• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Never have I ever ....

11 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Witnessed a pro team (any sport) have such a high % of their active roster out with injuries.

The odds of this many guys getting hurt, have to be astronomical.   Even Pro football rosters are never this decimated.

Ohoppe, Moore, Neto, Gio, Druery, Rendon, Ward,Trout, Adell,  Stassi.

This is even with the players getting "rest days".  

Is this just how things are going to be from here on out?  Does MLB need to Reduce to a max of 4 games per week?  Todays players just don't seem able to shake off the nicks like players of the past. 

Winning Baseball has become more dependent on which teams stay healthy, as opposed to the best roster the GM puts together. 

it honestly sucks for the fans.  It sucks for the owners to see &50 mil + sitting out at any given time.

The game needs fixing.

It depends on who gets hurt and who stays healthy. There have always been injuries in baseball. Look how many games Mantle missed. Prior to Free Agency in the 70s, players were property of the teams and didn’t always play with their best interest, just the team’s. Now that MLB has become the business it is, players, medical personnel and coaching staff have to think long term as well as short as to what’s best for the player. Also better diagnosis and protocols have been implemented. A guy that takes a fast ball to the helmet probably won’t be in the lineup until they are out of concussion protocol. Medical imaging can see tears when prior to that, all we had were X-rays to see if a bone was broken. 
Limiting games in baseball is not the answer as it would mess up the scheduling as well as home team revenue.

If a player is hurt and tries to play through the injury, you will see a decline in their stats. Would you want to see a star player that is 60% healthy versus a backup that is 100%? Unless the backup is below replacement level, you would want the star to rest and get better so that they can contribute the rest of the season.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix to this team. They have been hit with some unlucky injuries. I hope that all the Angels hurt have a speedy recovery.

Trout seems to be following Mantle’s trajectory.   Both had their first full seasons at age 20, great power and speed early, still great power and good speed later on, and then the injuries started after some 6-7 seasons leading to just good power and speed.

Mantle retired after age 37 season, although alcoholism may have played a part in his breaking down?

At the All Star break, there are only 5 of 15 AL teams over .500

For 10 teams and their fan bases, the season is basically over.  This is a problem for MLB. 

I can't see how fan interest/ attendance will keep up in the 2nd half for those 10 fan bases, which will be a drag on overall attendance.

The NFL is much more balanced, and seem able to keep more teams in the playoff hunt much later in the season.

MLB has an injury problem, and a parity problem.

As for the Angels, the only reason to attend a game now is to watch Ohtani.   If he's gone, attendance will crater.

12 hours ago, stormngt said:

The inuries suck.   They have decimated the team.  You are right.  However bad mouthing the players for "being soft" because they are injured then you are a loser!

Calling people losers is quite literally the same thing as them calling players soft. Storm…it never ceases to amaze me how broken your brain is. 

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

For 10 teams and their fan bases, the season is basically over.  This is a problem for MLB. 

I can't see how fan interest/ attendance will keep up in the 2nd half for those 10 fan bases, which will be a drag on overall attendance.

The NFL is much more balanced, and seem able to keep more teams in the playoff hunt much later in the season.

As for the Angels, the only reason to attend a game now is to watch Ohtani.   If he's gone, attendance will crater.

What are you talking about? 8 of the 15 AL teams are above .500, two more are at exactly .500 coming into today, and the Angels are one game under. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What are you talking about? 8 of the 15 AL teams are above .500, two more are at exactly .500 coming into today, and the Angels are one game under. 

I think Swordsman is in an alternate dimension but for some reason his AW is the same as ours.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Calling people losers is quite literally the same thing as them calling players soft. Storm…it never ceases to amaze me how broken your brain is. 

Fans project. Loser fans call players soft. We have a guy on here who bitches about the players being soft. That same guy is convinced he could have been a major leaguer if he didn’t quit playing. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Fans project. Loser fans call players soft. We have a guy on here who bitches about the players being soft. That same guy is convinced he could have been a major leaguer if he didn’t quit playing. 

That guy is probably pretty damn awesome. I believe him.

25 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, at the break the teams record is only better than the  A's, Royals, Sox and Tigers in the AL.

Just have to do better than that.

Edited by REDneck

55 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

There’s only 17 games in the NFL so of course more teams are “in it” for longer 

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

There’s only 17 games in the NFL so of course more teams are “in it” for longer 

MLB has too many teams/fan bases completely out of the playoff picture by the All Star break.  Too many "stars" are out with injury. 

MLB is broke. 

MLB umpiring is broke

Every aspect needs to be reviewed and open to change.  This includes playoff format.  College baseball has a much more exciting championship tournament.

The Angels current 2nd half trajectory is to finish down with the A's.  With the injury situation, The team is not compelling to follow closely for the casual fan, and will be tortuous to follow for the rabid fan.

Edited by Swordsman78

8 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

It is not only the # of injuries but the timing that sucks. Players always go down when they seem to be peaking and contributing at a high level.

Angels poorest performing and slumping players rarely get hurt.

That’s not true. Rendon gets hurt all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

MLB has too many teams/fan bases completely out of the playoff picture by the All Star break.  Too many "stars" are out with injury.  MLB is broke.  Every aspect needs to be reviewed and open to change.  This includes playoff format.  College baseball has a much more exciting championship tournament.

The Angels current 2nd half trajectory is to finish down with the A's.  With the injury situation, The team is not compelling to follow closely for the casual fan, and will be tortuous to follow for the rabid fan.

I agree. I will pay far less attention to the MLB season moving forward. I have too many other things more important going on. 

14 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

It was an "observation".  I think the big contracts = more caution.

I can tell you that guys have played with contusions over the years alot, and did not need 7+ games off.

To suggest they "babying it" is an assinine observation.

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Your logic makes no season.  I am calling a guy a loser because if the insinuation that the players are soft because they ate hurt.  He isnt theur doctor.  He doesn't know the e tent of their injuries.

And to suggest my my comment him is the same thing is illogical.

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

Wrong.   Teams absolutely are more cautious with the timetable for reactivating dinged up players lately.

Where did you get your medical degree.  How did you come to the diagnosis that these injuries are really not severe?

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Your logic makes no season.  I am calling a guy a loser because if the insinuation that the players are soft because they ate hurt.  He isnt theur doctor.  He doesn't know the e tent of their injuries.

And to suggest my my comment him is the same thing is illogical.

Baseball is a game afterall, and the priority is protecting investments.  Players union has become very strong, and calls alot of the shots.  Fans who "live and die" about their teams making the playoffs are just being chumps.

Once a fan comes to grips with these facts, they don't get worked up about their team not making the playoffs.

Which is why Owners will pay the big contracts in order to have a box office draw.   Arte does not want to suffer through a rebuild in order to try and win a championship in 5 years, while missing out on $ millions of gate revenue in the process.   Any fan that doesn't understand this and gets worked up about their team sucking deserves their misery.

By the All Star break, only 6 or maybe 7 teams in each league have a chance for post season,  the rest of the teams better have a box office draw in a player if they want compelling attendance from July - Sept.

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Where did you get your medical degree.  How did you come to the diagnosis that these injuries are really not severe?

Where did you get YOUR medical degree?  OK if you say the injuries are severe then I guess we should take your word on it.