• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Halos need to be buyers at the deadline for SP but who?

The thought i just had: Dipito and Arte want to win now he is gonna make a move for someone before the waiver deadline we are with in striking distance to Wild Card #2....  although most would prefer to stand pat, i think it is inevitable.   i would like to see lee or garza we need some good SP.  we are just winging it now with what we have.  our SP can't stay at this level with what we have now.  they will fall off sooner or later an addition would be valuable. 

Granted bottom of top 10 prospects and Richards for Lee may seem intriguing.

But is assuming a $77 million deal with 3 years remaining for a 35 year-old pitcher as intriguing?

maybe the phils will eat some of the contract.  as far as age goes i know i don't have to tell you about successful pitchers over 35. here are a few: Jamie moyer, bartolo colon, jose contreras, mariano rivera,  RA.

Make zero moves since 2010 and this is the team you have today:

Bourjos

Segura (3B)

Trout

Trumbo

Morales

Napoli (1B)

Kendrick

Aybar

Conger 

Weaver

Corbin

Chatwood

Skaggs

Hellweg

Make zero moves since 2010 and this is the team you have today:

Bourjos

Segura (3B)

Trout

Trumbo

Morales

Napoli (1B)

Kendrick

Aybar

Conger 

Weaver

Corbin

Chatwood

Skaggs

Hellweg

I don't know if this team still wins the division. Wild Card for sure though.

maybe the phils will eat some of the contract.  as far as age goes i know i don't have to tell you about successful pitchers over 35. here are a few: Jamie moyer, bartolo colon, jose contreras, mariano rivera,  RA.

Makes me wonder if the Phills will go the Boston route.  Like a Lee ($62.5 million owed not including this year, $25 million next year), Papelbolm ($26 million owed with another $13 million vesting option, $13 million next year), Howard ($85 million owed, $25 million next year) package trade.  And I can think of one team that might be interested.  Especially if a Roid is part of the package.  

If we're not going to sell, then stand pat.  Or do something like Shuck/Calhoun for a similar long-reliever/SP.

I feel like we have seen the last Bourjos on this team. I think Dipoto and company may feel like Shuck is serviceable enough to trade Bourjos and another for some pitching.

Makes me wonder if the Phills will go the Boston route.  Like a Lee ($62.5 million owed not including this year, $25 million next year), Papelbolm ($26 million owed with another $13 million vesting option, $13 million next year), Howard ($85 million owed, $25 million next year) package trade.  And I can think of one team that might be interested.  Especially if a Roid is part of the package.  

Yep, the Skanks would likely jump at that trade.

Lee in that park = tough on righties.

Papelbum = AL closer experience.

Howard = HRs galore in that park.

Yep, the Skanks would likely jump at that trade.

Lee in that park = tough on righties.

Papelbum = AL closer experience.

Howard = HRs galore in that park.

Can see Lee and Paps but Howard is out the next month and a half- 2 months

Can see Lee and Paps but Howard is out the next month and a half- 2 months

You can still trade injured players.  Teams just don't like to.  Last year Crawford was traded even though he was still recovering from TJ surgery.  If it was to land Lee and Paps, with Howard, and the Yanks gave up Roid or Teix.  They might think it's worth it.

No, Shuck is not.  

This x10. We would be at least a couple games above .500 right now if Bourjos were healthy all season. Several Blanton and Williams starts early on in the season ended up as close losses because shuck converted would-be put outs in LF by Trout into run-scoring extra base hits.

The Angels current payroll is sitting around 137 million.  If they're willing to raise payroll up over 160 million, then sure, trade for Cliff Lee, especially if the Phils are letting him go for next to nothing.  Having Weav, Lee, Wilson and Vargas would actually give the Angels a pretty formidable rotation, not just for this year but for the next couple assuming Vargas is extended.  

The issue is, I don't think the Angels are looking at putting their payroll up that high.  They'd need to cut at least 10 million elsewhere just to keep it around 150 million.  Where would those cuts come?  Not to mention this team is about to get mighty expensive.  Trumbo, Bourjos and Frieri will all be reaching arbitration and Wilson and Pujols are both due 6 million in raises for next season.  We'll also have to seriously consider writing Mike Trout a lifetime contract in the offseason, because it's pretty freaking obvious his production isn't going to go downhill.  

There's just no room in the budget for Cliff Lee.    

The Angels current payroll is sitting around 137 million.  If they're willing to raise payroll up over 160 million, then sure, trade for Cliff Lee, especially if the Phils are letting him go for next to nothing.  Having Weav, Lee, Wilson and Vargas would actually give the Angels a pretty formidable rotation, not just for this year but for the next couple assuming Vargas is extended.  

The issue is, I don't think the Angels are looking at putting their payroll up that high.  They'd need to cut at least 10 million elsewhere just to keep it around 150 million.  Where would those cuts come?  Not to mention this team is about to get mighty expensive.  Trumbo, Bourjos and Frieri will all be reaching arbitration and Wilson and Pujols are both due 6 million in raises for next season.  We'll also have to seriously consider writing Mike Trout a lifetime contract in the offseason, because it's pretty freaking obvious his production isn't going to go downhill.  

There's just no room in the budget for Cliff Lee.    

Angels are not going to go above the luxury tax this year no matter what. Trading for Lee would do that. They will very likely be over next year due to the way the Wells trade was structured. After Wells deal is over I suspect they will offer Trout a long term deal which would likely mean the Angels are paying the luxury tax until Hamilton is off the books.

Since tax rates go up base on number of consecutive years the team is over the cutoff, a small increase in payroll this year coud lead to millions in future penalties owed.

That's always been a bit hazy for me.  The official number for their payroll of players right now is at 137.2 million.  What other costs are bringing them up upon that Luxury Tax threshold?  

In general the Luxury tax is based on the average value of the contracts, not the dollar amounts paid year by year. 

Pujols and Hamilton are each getting paid $16M this year, but they count as $25M/year each for luxury tax accounting as that's the average cost of their contracts. Blanton, Weaver, Wilson and many others are all being paid less this year than the average annual value of their contracts. 

This is also why Trout hasn't been locked into a Longoria-type deal yet. Let's say they gave him $15M a year average for a long time. Even if the contract was written to only pay him league minimum this year, and $25M sometime on the back end of the contract, it would still count as $15M against the luxury tax.