• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022 Non-tender deadline

mmc

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

I'm a little surprised Maile got non-tendered. I preferred him to Suzuki as backup catcher last year. Wouldn't mind him bringing him in as insurance in case Thaiss or O'Hoppe aren't ready to be the backup.

I don't think O'Hoppe will be on the roster as a backup.  I'm assuming when he is ready to fully take over the starting role (or for a catcher, start about 60-65% of the games), he will be promoted.  I imagine O'Hoppe will begin in AAA, and if all goes well, a mid-season promotion in which he is installed as the main starter, with Stassi becoming the backup.

I am interested to see what they will do with the 2nd catcher spot.  While it would seem Thaiss should get it, due to a lack of options, I wonder how comfortable the FO is with Thaiss as a defensive catcher.  We'll see what they do.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I don't think O'Hoppe will be on the roster as a backup.  I'm assuming when he is ready to fully take over the starting role (or for a catcher, start about 60-65% of the games), he will be promoted.  I imagine O'Hoppe will begin in AAA, and if all goes well, a mid-season promotion in which he is installed as the main starter, with Stassi becoming the backup.

I am interested to see what they will do with the 2nd catcher spot.  While it would seem Thaiss should get it, due to a lack of options, I wonder how comfortable the FO is with Thaiss as a defensive catcher.  We'll see what they do.

I worded that badly. I meant to say if O’Hoppe or Thaiss aren’t on the roster as the other catcher with Stassi.

I agree that, once he’s deemed ready, O’Hoppe will get the main playing time and Stassi will in essence be the backup.

For the second catcher spot, I think they sign a veteran to a minor league deal and then have O’Hoppe, Thaiss, and the veteran “compete” for the job.

If O’Hoppe or Thaiss can’t handle it, the veteran gets the backup gig or maybe some catcher is out there on waivers by the end of Spring.

Edited by Trendon

19 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I worded that badly. I meant to say if O’Hoppe or Thaiss aren’t on the roster as the other catcher with Stassi.

I agree that, once he’s deemed ready, O’Hoppe will get the main playing time and Stassi will in essence be the backup.

For the second catcher spot, I think they sign a veteran to a minor league deal and then have O’Hoppe, Thaiss, and the veteran “compete” for the job.

If O’Hoppe or Thaiss can’t handle it, the veteran gets the backup gig or maybe some catcher is out there on waivers by the end of Spring.

I think if Thaiss isn't deemed a good enough defensive catcher, he might be DFA'd this spring to free up a roster spot (since he's out of options).  With Urshela now "on the bench" as a 3B/1B, Thaiss doesn't really have a role to play.  

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think if Thaiss isn't deemed a good enough defensive catcher, he might be DFA'd this spring to free up a roster spot (since he's out of options).  With Urshela now "on the bench" as a 3B/1B, Thaiss doesn't really have a role to play.  

Unless they trade Walsh and give his role to Thaiss and Thaiss is a first base and third string catcher. 

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Unless they trade Walsh and give his role to Thaiss and Thaiss is a first base and third string catcher. 

While a possibility, I can’t see a team trading for Walsh right now.  His value is so low.

Or rather, I should say, it wouldn’t be a good idea to trade him, in that our return would be very low

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Agreed.

The only other path for him to stay is if he rakes offensively and they give him a look at 1B instead of Walsh.

3 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

1 year removed from being an all star and left handed power bat. Could chalk up the poor season to his injury (although personally I don’t think thoracic outlet effects hitting).

Right.  But just imagine you are looking at Walsh from the other team's perspective.  Would you give up one of our solid prospects (Bush, Neto, Bachman, etc) in exchange for Walsh?  I absolutely would not.  Until he proves he is healthy and raking again, no team will give up any significant trade asset for him, especially considering he plays the least valuable position on the field.

With regards to Thaiss, he's been around a long time now and hasn't really shown an ability to do anything at a major league level. They could keep him around as a utility player but he's not really a guy you want to see on the field. He's looked terrible in left field, terrible at second, terrible at third. He's fine at first but he can't hit, his bat plays at catcher but can he actually catch?

Ultimately if he sticks around it will be because the team thinks he is a major league caliber defensive catcher, but I have my doubts that he actually is that. There just isn't value in a player who can play a lot of positions poorly.

Given Stassi's performance last year, and the O'Hoppe acquisition, catcher is probably the hardest decision the team is going to have to make this offseason. If Stassi were a better bet I could see them rolling with Thaiss to start the season, but it's a tough call with a real possibility that the Angels have 0 decent catchers next year.