• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Seize the moment

MPohleece

Look, the season's been over since early Aug, but last Wed with Trout goin' for broke and back on the IL, and of course, Shohei's injury, that was a huge moment for the Angels, and some may say, for baseball at large.

Who knows for sure Shohei's reasons for continuing to play: prolly he just loves to play so much; as a paid athlete, he feels some obligation to play if he can play; he wants to fulfill the potentials of this season, test himself; he wants to inspire his teammates; he feels he's got enough bucks, so not that worried about a huge contract...? Perhaps, one or all the above.

Regardless, his continuing to play has been getting some attention and deserves continued attention and thought.

I don't think it's off-base to say.
It's obviously less risky to not play at all, and just try to cash in as much free agency bucks as possible. Most pro athletes would.
After a likely career-changing injury, a typical reaction would be to retreat from play; not playing in the 2nd of a back-to-back and still having the focus to contribute with a double. He's either really easygoing to a fault or has crazy mental fortitude--both can be true at the same time.

These moments don't come by very often. One can hope that Trout and Shohei have created a galvanizing moment to really build enduring betterment to this team moving forward. So finish the season the right way. Don't slip on daily prep and focus during the game (like that throw to 2nd on x2 steal today). Basically, don't cheat the damn game and play 
for the fans and also for each other (wink wink Sandy when mates make errors).

Shohei's speech at the WBC was good, that whole bit about while the US has renowned players, you can't overcome them while revering them... Maybe another speech and moment is in order before the Phil's series start. It don't need to be Valvanoesque, fuck perfect English, just say something. 

I have no idea what his actually thinking is, but my guess is that it is a combination of being competitive, enjoying playing, wanting to pad his stats (see below), and maybe a touch of denial. I have no idea how those factors are weighted.

As for the stats, if he stopped now he'd end the year with an incredible line of .307/.412/.672 with 44 HR and 92 RBI in 128 games (plus 9.0 fWAR combined) - almost certainly the AL MVP again. Now add another 30 games to that pace and he's well over 50 HR, 110 RBI, and 10 WAR, plus 120+ Runs. For a guy who obviously wants to be as good as he possibly can and build on his legacy, that's a season for the ages. 

On 8/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, Erstad Grit said:

Maybe I'm cynical. 

If he shuts it completely down I assume that would impact his next contract. Him playing through gives teams confidence that if pitcher Ohtani gets hurt hitter Ohtani can still contribute.  

That is not a selling point considering he has already proven the last time he can return to DH duties long before pitching. 

Every day he waits on treatment is one less day of productivity for his suitors. So playing out the season puts him 6 weeks further away from recovery.