• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

From MLBTR: What will the Angels do with Adell?

beatlesrule

1 hour ago, Revad said:

I think one of the  benefits of depth before you need it is playing the hot hand.  There will be completion for at bats.

and rest.  Which is something we hear very little about in terms of performance.  But they probably have metrics.  A tweaked ankle.  Not feeling 100% because of the flu.  You took a HBP in the ribs.  Or just general wear and tear from the season.  

36 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

and rest.  Which is something we hear very little about in terms of performance.  But they probably have metrics.

If Tamin has a bullpen rest/usage algorithm, I’d imagine he has something similar for position players.

If they haven‘t already used it, maybe they’ll be able to now with better depth and a first-time manager.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If Tamin has a bullpen rest/usage algorithm, I’d imagine he has something similar for position players.

If they haven‘t already used it, maybe they’ll be able to now with better depth and a first-time manager.

This is way past excel spreadsheets I guess.

Edited by Revad

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I think that is the key thing that depth provides.  We don't have to see players "gut it out" and play injured, which ultimately doesn't benefit anyone.

Ward was another example of this.  Clearly he was struggling to recover from injury, and he just played instead and played terribly.  After he recovered, he had a strong finish to the season.

The best teams have the depth to have their injured players just rest and recover.  Having all the infielders that we do should help towards that.

4 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Walsh on May 3rd:

.213/.276/.313/.588

To think a 30 year old Walsh will return to the numbers of his one good season is sophomoric. He may, he may not.  

We don't know what he is and neither does Minasian!!!!

That is why he brought in proven guys like Urshela and Drury. The team is better prepared for a collapse/injury to guys like Walsh or Rendon.

Baseball is a game of continuous adjustments. The guys who can adjust have long careers. I don't know if Walsh is that guy yet.

I can understand being skeptical over a player's performance, but his minor league track record was always rather strong too - he posted some very strong wRC+ over the years.  As for his MLB track record, 2020 was an abbreviated year for all, but he performed well.  2021 he performed well.  And while he started slow in 2022, he did pick it up and was doing fairly well until he nosedived, likely due to injury.

I think if you look at his overall track record, you can see room to be optimistic about how he can hit.  Now, he did have a very significant injury and procedure, so it is fair to question how he will recover from that surgery.  IF he does return to full health though, it would seem reasonable to expect him to return back to how he has mainly hit throughout his career, especially if he is ultimately platooned, which seems likely given his track record and our offseason acquisitions.