• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

Just now, Jason said:

I don’t think he’s going to be as expensive as you think. He went from the greatest player in the league to a DH only. 

I think that is jumping to a conclusion based on too little information about the injury.  He could return to pitching, but maybe a relief role would be better, reduced innings with less wear and tear.  He could become a position player, who knows the possible outcomes at this point.  We still have three months until free agency, a lot more will be known at that time if the Angels don't sign him to a contract in the interim.  He is still very valuable to this team no matter the outcome.

1 minute ago, tomsred said:

I think that is jumping to a conclusion based on too little information about the injury.  He could return to pitching, but maybe a relief role would be better, reduced innings with less wear and tear.  He could become a position player, who knows the possible outcomes at this point.  We still have three months until free agency, a lot more will be known at that time if the Angels don't sign him to a contract in the interim.  He is still very valuable to this team no matter the outcome.

Of course but either way, free agency just dramatically changed for him. 

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

He played RF a few innings for the Angels and RF in Japan.

Plus, Its not like he would be the first player to learn a new position.

I’d rather the Angels have a legit and proven right fielder out there every day. 

He could return to pitching, but maybe a relief role would be better, reduced innings with less wear and tear. 

I've seen some folks on Twitter mentioning the possibility of making him a reliever. That's more complicated than him being a starter, though, since he'd obviously need to warm up during the game rather than before, and that could be impacted by where the Angels are in the batting order at the time. 

Truly sad to see Ohtani and Trout go down on same day, but that seems the Angels way.  I'm happy for the nosedive, they weren't making the post season anyway, if it convinces Moreno to sell. 

Please stop with the players have quit BS.  Angels simply are not a very good team.  They haven't been successful with Ohtani, without him they will battle Oakland and KC for the crummy award. 

Just now, Jason said:

I’d rather the Angels have a legit and proven right fielder out there every day. 

Cool

I am willing to bet after he recovers he plays a position other than DH.

You go ahead and grab a Renfro, or Grichulk, or Adell.

I prefer Ohtani over any of them.

Lets wait and see who is right.

Actually he has played a little RF before.  Certainly he would be better offensively than Renfroe.

We all know he’s not a position player so we shouldn’t kid ourselves. It would be cool though. Trying to turn him into a serviceable position player while he’s rehabbing an elbow injury does not seem like a winning strategy for the team. If he can still hit, try to sign him as a DH for a fraction of the cost everyone thought he was going to get. If he can pitch well in a couple of years then that will be a bonus. 

Just so I'm clear, people are cool throwing hundreds of millions after a guy who in all likelihood will only be able to DH next season, in the hopes that he'll a) magically be able to effectively transition to an actual defensive position in the future, b) return to form as a starting pitcher after (most likely) a second TJ surgery, and/or c) be able to transition into a reliever who is magically able to warm up in between at bats. Do I have that right? 

30 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

re: Trout

Wondering if the wrist is damaged or weakened long term. They removed that bone I believe.

Of course. God put that bone there for a reason and now it’s gone. Remove a random part or hose from your car’s engine and see if it stays the same. Now have we heard if this next IL trip is because of the hand or is it something else?