• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

I’ve been shunned on here this winter for saying we should trade a starter if we signed Snell or Monty. But the FO and coaching staff have been pretty adamant about wanting to go back to a 5 man rotation (as they should). Also theres zero chance angels go into the year with a rotation of 4 lefties so someone has to go.

Detmers- has shown a lot of potential and still has several years of control, he’s not going anywhere.

Sandoval-same with potential but is a headcase on the mound at times and only has two years left of control.

Anderson-I think he can bounce back and have a decent year but unless we are eating most of, if not all of his salary he’s not going anywhere. I doubt Perry has the balls to say he's going to the bullpen as a long reliever/spot starter for $11mill a year

Someone’s got to go! Losing a guy like Sandoval would be a blow yes but if he can bring back a solid bat or even a couple mid level prospects let’s do it

27 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

I’ve been shunned on here this winter for saying we should trade a starter if we signed Snell or Monty. But the FO and coaching staff have been pretty adamant about wanting to go back to a 5 man rotation (as they should). Also theres zero chance angels go into the year with a rotation of 4 lefties so someone has to go.

Detmers- has shown a lot of potential and still has several years of control, he’s not going anywhere.

Sandoval-same with potential but is a headcase on the mound at times and only has two years left of control.

Anderson-I think he can bounce back and have a decent year but unless we are eating most of, if not all of his salary he’s not going anywhere. I doubt Perry has the balls to say he's going to the bullpen as a long reliever/spot starter for $11mill a year

Someone’s got to go! Losing a guy like Sandoval would be a blow yes but if he can bring back a solid bat or even a couple mid level prospects let’s do it

I don't agree in the slightest. 

If they're good pitchers it doesn't really matter. 

Depth is probably the most important thing for a team to have. Pitching depth? Invaluable. I don't think we're in a position to say we "gotta get rid of someone". 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't agree in the slightest. 

If they're good pitchers it doesn't really matter. 

Depth is probably the most important thing for a team to have. Pitching depth? Invaluable. I don't think we're in a position to say we "gotta get rid of someone". 

Fair so what would your rotation be then? 

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Snell/Monty, Detmers, Sandoval, Canning, Anderson with Silseth, Daniel, Plesac/Bachman as depth. 

Behind Daniel right now I have Rosenberg and Suarez. Plesac not sure where he fits in right now and Bachman hurt and needs to pitch in minors.

2 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Has there ever been a rotation in baseball history with 4/5 lefties?  If so I’ll eat crow but as I mentioned in my post I just see no scenarios where we would run out 4 lefties 

The 2017 Red Sox did before David Price got hurt.  The 2015 White Sox did for most of the season. 1983 Yankees.  I'm sure it's been done other times, too.

What do you think? I still say it's not going to happen, but like I've always said, I hope I'm wrong. The Angels have needed a clear ace this offseason as the #1 target IMO. Especially after losing Ohtani. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Snell/Monty, Detmers, Sandoval, Canning, Anderson with Silseth, Daniel, Plesac/Bachman as depth. 

I’m okay with 4 lefties this season, building towards 2025, when Silseth should be fully ready and they can then trade Anderson and half of his remaining year’s salary.

Just as long as Snellgomery doesn’t sign for more than 3 years.

Heck, after 2024 they could then sign Burnes and then trade Sandoval?

2025 rotation:

Burnes, Snellgomery, Detmers, Canning, Silseth with Daniel, Bachman, Dana, etc. for depth 

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

What do you think? I still say it's not going to happen, but like I've always said, I hope I'm wrong. The Angels have needed a clear ace this offseason as the #1 target IMO. Especially after losing Ohtani. 

It’s happening. It’s the ONLY way spending on the pen like they have makes sense.  

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'll ask @Inside Pitch and @Docwaukee to provide better insight but I'm going with good pitchers are good pitchers. If you have 5 righties or 5 lefties I don't think it matters if they simply get outs.

You don't need those two to confirm that.

The Mariners may have the best rotation in baseball and not a one of them throws lefthanded. 

Meanwhile, the 1991 Braves (Tom Glavine, Charlie Leibrandt and Steve Avery) won the NL West and advanced to the World Series. The 1980 Yankees (Ron Guidry, Tommy John and Tom Underwood) led a team that won 103 games.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s happening. It’s the ONLY way spending on the pen like they have makes sense.  

Boras is using the Angels IMO to drive up the $$$. What I was told a few months ago may not be the same today as time changes everything, especially if Bellinger's contract is any indication that the market has shifted to more money per year but less years on the contract... But we'll see. I still have my doubts. 

9 minutes ago, Chuck said:

You don't need those two to confirm that.

The Mariners may have the best rotation in baseball and not a one of them throws lefthanded. 

Meanwhile, the 1991 Braves (Tom Glavine, Charlie Leibrandt and Steve Avery) won the NL West and advanced to the World Series. The 1980 Yankees (Ron Guidry, Tommy John and Tom Underwood) led a team that won 103 games.

Come on Chuck, make those two work!

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

Boras is using the Angels IMO to drive up the $$$. What I was told a few months ago may not be the same today as time changes everything, especially if Bellinger's contract is any indication that the market has shifted to more money per year but less years on the contract... But we'll see. I still have my doubts. 

Boy, I can only imagine how Moreno will act if he perceives that Boras has screwed them over again, a la Teixeira...

17 minutes ago, Chuck said:

The price has clearly gone down if Bellinger is any indication. If Arte refuses now, he has no interest in winning. 

I really don’t know if it happens, mainly because Arte is unpredictable.

Maybe he wants a shorter deal, maybe he doesn’t, or maybe he doesn’t want them at all.

In order for the Angels to get one, Snell/Monty are gonna have to want a deal that Arte’s comfortable with AND the Angels will have to have the best offer among other teams (perhaps by a decent margin).

Edited by BTH

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The only way I trade a starter is if we sign Snell and Clevinger/Lorenzon and you trade someone for either a bat or a prospect haul that has at least the value of the pick we would lose for signing Snell. 

Yeah, that's the thing for me: replacing that pick you'd give up for Snell. That's why I'm REALLY hoping that if the Angels do sign him, they don't give him an opt-out after the first year. Even with him, I think it's 50/50 at best that they'd make the playoffs, so I don't want to have him bail after a year, they get nothing for him, and lose a pick.