• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

23 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Is any one concerned about Nolan's 85.4 av exit velocity? It's literally near the worst in MLB. I want to see him have a go, but someone like Cron would probably be a good idea if we're not interested in Bellinger.

No.

21 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Is any one concerned about Nolan's 85.4 av exit velocity? It's literally near the worst in MLB. I want to see him have a go, but someone like Cron would probably be a good idea if we're not interested in Bellinger.

Jose Altuve's average exit velo the last four years is 85.5.  He's faster?  They averaged about the same sprint speed last year.  

No offense to Florida Atlantic, but I'm pretty sure Nolan has a pretty good shot of gaining some strength and speed by being on a major league training program.  

The guy had 85 plate appearances with a wood bat last year before getting to the big leagues.  

Having a low exit velo makes it easier for pitchers to throw him strikes so at some point he has to punish them for that.  But we're not talking about him being in Fletcher territory by any means.  

9 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Let's give him a minute before we proclaim he's Juan Pierre without the speed. 

There's also this:

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 9.00.24 AM.png

24 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Just a guess, but I think Rod Carew and Pete Rose probably had lower than average exit velocity . Those guys fared pretty good.

I think not giving up on him ( which I'm not) and not comparing him to carew and Rose are both good ideas.

I'm just pointing out that he appears to be our only plan for 1B and currently he just doesn't hit the ball hard. 

Given what our spending limits appear to be, I reluctantly think Cron to be our DH and backup 1B might be worthwhile. 

If Nolan needs to go to AAA what are going to do? Drury? 

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

If Nolan needs to go to AAA what are going to do? Drury?

Yes.  Or Rendon.  Or Ward.  Thats four deep at first.  If you are not comfortable with that amount of depth, then add someone that has at least some positional flexibility.  Cron is just too narrow a player in terms of his potential utility.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes.  Or Rendon.  Or Ward.  Thats four deep at first.  If you are not comfortable with that amount of depth, then add someone that has at least some positional flexibility.  Cron is just too narrow a player in terms of his potential utility.

Ward and Rendon are not 1B options.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

They have a combined 5 innings at 1B ( all Ward) so I'm curious what you're basing that on. 

They haven’t yet played much first base because the teams they have been in haven’t needed them to.

It is based on almost anybody that can play third base can also play first base.