• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rest of the offseason, post Shohei.

Warfarin

With Ohtani gone now, and given the declarations of the FO that they intend to compete and not rebuild - what moves do you make from here to cobble together a decent team?

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/angels 

Looking at the above, if you assume Arte will spend close to the threshold (no guarantees of that), that would mean we have ~65mil or so to spend in AAV this offseason, which is more than enough to secure a top SP, a top reliever, and some hitters to help mitigate the loss of Ohtani.

I feel similar about the team as I did a year ago, even with the loss of Ohtani (which has partially been ameliorated relative to a year ago by generally positive developments from young players): The team, as is, has some talent. Neto, O'Hoppe, and Schanuel all look like they're here to stay and are already average plus regulars with upside for more. Moniak has some value, if only as a good 4th outfielder/platoon guy. Rengifo has emerged as a solid player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take another step forward this year. Ward's bat is good when he's healthy. Even Adell has shown glimmers of progress. Drury is maybe the one acquisition that was as good as he was hoped to be. Unfortunately none of those guys look like elite bats, so the Angels really need Trout and Rendon to be healthy and/or to add depth, with Ward being a kind of wildcard.

As for the SP, I think the podcast said it well: The Angels have a bunch of solid #3s/good #4s, though I think the upside is there for more from Detmers, Sandoval, and maybe Silseth. But as Chuck said, Canning was sneakily pretty good. It is heartening that his pitch velocity was the highest of his career, so I'm wondering if he's on the verge of finally fulfilling his potential. Anderson should be a solid #4. So that's five guys, but really, if they want a competitive rotation, they probably need to go after the best starter they can get, either Yamamoto or Snell, or at least someone like Stroman.

The bullpen...who the fuck knows. It seems like no matter what they do, it always implodes. But there are some good pieces, so maybe just a couple solid veterans.

Anyhow, my main point is that the team's success in 2024 largely depends upon players they already have: Not just (but to a huge degree) Trout and Rendon, but the rest of the cast. Hiring RW might turn out to be a genius move (and hopefully not genious). I think they need to bolster the roster, but I just don't think it will make or break them. They need better performance (and health) from the guys mentioned above.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

It's definitely fair to assume that. I think he goes by actual payroll, which was $215m last year. So the 65 mil estimate is likely correct regardless. 

His inevitable pivot should be Yamamoto, but it will probably be Snell. Or Stroman. 

I take Seth Lugo over Stroman

9 minutes ago, Robrock30 said:

JD Martinez is the obvious first move no?

Maybe, but I think this team needs some LHH.  As it stands now, all we really have is Rengifo (who is a switch hitter), Moniak, and Schanuel.  Maybe someone like Joc Peterson, who can DH but also play some LF, could be an option to fill that spot.

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Maybe, but I think this team needs some LHH.  As it stands now, all we really have is Rengifo (who is a switch hitter), Moniak, and Schanuel.  Maybe someone like Joc Peterson, who can DH but also play some LF, could be an option to fill that spot.

Ok I like Joc so take them both as they are both winners.

16 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Joc is no longer a competent  outfielder 

47 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I feel similar about the team as I did a year ago, even with the loss of Ohtani (which has partially been ameliorated relative to a year ago by generally positive developments from young players): The team, as is, has some talent. Neto, O'Hoppe, and Schanuel all look like they're here to stay and are already average plus regulars with upside for more. Moniak has some value, if only as a good 4th outfielder/platoon guy. Rengifo has emerged as a solid player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take another step forward this year. Ward's bat is good when he's healthy. Even Adell has shown glimmers of progress. Drury is maybe the one acquisition that was as good as he was hoped to be. Unfortunately none of those guys look like elite bats, so the Angels really need Trout and Rendon to be healthy and/or to add depth, with Ward being a kind of wildcard.

As for the SP, I think the podcast said it well: The Angels have a bunch of solid #3s/good #4s, though I think the upside is there for more from Detmers, Sandoval, and maybe Silseth. But as Chuck said, Canning was sneakily pretty good. It is heartening that his pitch velocity was the highest of his career, so I'm wondering if he's on the verge of finally fulfilling his potential. Anderson should be a solid #4. So that's five guys, but really, if they want a competitive rotation, they probably need to go after the best starter they can get, either Yamamoto or Snell, or at least someone like Stroman.

The bullpen...who the fuck knows. It seems like no matter what they do, it always implodes. But there are some good pieces, so maybe just a couple solid veterans.

Anyhow, my main point is that the team's success in 2024 largely depends upon players they already have: Not just (but to a huge degree) Trout and Rendon, but the rest of the cast. Hiring RW might turn out to be a genius move (and hopefully not genious). I think they need to bolster the roster, but I just don't think it will make or break them. They need better performance (and health) from the guys mentioned above.

Question is, why have they struggled with relief pitching, while other teams find success?