• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Evan White (?)

CartiHalos

Evan White is by far the most enigmatic player in the Angels organization right now, and I would like to hear everyone's thoughts about him.

I think it's genuinely absurd how bad he is at hitting. Not in the sense that it's absurd how bad someone can be at hitting, but I don't understand how HIS hitting stats are so bad.

Before I dive into how terrible his numbers with the bat are, let's give the guy some flowers first.  He's 1 of 2 current Angels with a Gold Glove (shoutout Griffin Canning), he's one of the 6 first baseman since 2020 to put up 5 OAA on at least 100 attempts, and is top 20 in Statcast's FRV for 1st baseman (500 inning minimum) since tracking began in 2015, despite only playing 84 MLB games.

So the guy can do it with the glove. I think that in itself gives him value as a depth piece. If Schanuel goes down, would you rather give those 1B innings to a 65 OPS+ guy with league average defense (think 2023 Jake Lamb), or a 65 OPS+ guy who was the best defensive first baseman in the league (2020 Evan White)?

Now the part that makes him so interesting - his peripherals. It's shocking to me that he's been so bad, and equally as shocking that no hitting coach has found a way to fix him. The elephant in the room is his lack of sample size, playing only 84 games in MLB and then spending most of his time in 2022 and 2023 injured, playing 30 Triple A games in that span.  

So, if you're the Angels, you've got a guy that, to this point, has pretty much never been a league average hitter, even in Triple-A. Then you have a guy who's been 90th percentile or better in AVG Exit Velo, Barrel Rate, and Hard Hit Rate during a qualified season.  They're the same person. He hit .176 during said season, and it's clear his problem is a strikeout issue, as he had a .264 BABIP and a 41.6 K%.  Once again, this is strange. Players with high strikeout rates like White often have chase problems: I think of players like Chris Davis or Salvador Perez.  Evan White's profile would seem to fit more of someone like a Kyle Schwarber or Max Muncy: High K%, but lower Chase%, and hits the ball hard when he hits it.

However - that's not right either. He walks no more than an average player, and in 2021 he was significantly below the league average in BB%. His profile reminds me most of the lower points of Cody Bellinger, which isn't great, but shows potential if he's able to cut down on the in-zone whiffs and backwards K's.  I think a change of scenery and some good coaching could turn him into a serviceable bat with a great glove, but I'm not super optimistic on it happening.  I'd like to hear some other takes on him.

I think the two biggest problems for White are that:

1) He got rushed to the majors.

2) He then dealt with a bunch of injuries.

It’s hard to make up for lost time in the minors when you’re hurt. I’d just like to see him healthy and playing everyday in AAA.

The trade was about saving money, so anything you get out of White is a bonus.

9 hours ago, BTH said:

I think the two biggest problems for White are that:

1) He got rushed to the majors.

2) He then dealt with a bunch of injuries.

It’s hard to make up for lost time in the minors when you’re hurt. I’d just like to see him healthy and playing everyday in AAA.

The trade was about saving money, so anything you get out of White is a bonus.

I slightly disagree. 

Based on Fletcher's departing interview it seemed like he was refusing coaching direction. Therefore White has a higher likelihood of discovering something compared to Fletcher. 

I like this trade more and more. Maybe Stassi has a nice year but he'd be an expensive 2nd catcher for us.

13 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I slightly disagree. 

Based on Fletcher's departing interview it seemed like he was refusing coaching direction. Therefore White has a higher likelihood of discovering something compared to Fletcher. 

I like this trade more and more. Maybe Stassi has a nice year but he'd be an expensive 2nd catcher for us.

I was just saying saving money was the main goal of the trade. There were other benefits of the trade, as you mentioned.

Fletcher seemed like a pain to deal with since he didn’t think adjustments were needed. There is upside to White, but again, that’s more of a bonus.

And they wouldn’t say it aloud, but I bet they also had concerns about how well Stassi would return after missing an entire year.

2 hours ago, BTH said:

I was just saying saving money was the main goal of the trade. There were other benefits of the trade, as you mentioned.

Fletcher seemed like a pain to deal with since he didn’t think adjustments were needed. There is upside to White, but again, that’s more of a bonus.

And they wouldn’t say it aloud, but I bet they also had concerns about how well Stassi would return after missing an entire year.

100% agree 

White has a beautiful swing, but he's been crushed by unfair expectations and injury. The dude just needs to be stashed in AAA with a good hitting coach and be left alone. 

If that happens, a few things are likely to happen.

1. He'll gain confidence. AAA Salt Lake tends to do that for power hitters, and the PCL in general. 

2. He'll develop. You might argue that because of his age he's done developing, however given his string of injuries and being rushed and 2020 destroying his timeline, he still needs time. 

3. If he's healthy, he'll get stronger. Injuries and illness have this pesky way of compiling and leading to others. 

4. Burdens can be lifted. The extension and being rushed put too much on him. The Angels aren't a playoff team, and Nolan Schanuel is a VERY exciting option. No one is counting on him. He just gets to go out and play baseball. 

Ultimately, I don't think he needs a physical fix. It's mental and emotional. It's Brandon Wood. 

stranger things have happened than a guy like Evan White becoming good.  

A bunch of these COVID guys are probably going to get too many chances really.  In particular with 233 total plate appearances over the last 3 years after a partial year of not belonging in the bigs.  He was really a dead money offset so at this point it costs nothing to let him get as many AAA at bats as you need to find out if there's anything there.  

If we see him in the majors in 2024 then either something bad has happened or something really good.  

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

stranger things have happened than a guy like Evan White becoming good.  

A bunch of these COVID guys are probably going to get too many chances really.  In particular with 233 total plate appearances over the last 3 years after a partial year of not belonging in the bigs.  He was really a dead money offset so at this point it costs nothing to let him get as many AAA at bats as you need to find out if there's anything there.  

If we see him in the majors in 2024 then either something bad has happened or something really good.  

I do wonder if Schanuel could be passable in the corner outfield, in the event that White puts it all together. 

Probably not even with considering given that's like Plan K in the alphabet. More likely to see Moniak get lots of AB's to see if he can replicate some of last year's success, and Taylor Ward shaking off the cobwebs and performing as he did at the start of 2022, or seeing if Jo Adell can get on base enough to go with his power and athleticism or if utilizing DH can help Trout stay on the field for 150 games. 

As a University of Kentucky Baseball season ticket holder I got to see this kid play every home game for 3 years. 

He's an absolute magician with the glove, and a hits machine at the college level (.372 his senior year).  Nothing wrong with his eyesight.  Never had power (which is odd for a first baseman) but was a standout line drive hitter.

Very popular with teammates and with the fans.  Had a banger of a walk-up song (Glitter and Gold).

I really hope that this guy just fell victim to small sample size and injuries, and that he'll be the steal of the offseason.