• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

It makes no sense to sign a DH type like Votto. Who wants someone that can hit 20 HRs and bat .210-.220. Why not give Adell a shot. In the past, everyone would consider him a failure if he didn't hit 25+ HRs and bat .260-270. We are being linked to players like Votto and Duvall, who will 20 HRs and bat .220. I think Adell can easily do that and better.

Then go sign Merrifield, who can play INF and OF, steal some bases and always seems to hit in clutch spots.

7 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Move on. There's no way the Angels sign Joey Votto. Makes no sense. Remember who tweeted this garbage BS out. Jon Heyman! 

Robert Murray is one of the more plugged in Angels guys and he said it first, although I thought he floated it more as a hypothetical. Heyman saying he thinks they're interested makes me more concerned that there might be more than smoke there. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

If we want a leadership type veteran, I'd want JT. Proven post season hitter who is great in RISP, something we've been bad at. 

I've been on the Justin Turner signing for awhile now.  Either Turner or Votto would be an excellent mentor for Schaunel. 

Votto is an absolute Chad.

I would really love the tenacity he brings to a clubhouse and team, and he would provide great insurance if Schanuel hits a learning curve. 

It’s not like he’ll cost more than 1yr/5mil, so it’s pretty low stakes. Pair it w getting Merrifield (and more pitching) and the offensive and defensive depth starts to look pretty nice. 

17 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yes, let's sign a 40-year-old dude who can't hit anymore, so he can provide "leadership", leaving aside the fact that his teams have been to four post-seasons in 17 years, have lost in the first round all four years, and he has a career .563 OPS in post-season appearances.  I'm so tired of people wanting Moustakas, Votto, and/or other dudes who are far past their prime. 

100% agree. 

HARD no on Votto. Past his prime is right. He'd come here and just go through the motions to make sure he could cash his checks each week.  At this point it'd basically be paying for a name on the back of the jersey. We already have one of those with #TonyTooBlessed.

17 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If we want a leadership type veteran, I'd want JT. Proven post season hitter who is great in RISP, something we've been bad at. 

Totally on board with Turner. Dude rakes and knows how to hit in high pressure situations. I'd put him right behind Trout. You're going to get .275 BA or above, OPS above .800, and he has a career strikeout rate of 17.2% which is exactly what this team needs, a guy who puts balls in play.

You wanna talk about a player who will produce WHILE being a mentor for the young guys? Turner fits the bill. 

5 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Votto has spent the last season plus playing, and recovering from, a shoulder injury.  Before that, he was an OBP machine.  I think a 1yr flyer wouldn't break the bank.  

And, I think a couple of players like Turner and Votto would be very good for our clubhouse. 

Yeah, "before that" being the key point here--as is the fact that he's 40 years old!

Jesus, people, we can do better. 

1 minute ago, ScottM said:

Rather have him as a hitting instructor and not wasting a roster spot

Ha ha.  Exactly!

This bizarre fascination with old guys and/or guys who have played with the Angels in the past (regardless of how shitty their performance was while here) is truly baffling to me.  The team has been a train wreck for years.  Signing has-beens, never-weres, or even players who were once truly great but are now well past their primes is NOT the way to improve the team.

Hell, Fernando Rodney is still pitching and trying to make a comeback.  I'm just waiting for someone to say the Angels should get him back, too...

https://theathletic.com/5210030/2024/01/18/fernando-rodney-pitching-mlb-comeback/

35 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

HARD no on Votto. Past his prime is right. He'd come here and just go through the motions to make sure he could cash his checks each week. 

I don’t think Joey Votto, he of $260M in career earnings, is intending to go through the motions just to bank another couple mil at best at age 40.

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, "before that" being the key point here--as is the fact that he's 40 years old!

Jesus, people, we can do better. 

My point is that we lost 40 HR, 100 plus RBI, 100 runs scored, and 25 SB when Shohei left town, and we haven't done ANYTHING to address that loss.  It will take contributions from more than one player to replace what Ohtani alone provided.  

If we must stay within the budget, Turner and Votto are two good choices.  

54 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I've been on the Justin Turner signing for awhile now.  Either Turner or Votto would be an excellent mentor for Schaunel. 

Schaunel doesn't need a vet first baseman to mentor him. He's got Trout and Washington to mentor him ( if anything). 
Minasian needs to go out there and sign a bat and then trade for a starter and hopefully this team can sniff a winning record.

