• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2022 Non-tender deadline

mmc

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Barria and Thaiss are the only real options to be non tendered I would think. Walsh has an injury but he also has an option. Rengifo has no options left but turned the corner, same with Suarez. Am I missing anyone?  

I really like Barria as a multi-innings reliever from the bullpen. He did good last year considering he was in a strange place with the pitching staff.

28 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I really like Barria as a multi-innings reliever from the bullpen. He did good last year considering he was in a strange place with the pitching staff.

Yea I wasn’t saying either should be non-tendered but we don’t have a lot of options when it comes to the question of who won’t get tendered a contract. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Barria and Thaiss are the only real options to be non tendered I would think. Walsh has an injury but he also has an option. Rengifo has no options left but turned the corner, same with Suarez. Am I missing anyone?  

It’s the deadline for tendering arbitration eligible players. Anyone else can be released or DFA’d any time. 

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s the deadline for tendering arbitration eligible players. Anyone else can be released or DFA’d any time. 

But, IIRC, there is a loophole at the non-tender deadline where a team can non-tender a player, making them a free agent, and then re-sign them to a minor league deal without them needing to clear waivers.

So maybe the Angels do that with someone they want to keep on a minor league deal like Diaz, Rosenberg, or Weiss.

Non-tender candidates would be Barría and Walsh.

Canning might’ve been one if his injury prognosis was bad, but I think it’s an easy call to keep him now that he’s throwing again.

If they don’t like Barría stuff and potential arbitration award due to his low ERA (despite bad peripherals) they could non-tender him.

Only way I see them non-tendering Walsh is if there’s a bad prognosis on his recovery from surgery.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Non-tender candidates would be Barría and Walsh.

Canning might’ve been one if his injury prognosis was bad, but I think it’s an easy call to keep him now that he’s throwing again.

If they don’t like Barría stuff and potential arbitration award due to his low ERA (despite bad peripherals) they could non-tender him.

Only way I see them non-tendering Walsh is if there’s a bad prognosis on his recovery from surgery.

I just can't see either being non-tendered.....though it isn't a high profile role, Barria was lights out in long relief this past year and he has been pretty good overall in his big league career, not great but pretty productive....he can also be a spot starter or the opener in a bullpen game....I think you have to give Walsh a chance to show what he can do when healthy, after what he did in 20 and 21....prognosis seemed to be pretty good but I guess the club knows more than I do....

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I just can't see either being non-tendered.....though it isn't a high profile role, Barria was lights out in long relief this past year and he has been pretty good overall in his big league career, not great but pretty productive....he can also be a spot starter or the opener in a bullpen game....I think you have to give Walsh a chance to show what he can do when healthy, after what he did in 20 and 21....prognosis seemed to be pretty good but I guess the club knows more than I do....

I agree that I don’t think either get non-tendered, but I was just outlining the scenarios in which they might.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don’t know that he’s a non-tender, but I want the Angels to get Isaiah Kiner-Falefa to add to the SS mix. Even if he just settles in as a UT IF, it’d be a much more appealing option that 4A waiver claim types.

He’s projected to make $6.5M in arb.

I don’t seem them paying that much for a utility infielder. If they see him as a starting SS, then I think they might pay him that.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

He’s projected to make $6.5M in arb.

I don’t seem them paying that much for a utility infielder. If they see him as a starting SS, then I think they might pay him that.

Yeah, I wouldn’t get him with the intent of him being the UT IF…just that if he was relegated to that (such as Fletcher and Rengifo pushing him down) it would be great to have him as depth, even if that’s all he was.

I like what he offers though as a starting option, especially if OF and RP are upgraded.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

But, IIRC, there is a loophole at the non-tender deadline where a team can non-tender a player, making them a free agent, and then re-sign them to a minor league deal without them needing to clear waivers.

So maybe the Angels do that with someone they want to keep on a minor league deal like Diaz, Rosenberg, or Weiss.

Or maybe those 3 choose to be free agents and can deal with all 30 clubs.