• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Warriors owner Joe Lacob confirms he’s considering bid for Angels

Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob said that he is considering a bid to buy the Angels, confirming what has been widely speculated for months, but he said he has not yet decided to go forward.

“It’s been reported that we’re interested, which is true, but I don’t know what we’re going to do yet,” Lacob said Thursday on a podcast hosted by The Athletic’s Tim Kawakami.

The topic was mostly basketball, but Kawakami asked about the chances of Lacob buying a baseball team. He said he’d be more interested in one of the Bay Area’s two teams, neither of which are currently for sale.

Lacob said the Angels “have a little bit of an attraction for me” because he grew up in Orange County and worked as a peanut vendor at Angel Stadium.

“It’s an older stadium that’s been around for a long time, but I always felt there were great possibilities,” Lacob said. “LA is a huge market and it’s part of that LA overall market. And they drawn over 3 million fans I think 17 out of the last 20 years. So we’re going to look at it. It wouldn’t be the easiest thing in the world to do, because it is not co-located like, perhaps a local baseball team might be. But it may be doable. We’ll see.”

Angels owner Arte Moreno announced in August that he would explore a sale of the franchise he’s owned since 2003. Last month at the Winter Meetings, commissioner Rob Manfred said that interested parties were looking at the financial data. Manfred said the Angels were hopeful a sale could be completed by Opening Day, but it remained to be seen if the bidding process could be completed that quickly.

View the full article

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He's shown he can run a championship organization at the peak of allowed payroll

That’s all I really care about when considering an owner.

Someone who invests the necessary funds in the team and doesn’t meddle more than the average owner.

Edited by Trendon

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

That’s all I really care about when considering an owner.

Someone who invests the necessary funds in the team and doesn’t meddle more than the average owner.

Then this is the guy you should be rooting for. He's the best owner in the NBA, the Warriors are the best run organization in the NBA. 

He spearheaded getting his team into a fantastic new arena, and every big player that's wanted to stay with them, he's opened up the wallet to makes it so. The Warriors have drafted well and haven't been irresponsible in free agency or the trade market, which is why they've been the best team for the last decade. 

Edited by Second Base

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Then this is the guy you should be rooting for. He's the best owner in the NBA, the Warriors are the best run organization in the NBA. 

Yep, and he’s been the guy I’ve been rooting for since Arte announced he was looking into selling the team.

Edited by Trendon

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He spearheaded getting his team into a fantastic new arena, and every big player that's wanted to stay with them, he's opened up the wallet to makes it so. The Warriors have drafted well and haven't been irresponsible in free agency or the trade market, which is why they've been the best team for the last decade. 

He is who I am rooting for.  He is not as rich as PSS, but we have a solid idea of how he will run the team based on how the Warriors are run.  He is very familiar with running a sports franchise, which is a huge plus.  He has significant local ties and is likely going to want to do anything he can to help this team win, which means spending significant amounts of money.

For the people who want the owner with the largest net worth to win, having a large net worth does not mean they will spend on the team.  I am rather confident Lacob and his group will.

Obviously I have no idea who the other bidders are, but of the three groups reported, he is for sure the one who I want to win out of those three.

30 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

He is who I am rooting for.  He is not as rich as PSS, but we have a solid idea of how he will run the team based on how the Warriors are run.  He is very familiar with running a sports franchise, which is a huge plus.  He has significant local ties and is likely going to want to do anything he can to help this team win, which means spending significant amounts of money.

For the people who want the owner with the largest net worth to win, having a large net worth does not mean they will spend on the team.  I am rather confident Lacob and his group will.

Obviously I have no idea who the other bidders are, but of the three groups reported, he is for sure the one who I want to win out of those three.

Well I like how he framed it, the idea that Angel Stadium, and it's market and location show a lot of potential. He understands creating a winning environment extends beyond the on the field product, to the stadium, advertising, land, etc...

I think he could accomplish what Arte tried but couldn't. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Seriously @Dark Bumpy. Keep politics out of the community forums not named AngelsSpin.com. You’ve been warned way too many times. 

I don’t see how a little break isn’t appropriate.  I have certainly earned the ones I received.  I also agree that we don’t need that here.

That said Lacob seems perfect.  A billionaire Angels fan with experience turning a sports franchise into a winner.  

Fingers crossed it’s him.

I am not trying to stir anything up here but the reality is we as Angel fans have enjoyed a reliable separation of sports and politics under Moreno.

Yes we know he is conservative, but he doesn’t foster a culture where that political stance is omnipresent and openly displayed.

Joe Lacob either endorses or at a minimum has no issue with Steve Kerr being very openly political, arguably at an obnoxious level.

My contained point is if we all like to keep politics on the side as much  as possible, are we excited about a prospective owner that evidently doesn’t have that boundary for key organizational people who are the microphone every day?

None of this post should be construed as initiating a political conversation that belongs elsewhere.

I’m just saying if we like our baseball kept separate from politics, should we at least consider taking a hard look at if we would like or dislike a somewhat openly political culture similar to the team already owned by Lacob?

I think it’s a fair question.  And I would expect people to be able to comment on this without it turning into a discussion about actual political topics.

I believe someone mentioned in another thread that the MLB ownership group prefers owners who specifically have ties to them, and that it is hard to "break into" the MLB as an owner.  That would seem to suggest Lacob would have an inside track, for whatever that's worth, into the winning bid, given Guber's Dodgers ownership.  Per Wikipedia:

Additionally, Guber owns and serves as Managing Partner of the Dodgers’ Triple- A affiliate, the Oklahoma City Dodgers. In 2018, the Oklahoma City Dodgers were named the Triple-A winner of the prestigious Bob Freitas Award, an honor presented to Minor League Baseball's top franchise based on community involvement, long-term business success, and consistent operational excellence.