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

My point is that we lost 40 HR, 100 plus RBI, 100 runs scored, and 25 SB when Shohei left town, and we haven't done ANYTHING to address that loss.  It will take contributions from more than one player to replace what Ohtani alone provided.  

Sorry, but Votto simply isn't a good option at this point in his career. 

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

We did lose his production and most likely not replace it. The BP on paper vastly improved will be big help. Health to Trout will be huge. Halos have not replaced what Ohtani did as a starter so far. Additions are still coming and will it make Angels a contender maybe. Adding 2 BP pieces has hope on the rise for Angel fans.

12 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Obligatory "If Rendon can just play 120 games...."

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Schaunel doesn't need a vet first baseman to mentor him. He's got Trout and Washington to mentor him ( if anything). 
Minasian needs to go out there and sign a bat and then trade for a starter and hopefully this team can sniff a winning record.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but, Washington has a whole team to also focus on. That doesn't mean he can't be a mentor to Schanuel, or any player, but it also isn't exactly his objective on an individual level. And I love Trout, but I'm not 100% that he's comfortable with this or the best for these roles. He seems to be pretty reserved, and even though he's made some progress being a little more outward, it feels a bit forced, IMO. 

Also, just because Trout and Washington can fill those roles, doesn't mean there isn't room for more mentors to still be available or still have utility on the team. Not saying it's Votto, not saying it's Turner, but to just say "We've got Washington and Trout, mentorship COVERED" doesn't really click.

Not arguing for Votto, but, he is a discipline/contact-first 1B with good defense that hits left-handed, much like Schanuel. There's far more translatable knowledge there than from an outfielder or an old-school mid-infielder. 

Angels will be exploring the possibility of Schanuel playing OF. Currently, they'll be using a Moniak/Adell platoon in RF, with both of them functioning in the 4th OF/backup CF role. Ward is in left. 

Both situations are not a sure thing. 

They'll use Votto at 1B/DH, Rendon at 3B/DH, Drury at 3B/2B/1B and Schanuel at 1B/LF. 

Yes, there are lots of moving parts, but there's plenty of playing time to go around. 

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Angels will be exploring the possibility of Schanuel playing OF. Currently, they'll be using a Moniak/Adell platoon in RF, with both of them functioning in the 4th OF/backup CF role. Ward is in left. 

Both situations are not a sure thing. 

They'll use Votto at 1B/DH, Rendon at 3B/DH, Drury at 3B/2B/1B and Schanuel at 1B/LF. 

Yes, there are lots of moving parts, but there's plenty of playing time to go around. 

Can’t forget Rengifo.

He seemed to finally turn a corner at the plate.

July 1 - September 30 (219 PAs):

.327/.374/.592/.966

Put him at 3B (strong arm) and see if Wash and company can make him into a decent enough 3B.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can’t forget Rengifo.

He seemed to finally turn a corner at the plate.

July 1 - September 30 (219 PAs):

.327/.374/.592/.966

Put him at 3B (strong arm) and see if Wash and company can make him into a decent enough 3B.

Definitely didn't forget about Rengifo. On any given day...

1B - Votto, 2B - Rengifo, 3B - Drury, SS - Neto, DH - Rendon, LF - Schanuel

1B - Schanuel, 2B - Drury, 3B - Rendon, SS- Neto/Rengifo, DH - Votto, LF Ward/Adell

So many options, but plenty of playing time. 

we're all doing the same stuff.  opening the browser and going to an MLB free agent list.  I use fangraphs FA tracker.  

click on position and select batters.  

sort by projected WAR.  

Get about two guys down and start squinting my eye at how they may or may not help the halos this year.  

I think I got down into Brian Anderson/David Peralta territory and thought good lord.  WTF am I doing.  

5 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

we're all doing the same stuff.  opening the browser and going to an MLB free agent list.  I use fangraphs FA tracker.  

sort by projected WAR.  

Get about two guys down and start squinting my eye at how they may or may not help the halos this year.  

I think I got down into Brian Anderson/David Peralta territory and thought good lord.  WTF am I doing.  

But Joey Votto!!!

my point of the above post is that it's really one good not great player and then a ton of garbage.  

I think it's Tim Anderson on a pillow contract for me and just take your lumps otherwise.  Just so hard to stomach the thought of giving a guy who had wRC+ of 47 and 83 over two seasons before his contract year upwards of 30mil per.  

6 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

sort by projected WAR.  

That’s hot stove season baby, don’t worry by June we will all hate this team again