• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

On 10/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, Stradling said:

Clearly you don’t know where I’ve been or where I’ve watched games. 

Don't forget to attach that letter you wrote him and any replies he sent you.  

👆How to say you haven't been to sporting events in NY or Philly without saying you haven't been to sporting events in NY or Philly.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, Stradling said:

Well fans hold owners accountable back there which is evident by the Mets playing the Yankees in the World Series every year. 

Right. How many World Series have the Angels played in since their inception as a franchise? How many have the Yankees played in during that same time span? How many have even the lowly Mets played in during that time span? Or even the inept Phillies? 

11 hours ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

👆How to say you haven't been to sporting events in NY or Philly without saying you haven't been to sporting events in NY or Philly.

I’ve been to a handful of Yankee and Mets games in NY.  I’ve been to an MLS game in Philly. But go ahead and talk nonsense. 

9 hours ago, failos said:

The worst kind of AW poster 👆

There’s worse but yea it’s bad. It’s “I’ll make assumption guy” that doubles down on being stupid.  Once again the media putting pressure on an owner means nothing. It’s worked so well with the Knicks and Jets. 

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

There’s worse but yea it’s bad. It’s “I’ll make assumption guy” that doubles down on being stupid.  Once again the media putting pressure on an owner means nothing. It’s worked so well with the Knicks and Jets. 

He’s definitely up there because you can tell he isn’t trolling. It’s quite sad, really.

thoughts and prayers, @NYC Douche Fan

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, Stradling said:

Cherry-picking the teams to bend the facts to what you're trying to say... funny you omit the Yankees and Giants and have no response to  which approach has gotten more titles... but to address what you have to say, yes: with the Knicks, their owner is impervious to criticism and hated in New York. True about the Jets, to some extent, though there is some real fan apathy there. (But then again, since 1961, the Knicks have more titles than the Angels, and the Jets have as many.)

My original point here is that if management is making bad moves, it is a good thing for them to hear it from fans, and with the exception of the Knicks, here in NY, it gets changes. The changes don't always pan out-- though they sometimes do-- look what the managerial change (and getting to play the Angels) did for the Phillies, for example-- but continuing with a bad plan is not going too fix it faster.

Just now, NYC Angel Fan said:

Cherry-picking the teams to bend the facts to what you're trying to say... funny you omit the Yankees and Giants and have no response to  which approach has gotten more titles... but to address what you have to say, yes: with the Knicks, their owner is impervious to criticism and hated in New York. True about the Jets, to some extent, though there is some real fan apathy there. (But then again, since 1961, the Knicks have more titles than the Angels, and the Jets have as many.)

My original point here is that if management is making bad moves, it is a good thing for them to hear it from fans, and with the exception of the Knicks, here in NY, it gets changes. The changes don't always pan out-- though they sometimes do-- look what the managerial change (and getting to play the Angels) did for the Phillies, for example-- but continuing with a bad plan is not going too fix it faster.

Neither approach has gotten more titles.  Good management and good players got more titles, not some myth about the media or fan accountability.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Psst, those things aren’t related.  

...because you say so?

I lived in the Bay Area for a long time surrounded by A's fans and that fan base was so unquestioning and passive about Billy Beane's decisions that they continued with the same approach that develops good players and trades them away before they get expensive... and incidentally, before they develop to be able to get over that final hurdle and win a championship. Beane-- who has a financial stake in the team and profits off of this approach-- has absolutely carte blanche to do this from the fans, and so they continue to never sniff a championship year in and year out. And they won't until the next time they have developed a good team, they get some pushback from somebody (fans, the media) when they try to sell them off.

1 minute ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

...because you say so?

I lived in the Bay Area for a long time surrounded by A's fans and that fan base was so unquestioning and passive about Billy Beane's decisions that they continued with the same approach that develops good players and trades them away before they get expensive... and incidentally, before they develop to be able to get over that final hurdle and win a championship. Beane-- who has a financial stake in the team and profits off of this approach-- has absolutely carte blanche to do this from the fans, and so they continue to never sniff a championship year in and year out. And they won't until the next time they have developed a good team, they get some pushback from somebody (fans, the media) when they try to sell them off.

Well, yea, because I said so, which is exactly what you are doing which is saying it is true because you say so.  

Since 2001, 12 of the 20 winners have been from markets without difficult media.  The winners from tough media during that time has been the Yankees, Cubs, White Sox and Boston.  4 for Boston (because they were good), one for Philly, Cubs, Yankees and White Sox.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Since 2001, 12 of the 20 winners have been from markets without difficult media.  The winners from tough media during that time has been the Yankees, Cubs, White Sox and Boston.  4 for Boston (because they were good), one for Philly, Cubs, Yankees and White Sox.  

I think a strong argument could be made that the Braves' fans can be pretty tough on them (at least in the last 20 years). Not sure about Houston... but again, my point here isn't that critical media and fans is a pre-condition for a championship; but if a team is going in the wrong direction and won't change, that will continue unnecessarily longer if fans and media don't bring pressure.

Meant to say you're spot-on about good management and players winning championships. If your organization is well-run, then it doesn't require pressure. But if the wrong people are in place and ownership is blind to it (which was the original point of my original post here), then pressure should be brought to bear. That is, unless you're making a Billy Beene-like point that the manager's role is not very important. Then, that would be a different discussion.