• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

12 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Can Matt Coutney be the new Jered Walsh?  Big LHed hitting 1bman in A ball.  Older for level but seems to be coming into his power.  

I was actually thinking Tucker Flint could be the new Walsh, since he’s doing it at a higher level.

Was interested so I checked this, our qualified minor leaguers with a wRC+ over 100:

Orlando Martinez (AA) - 143

Matt Coutney (Low-A) - 141

Jorge Ruiz (Low-A) - 136

Trey Cabbage (AAA) - 132

Kyren Paris (AA) - 126

Jo Adell (AAA) - 126

Michael Stefanic (AAA) - 124

Edgar Quero (AA) - 123

Tucker Flint (AA) -123

Gabe Matthews (High-A) - 113

Adrian Placencia (High-A) - 103

14 minutes ago, mmc said:

Was interested so I checked this, our qualified minor leaguers with a wRC+ over 100:

Jorge Ruiz (Low-A) - 136

Trey Cabbage (AAA) - 132

Kyren Paris (AA) - 126

Jo Adell (AAA) - 126

Edgar Quero (AA) - 123

Tucker Flint (AA) -123

I don’t understand why Coutney is in Low-A.

He’s 1.6 years older than the average aged player at Low-A, and he’s crushing it.

Weird for an org that is aggressive in challenging players.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Jorge Ruiz (Low-A) - 136

Trey Cabbage (AAA) - 132

Kyren Paris (AA) - 126

Jo Adell (AAA) - 126

Edgar Quero (AA) - 123

Tucker Flint (AA) -123

If Ward needs to get sent down to work out his struggles, Orlando Martinez may be a better candidate for the next man up in the outfield than Adell if the Front Office is intent on giving Jo the entire year in the minors.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

He’s 1.6 years older than the average aged player at Low-A, and he’s crushing it.

3 weeks ago he was hitting .195 with 4 xbh in 104 PA.  In his last 11 games he's hitting .451 with a 1.303 ops and 7 xbh in 51ab.  11bb/11k ratio.  

Also bear in mind that it's hard to find spots for 1b only guys.  Gabe Matthews is in high A, Flint in AA along with Maitan and Aguilar, and Cabbage, Jones, Padlo and Lamb in AAA.  And Sonny D fits in there somewhere.  They could give Flint more time in RF but then you've still got Jackson, Teodosio, Calabrese, Whitefield and Orlando Martinez.  

So I think it's just logistics at this point.  My guess is he'll get a bump soon based on his recent hot streak.  

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Might be getting treated similarly to how the Angels used Braxton Martinez a couple years back…the org doesn’t really see any viable MLB talent there, at least not something that isn’t buried with better options ahead, and prefers keeping him as a masher on a team that is lacking that. Keeps other prospects from trying to fill roles they may not be well-suited for long-term.

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Might be getting treated similarly to how the Angels used Braxton Martinez a couple years back…the org doesn’t really see any viable MLB talent there, at least not something that isn’t buried with better options ahead, and prefers keeping him as a masher on a team that is lacking that. Keeps other prospects from trying to fill roles they may not be well-suited for long-term.

Martinez was a free agent out of indy ball.

Coutney was a 10th round pick.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

Martinez was a free agent out of indy ball.

Coutney was a 10th round pick.

Doesn’t change much. Like already said, he’s kinda buried on depth chart and they may be keeping him there so that team has someone to play the role of run-producer since no one else quite fits the bill. 

Minasian talked a little bit about keeping the AA team together last year for the playoff push, taking away one of their best offensive players could push other guys out of their more projectable table-setting roles or roles they aren’t ready for yet.