Guber would have to sell his Dodgers' stakes obviously.  But again, just on paper, Lacob's team would seem to be the best we can possibly hope for.  Doubtful he'd spend like Cohen, given he isn't in the same stratosphere in wealth, but I think we'd see a very comfortable payroll increase, and would also see Ohtani retained.

I like that he's got a track record of business-building and especially, building a successful sports franchise.  Running a baseball team isn't the same as selling billboards

But I can't help but be a little miffed that the Angels are his 3rd choice - at best - and that his connection doesn't sound like it's to the Angels, just that he had a job as a peanut vendor at the stadium. 

Owners as fans are among the worst owners. 

But geez, can't he sound even a little enthused?  

(That said, he sounds miles better than PSS, and if he wins the bidding, his "enthusiasm" will be apparent)

I'm a big fan of Joe Lacob. Seeing that he grew up here makes it more special, however he did acknowledge that buying in NorCal makes better sense. 

I hope he buys the Angels, but i'll keep my mind open for others as well. Just have a feeling that he has interest but isn't 100% sure on it.

No matter what, if ANY new owner presents the funds to win, helps grow a great front office and provides the support needed to win then i'll be happy. Despite him having a crazy daughter or not. 

39 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I like that he's got a track record of business-building and especially, building a successful sports franchise.  Running a baseball team isn't the same as selling billboards

But I can't help but be a little miffed that the Angels are his 3rd choice - at best - and that his connection doesn't sound like it's to the Angels, just that he had a job as a peanut vendor at the stadium. 

But geez, can't he sound even a little enthused?  

(That said, he sounds miles better than PSS, and if he wins the bidding, his "enthusiasm" will be apparent)

Cohen grew up a Mets fan but he did try to buy the Dodgers first.  There is no guarantee that your top preferred team will be for sale in your lifetime.  I am assuming if he has to “settle” for us, he will still be very excited.

Given he runs the Warriors, it makes sense that we aren’t his top choice.  Still, he’d (likely) be a great owner, so I’d be happy with him winning.

As for not sounding as excited as you’d like, well, he is still a prospective bidder, so I think he would have to reign in any enthusiasm in that regard.

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Intriguing, only thing is that Lacob and Guber are approximately worth a combined $2.3 billion.

How much additional money is in the prospective ownership group?

Needs to be at least $4-5 billion additional net worth?

The Warriors are worth 7 billion dollars. Guber also owns part of the Dodgers, so presumably he'd have to sell that. They have plenty of money as a group.

And a group is better I think, as one owner (or one family) teams certainly have more trouble staying out of the baseball business. We've seen that with Moreno's big contract spending and with Autry's not having the financial heft to compete in the late 1980's and 1990's. We've seen it elsewhere in baseball with the McCourts, the Wilpons, and of course Steinbrenner. 

I also found this article with the richest owners in sports, it's not as if anyone has an owner worth $10 billion or more, except Cohen.

• MLB: Steve Cohen, Mets ($17.5 billion); Ted Lerner and family, Nationals ($6 billion); Todd Boehly, Dodgers ($5.3 billion); Mark Walter, Dodgers ($5.2 billion); Charles B. Johnson, Giants ($4.6 billion)

I also find that net worths are just speculation, unless the team is publicly held like the GB Packers, or the owner owns a lot of publicly held stock (like Musk, Ballmer, Bezos, and Gates).

If the main owners of the Warriors own 55% of the team, as been reported (35% and 20%), then their net worth is a lot more than 2.3 billion. Plus other people own the remaining 45% and presumably they would be involved. Forbes lists Guber's net worth at 800 million, but 20% of the Warriors is 1.4 B, and if he owns 10% of the Dodgers (just speculation, it would be another $500 Million if it's less, well, do the math. He also owns a stake in LA FC.

Henry Samuel (Ducks owner) may also join a group as he is one of the richest owners in Hockey. I don't think Stan Kasten would want to get in, and the Chargers owners have enough issues. Kasten he has the capital to just buy the team on his own, but perhaps the York family or another high profile franchise from another sport would be interested in buying a stake. And it's certainly possible Moreno keeps a small percentage or a corporation like Honda, Disney, or some other large pocket corporation with local ties decides to fork over some dough.

If Lacob ends up with the team, he will presumably find a baseball mind to help run the team. A lot of this board has issues with Carpino and the other upper management not being "baseball" guys, so perhaps Epstien which has been talked about a lot, or even Billy Beane, who is said to be good friends with Lacob.

Also is it "Lakob" or "Lacobe" ?? Anyone know?

2 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

If you believe that owners as fans are among the worst owners, then why are you upset that the Angels are his 3rd choice?

Edited by Trendon

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not trying to stir anything up here but the reality is we as Angel fans have enjoyed a reliable separation of sports and politics under Moreno.

Yes we know he is conservative, but he doesn’t foster a culture where that political stance is omnipresent and openly displayed.

Joe Lacob either endorses or at a minimum has no issue with Steve Kerr being very openly political, arguably at an obnoxious level.

My contained point is if we all like to keep politics on the side as much  as possible, are we excited about a prospective owner that evidently doesn’t have that boundary for key organizational people who are the microphone every day?

None of this post should be construed as initiating a political conversation that belongs elsewhere.

I’m just saying if we like our baseball kept separate from politics, should we at least consider taking a hard look at if we would like or dislike a somewhat openly political culture similar to the team already owned by Lacob?

I think it’s a fair question.  And I would expect people to be able to comment on this without it turning into a discussion about actual political topics.

<jack off emoji>