• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Brett Phillips, option Stefanic

mmc

Wonder what the point of this is?  Doesn't seem like it would impact the luxury tax, so why bother?  Maybe they think someone is going to take Grichuk this time? 

EDIT:  Or maybe it does save a tiny bit of money since Phillips is already getting $1.2M and Stefanic won't be paid a major league salary for the rest of the year now? 

Edited by jsnpritchett

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Wonder what the point of this is?  Doesn't seem like it would impact the luxury tax, so why bother?  Maybe they think someone is going to take Grichuk this time? 

EDIT:  Or maybe it does save a tiny bit of money since Phillips is already getting $1.2M and Stefanic won't be paid a major league salary for the rest of the year now? 

Arte needs his yacht fuel.

34 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

^^^  They might do the same thing with Fletcher and/or Walsh except, with Fletcher anyway, it could effect his status for next year, as I understood it....they can't outright him again and keep him in the organization if nobody claims him....he would have the option of being a FA and the Angels still being obligated for his salary....at least that's how I thought I understood it...

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

^^^  They might do the same thing with Fletcher and/or Walsh except, with Fletcher anyway, it could effect his status for next year, as I understood it....they can't outright him again and keep him in the organization if nobody claims him....he would have the option of being a FA and the Angels still being obligated for his salary....at least that's how I thought I understood it...

Yep, that's how I understand it on Fletcher, too.  I'm to the point where letting him go to another team even if the Angels are paying him wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Saves them $130k or so. 

5 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

It's weird how Arte has had no problem paying other guys tens of millions of dollars to play for other teams, but he doesn't seem to want to pay Fletcher millions of dollars to play elsewhere.

Because they have the option to keep him as insurance. 

Bring up Fletcher with two weeks left, that will save them another $60k. I think I read Fletcher needs 26 games to qualify for opting for free agency when sent down next time. I don’t know the language for what I just tried to explain (poorly). @BTH was it you who explained the Fletcher situation?

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

That is how it works. 

Phillips is getting paid $1.2m wherever he is, but Stefanic gets paid 730 in the majors and probably 120ish in AAA. 

if you take about 1/7 of all that, that’s the savings. 

19 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That is how it works. 

Phillips is getting paid $1.2m wherever he is, but Stefanic gets paid 730 in the majors and probably 120ish in AAA. 

if you take about 1/7 of all that, that’s the savings. 

This sounds like an accountant is calling the shots at this point instead of Minasian.

Probably not far from the truth and understandable.

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Bring up Fletcher with two weeks left, that will save them another $60k. I think I read Fletcher needs 26 games to qualify for opting for free agency when sent down next time. I don’t know the language for what I just tried to explain (poorly). @BTH was it you who explained the Fletcher situation?

Yeah.

Right now, by my math, he’s 25 days short of reaching 5 years of service time.

If he is outrighted off the 40-man and he has reached 5 years of service time, he can elect free agency while still getting paid his entire salary.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

When a player gets to 5 years of service time (and Fletcher is 20-some days away), he can reject an outright and keep his contract. Prior to that, if he rejected the outright, he'd be giving up the money, so obviously he wouldn't reject it.

Fletcher has 2 years left on this deal, so unless the Angels are planning on keeping him in the minors for 2 years, he's going to get to 5 years. I suppose they could be thinking maybe he'll do something in the winter or in spring training that makes him a) more useful in the majors or b) a trade candidate.

As of now, they can simply point to his .813 OPS at SLC (including .693 since he went back on July 20) to explain why he's not in the majors.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Fletcher has 2 years left on this deal, so unless the Angels are planning on keeping him in the minors for 2 years, he's going to get to 5 years. I suppose they could be thinking maybe he'll do something in the winter or in spring training that makes him a) more useful in the majors or b) a trade candidate.

I think they probably just want to maintain the option to keep him as non 40-man depth heading into next season.

At the very least, he’s an upper level org filler.