• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Schanuel Batting Practice

Blarg

In the off season instead of sending Adell, O'Hoppe, Moniak and Neto to Driveline, send them to Nolan's batting cage to learn some plate disciple. 

"Anytime I was practicing, if I swung at a ball or took a strike, I kicked myself out of the cage," ~ Schanuel

Get these hyper competitive young guys to follow Nolan's practice where they have to recognize pitches or they are out of the cage for the next guy. None of them want to watch or have to do push ups or laps waiting for their next turn. You know the game will be who can last the longest and after a few weeks they are going to be disciplined and ready for Spring Training. 

Camp them in Arizona with live pitching and umpiring with Nolan as the guy they have to match up against. Each session there is all of the statcast information and instruction for a better swing but the focus is to be focused.

Not guessing, not committing simply because of pitch count. Really seeing the ball path and choosing correctly when to hit or lay off. I'd like to see all of them remove diving for pitches out of the zone while staring at a middle plate fastball from their game. I think Schanuel's cage practice could be the key. 

Yes, you can't just snap your fingers and free swinger suddenly becomes an on base machine when they aren't tagging pitches. But if you do nothing to break the strikeouts per game, per series, per season, these guys and the team are going nowhere. 

21 minutes ago, Blarg said:

In the off season instead of sending Adell, O'Hoppe, Moniak and Neto to Driveline, send them to Nolan's batting cage to learn some plate disciple. 

"Anytime I was practicing, if I swung at a ball or took a strike, I kicked myself out of the cage," ~ Schanuel

Get these hyper competitive young guys to follow Nolan's practice where they have to recognize pitches or they are out of the cage for the next guy. None of them want to watch or have to do push ups or laps waiting for their next turn. You know the game will be who can last the longest and after a few weeks they are going to be disciplined and ready for Spring Training. 

Camp them in Arizona with live pitching and umpiring with Nolan as the guy they have to match up against. Each session there is all of the statcast information and instruction for a better swing but the focus is to be focused.

Not guessing, not committing simply because of pitch count. Really seeing the ball path and choosing correctly when to hit or lay off. I'd like to see all of them remove diving for pitches out of the zone while staring at a middle plate fastball from their game. I think Schanuel's cage practice could be the key. 

Yes, you can't just snap your fingers and free swinger suddenly becomes an on base machine when they aren't tagging pitches. But if you do nothing to break the strikeouts per game, per series, per season, these guys and the team are going nowhere. 

I love this idea.  It should be adopted as an organization wide philosophy.  And, while we're at it, continue to scout, draft, and sign players that are capable of doing this.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Schanuel being drafted may well be a blessing.   Just work on having the launch angle raised just enough to increase the XBHs and hit 15-20 HRs a season.

These are the type of things that do make a difference. Should be a widespread practice. A lot can be accomplished in an off season. 

Schanuel seems like a pretty astute guy and should have a consistent type career as he understands how players have to keep adjusting and improving. Hopefully his streak lasts through this season. 

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

And send Schanuel + Stefanic to Driveline.

The best hitters control the zone + hit the ball hard.

11 minutes ago, BTH said:

And send Schanuel + Stefanic to Driveline.

The best hitters control the zone + hit the ball hard.

Maybe you skipped where I said they can have all of that, and do, at the AZ clinic but have Schanuel lead the group. Schanuel really doesn't need anyone teaching him how to lift the ball for more pop ups. He's fine doing just what he is doing.