• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Senga and Rodon ........

Condor1984

4 minutes ago, Condor1984 said:

.........both seemed to go for what appeared an amount that should have the Angels in the mix. Not going to get a top SS, maybe a middling SS, so iseemed the money wasn't outrageous but still, not more SP help!

They have five starters that had better than league average ERAs last year. If you were a free agent would you sign with the Angels or Mets?  Angels or Yankees?

Some teams acquire enough pitching by spending 25 million plus per year, per starter. Personally, I'd rather see the Angels spend every early draft pick on a starting pitcher. 

And it actually speaks positively about the Angels that they've been able to develop pitchers internally. Patrick Sandoval, Reid Detmers, Jose Suarez, Jaime Barria, Chris Rodriguez... With Chase Silseth and Ky Bush on the way. 

Are any of them aces? No. But I believe that group has three or four mid rotation starters. 

The Yankees are being ripped for this deal, unless your name is Heyman who thinks every move they make is amazing. 

Rodon has pitched two full years--2016 and 2021. That's it. He's constantly injured. A 6-year deal for him is kind of nuts. It's CJ Wilson. 

I would not have minded Bassitt, and apparently they tried. Eovaldi has injury issues as well. At this point, I really feel like they are best served either trading Rengifo and Suarez for an upgrade or signing Wacha as their 5/6 and having good depth. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The Yankees are being ripped for this deal, unless your name is Heyman who thinks every move they make is amazing. 

Rodon has pitched two full years--2016 and 2021. That's it. He's constantly injured. A 6-year deal for him is kind of nuts. It's CJ Wilson. 

I would not have minded Bassitt, and apparently they tried. Eovaldi has injury issues as well. At this point, I really feel like they are best served either trading Rengifo and Suarez for an upgrade or signing Wacha as their 5/6 and having good depth. 

Agree on Rodon.  The Yankees have tons of money, so they can take that kind of risk on Rodon.  I don't think Rodon would have been ideal for us, because we don't, and paying Rodon all that money to be frequently injured does not make much sense for us currently.

I do think there is a benefit to the 6 man rotation we have in that it helps guys like Eovaldi stay healthier than they otherwise would have been.  I do like Eovaldi, although all things considered, I'd like to avoid giving up both our 2nd and 3rd round picks in a draft, given our need/desire to improve the farm.  It's not a deal breaker, as we clearly valued Anderson enough to give away our 2nd, but I do think this farm system needs to be built out a bit more.

That said, I'd be fine if they just opt to sign someone like Lugo to fill out the rotation.  Even if we don't sign anyone, I think we have good enough SP depth that I'd be comfortable with what they have, but if they opt to punt on SP, I'd  want them for sure to have decently upgraded SS, 4th OF, and a backup catcher.

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

nice avatar

remember when someone mentioned he looks like this guy?

10 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels “development” of Chris Rodriguez so far is a success story?

I would certainly say so, yes. 4th round high school pick, reaches the majors with fair amount of success despite minimal minor league appearances. Slated to return from injury this year, can succeed in either role. 

Most 4th round picks never sniff the majors. So yeah, the Angels development of C-Rod shouldn't be viewed as anything other than a success for the team. 

1 hour ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Senga's the only one I really wish the Angels had gotten in on, and even that's debatable as he's an unknown commodity. The Rodon deal is awful (as is Correa for that matter). 

Personally, I like the Rodon deal a million times more than the Correa deal.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

December 15th really isn't all that long into the offseason.  

I was actually thinking how much faster this offseason has gone than previous offseasons (not including last year, which was a different circumstance, but other offseasons).  It seems a lot of the big names would wait until February to sign, but all but one has already signed.  Once Swanson signs, basically all that remains are the middle/lower tier names.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I was actually thinking how much faster this offseason has gone than previous offseasons (not including last year, which was a different circumstance, but other offseasons).  It seems a lot of the big names would wait until February to sign, but all but one has already signed.  Once Swanson signs, basically all that remains are the middle/lower tier names.

Yeah, this off-season has actually been really quick. At this point, I'll be surprised if Swanson isn't signed by New Years. 

On 12/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, AngelStew43 said:

We may be better off with the continued development of Sandoval, Detmers, and Suarez.

100% this. The Angels organization has to get away from the philosophy of addressing needs via FA. It has not been working and my hope is the new owners will see the value in scouting, drafting and development. The 3 you mentioned have the potential to be #2 starters so they absolutely should continue to with them. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

100% this. The Angels organization has to get away from the philosophy of addressing needs via FA. It has not been working and my hope is the new owners will see the value in scouting, drafting and development. The 3 you mentioned have the potential to be #2 starters so they absolutely should continue to with them. 

I think they'll still have to fill some needs via FA. But they should be like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Astros--develop a good farm system, then fill the holes where needed.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

To be fair, I think that this is exactly Minasian's viewpoint and emphasis.  He has largely avoided significant contracts, with the exception of re-signing Iglesias, who he then shipped out anyway.

I think Minasian is for sure a draft and development guy, given his pedigree.  I think we will see more success in the development and promotion of our prospects than we did under Dipoto and Eppler, but only time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I think they'll still have to fill some needs via FA. But they should be like the Yankees, Dodgers, and Astros--develop a good farm system, then fill the holes where needed.

Of course but hopefully in the future the need to do so is just here and there.