Who do you think the directive to draft quick-to-the-majors players came from? We know who would make a suggestion like that -- forget the farm, sell out to win. So 3 straight years under slot with our 1st round pick. Rushing guys to the majors, with bad results. Did Perry put his foot down to restock the system? No. 

Perry has covered for Arte for years. And I get that that is most likely what the job of a GM under Arte looks like. But no self-respecting person is going to work like that AND take every single piece of the blame. This happens because Arte never once explains anything or says, "No that was my call." He is happy to let Perry take all the flak. And if that was my boss, I'd quit. Perry looks like a foolish, incompetent, terrible decision maker. And if a lot of that is out of his control, it's better to save your dignity and a shred of your reputation than get fired, inevitably, for not getting results when it wasn't in your control, and have to work as an AGM for 3-4 more years before you can get another job.  

So for the record, the owner of the business you work for has yielded full operational, strategic and financial control of the business to you?

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I am confused.  Are you suggesting Perry is a coward because he doesn't publicky call out his boss who signs his paychecks?

Bringing the heat @ThisismineScios!! I love it. 

I don't mind passionate takes like this, especially in what has become the worst season in Angels history. 

But while Perry may not be Billy Beane and have candid and heated discussions with ownership, this really all goes back to Arte. 

The man said in an interview early on this spring that he wasn't going to spend any money. He has never spent significant money on starting pitching...

But back to Perry, he swung and missed on guys he could have had for much cheaper like Seth Lugo, Shota Imanaga, Reynaldo Lopez, Jordan Hicks, Cal Quantril, Sean Manaea

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

It will be interesting to see if Minasian gets another contract with the Angels.

I’m sure that there will be assistant GM’s who express interest in the job, but will they actually be better than Minasian? Is it a good thing that the organization goes through a complete personnel change every 4 years? If Arte is controlling (which he certainly seems to be) why would anyone really want the job? There is definitely a certain stink attached to the organization right now.