• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hypothetical Ohtani trades (Fangraphs)

lol that Toronto offer is nuts. 

A lot of those offers are intriguing but most prospects don’t pan out. I’m not sure they would have gotten any offers this deadline that would’ve been truly franchise-altering. Last deadline, maybe. 

It would’ve been nice to restock the farm but I really don’t think it would’ve titled the franchise’s needle as much as people would have thought. I’m almost preferring the go for it route now because if it fails, maybe Shohei walking gives the org the chance to truly do a big reset rather than desperately trying to compete with a flimsy team each year. Gives the FO the excuse to rebuild, Arte a chance to sell. I don’t know that the Ohtani return would have really done much to change the org’s outlook any more than any other given year this past decade. 

Edited by totdprods

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

lol that Toronto offer is nuts. 

A lot of those offers are intriguing but most prospects don’t pan out. I’m not sure they would have gotten any offers this deadline that would’ve been truly franchise-altering. Last deadline, maybe. 

It would’ve been nice to restock the farm but I really don’t think it would’ve titled the franchise’s needle as much as people would have thought. I’m almost preferring the go for it route now because if it fails, maybe Shohei walking gives the org the chance to truly do a big reset rather than desperately trying to compete with a flimsy team each year. Gives the FO the excuse to rebuild, Arte a chance to sell. I don’t know that the Ohtani return would have really done much to change the org’s outlook any more than any other given year this past decade. 

Whether they meant it that way or not, I think Fangraphs put together offers that they thought would be required for Perry to accept them - but maybe more than most of those teams would have offered. 

But yeah, good point about Ohtani walking about giving the opportunity for the Angels to reset. I suppose that would be a possible silver lining...if they had the wherewithal to actually do it.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Whether they meant it that way or not, I think Fangraphs put together offers that they thought would be required for Perry to accept them - but maybe more than most of those teams would have offered. 

But yeah, good point about Ohtani walking about giving the opportunity for the Angels to reset. I suppose that would be a possible silver lining...if they had the wherewithal to actually do it.

I appreciate that Arte has at least always presented that the Angels were going to compete every year, but they’ve never had means to support it, either payroll limits or lack of farm or typically both. They always had to try and thread this needle of winning now without ever rebuilding and without ever having money to invest in all the different areas of need.

Perhaps by going all-in this year, regardless of Arte selling, they can finally take a step back and say “hey we tried, but now we’re going to take a year or two to rebuild the farm” and go with that approach. Plenty of youth on the team for the foreseeable future. 

55 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Hahaahahhaa....

Ohtani is worth more than VladJR at this point because he can pitch and pitch well for 25-30 starts per year! And they are both solid MOB's....

That's a stupid proposal. Then they add in Adell. Great Read, Very Informative, Keep up the Great Work.... 👍👌👏 

Um, Vlad Jr has 2+ years of club control, so it is a trade for 2.4 guaranteed years of Vlad Jr for 0.4 years of Ohtani. Purely on paper, I'd take Vlad with only a bit of hesitation.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I appreciate that Arte has at least always presented that the Angels were going to compete every year, but they’ve never had means to support it, either payroll limits or lack of farm or typically both. They always had to try and thread this needle of winning now without ever rebuilding and without ever having money to invest in all the different areas of need.

Perhaps by going all-in this year, regardless of Arte selling, they can finally take a step back and say “hey we tried, but now we’re going to take a year or two to rebuild the farm” and go with that approach. Plenty of youth on the team for the foreseeable future. 

My only point of divergence here is that I think Arte HAS been willing to spend as the Angels have had a top 5-10 payroll almost every year. The problem, as far as money is concerned, is a layering of albatross contracts (Wells, Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Rendon) and generally poor return on remaining money, from Zach Cozart to Cody Allen. Now if they had a good farm, they could have been competitive, but if you suck at both player development and acquisition, you'll get...well, the last decade or so.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Um, Vlad Jr has 2+ years of club control, so it is a trade for 2.4 guaranteed years of Vlad Jr for 0.4 years of Ohtani. Purely on paper, I'd take Vlad with only a bit of hesitation.

So, you're giving up a TOR PITCHER & a MOB HITTER leading the MLB in Bombs and #2 in a few other categories. PLUS, another young Club controlled outfielder. For 2.4 years of VladJR.

I might be interested if they included TOR ARM as well...

Then it's 1 for 1 on the pitching side of Ohtani and 1 for 2 on the hitting side of Ohtani.

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

So, you're giving up a TOR PITCHER & a MOB HITTER leading the MLB in Bombs and #2 in a few other categories. PLUS, another young Club controlled outfielder. For 2.4 years of VladJR.

I might be interested if they included TOR ARM as well...

Then it's 1 for 1 on the pitching side of Ohtani and 1 for 2 on the hitting side of Ohtani.

Club control is huge in trades. So, yes. Vlad Jr for Ohtani would be a great return. 

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Hahaahahhaa....

Ohtani is worth more than VladJR at this point because he can pitch and pitch well for 25-30 starts per year! And they are both solid MOB's....

That's a stupid proposal. Then they add in Adell. Great Read, Very Informative, Keep up the Great Work.... 👍👌👏 

Oi...

Honestly, for Vlad Jr, I might honestly do it.

Is Vlad Ohtani? He'll no.

Bit Ohtani is still a good bet to leave at the end of this year.

With that the case, would Vlad Jr be about the best I could hope for to replace him straight up? Yeah, probably.

Especially if you work out a dirty deal ahead of it with Ohtani, who laughs with you, and likes the long term of it enough to come back this November