• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: "Prospective buyers may not want a manager with a long term contract, perhaps the solution is to extend Nevin for one year"

mmc

18 hours ago, Hubs said:

This would be worse. A winning team would bring more revenue, and that would be appealing to new buyers. 

Nevin is a horrible manager, who has done nothing to deserve a permanent role.

And yet I’d still rather have the “what could be” of Nevin than the “what he is” of Maddon. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

They aren't going to rebuild. The Nationals did this because they had already lost Rendon, Scherzer, Trea, Zimmerman, et al and were clearly in a bad place. Arte will try and pump up the value as much as possible. The appeal will be Trout, Ohtani, and probably a team designed to be competitive. I think it is much more likely Arte spends to upgrade the team next year than he trades away Ohtani or rebuilds in any way. 

I'd be be very surprised if we make any meaningful additions before the sale. A prospective buyer isn't going to want expensive assets on the books, especially given our already long history of failed contracts. Trout and Ohtani will stay and there will probably be a lot of trimmed fat both on the roster and within the organization (cutting of back office staff such as HR, marketing, etc)

19 hours ago, Hubs said:

This would be worse. A winning team would bring more revenue, and that would be appealing to new buyers. 

Nevin is a horrible manager, who has done nothing to deserve a permanent role.

14 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Nevon's awful, but the team won't be any better next year so I see no problem with having a lame duck manager until we get new ownership and the team begins a proper rebuild. 

Help me understand why Nevin is such a bad manager?  I don't think we know anything about Nevin except that he can successfully manage a clubhouse when everything seems to be going wrong.  He has one of the worst rosters to work with, a GM who is lost, hardly any helpful scouting, limited options and inconsistent production by players who should be carrying the team.  How does any of this suggest that Nevin is bad?

25 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Nevon's awful, but the team won't be any better next year so I see no problem with having a lame duck manager until we get new ownership and the team begins a proper rebuild. 

So if the team was winning, Nevin would be great?

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Help me understand why Nevin is such a bad manager?  I don't think we know anything about Nevin except that he can successfully manage a clubhouse when everything seems to be going wrong.  He has one of the worst rosters to work with, a GM who is lost, hardly any helpful scouting, limited options and inconsistent production by players who should be carrying the team.  How does any of this suggest that Nevin is bad?

1. The Mariners nonsense. I'll die on the hill that it was immature and low intelligence

2. His inability to manage the team through the low points of the season. Even with Trout back and the pitching staff healthy this late into the season the team has completely collapsed. Scioscia managed much worse teams to better records and the team played sound fundamental baseball in the process. Not this raging dumpster fire of guys who can't even execute a throw to home plate

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

1. The Mariners nonsense. I'll die on the hill that it was immature and low intelligence

2. His inability to manage the team through the low points of the season. Even with Trout back and the pitching staff healthy this late into the season the team has completely collapsed. Scioscia managed much worse teams to better records and the team played sound fundamental baseball in the process. Not this raging dumpster fire of guys who can't even execute a throw to home plate

.1 This is probably a generational difference.  The Mariner "incident" was more common when I played than it is now.  Mike Trout had numerous pitches thrown way too inside after his single man wrecking crew series with the Mariners.  Nevin did exactly what I learned to do when playing the game and I see nothing wrong with it. I subscribe to the Nolan Ryan approach to pitching, he said that half of home plate was his and the other half was the hitters'.  The hitter never knew which half Nolan would take with each pitch.

2.  His roster is garbage.  That means his players are inconsistent, unreliable and can not be counted on to make smart baseball plays every time.  That is not on Nevin, that is on Minasian.

I am not advocating for Nevin.  I am disagreeing with the simplistic conclusion that replacing Nevin somehow makes the Angels a better team. 

I wouldn't mind Nevin for another year. Speculate what you will about his managing skills, but one thing I love about Nevin is his grit and no nonsense temperament. He backs up his players and they seem to have a level of respect for him. 

Even if they get someone new, i would still want to see Nevin as a bench coach or something, seeing him lose his shit is pure entertainment.

4 hours ago, eligrba said:

He's 25-45. Players are slumping. Results matter. 

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

He's 25-45. Players are slumping. Results matter. 

Marginal players do not slump.  The results are due to marginal players on the roster which is Minasian's fault.  If results matter, why does Minasian still have a job?

Just now, eligrba said:

Marginal players do not slump.  The results are due to marginal players on the roster which is Minasian's fault.  If results matter, why does Minasian still have a job?

Maybe he shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

How many GMs around the league do you see get fired less than 2 years into their tenure?

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

He had them one game under in 55 games. They're losing a lot of close games, defense is terrible. Pitching decisions are even more suspect than under JM.

With a way better roster.

He had Iglesias and Bradley in the bullpen.

He had Syndergaard and Lorenzen instead of Mayers and Toussaint in the rotation.

He had Rendon, a more productive Jared Walsh, Marsh, and a more productive Ward and Stassi in the lineup.

People do understand that Joe Maddon was extremely overrated, right? I mean even in Chicago. That roster was killer, built by Theo. His contributions to this team were a loose, fun environment and and old school way of thinking (1985!). Except our fundamentals were and continue to be bad. The affects of 2 1/2 years of coaching are still showing themselves. Our base stealing was and is awful, our defense was really bad until this year, and it has now reverted to being awful (after Rendon got hurt, granted), and our base running is terrible. We still cannot bunt in necessary situations, and still cannot advance runners in extra innings effectively. Maddon spent more time complaining about both extra innings and the 3-batter rule than he did adjusting his strategy and practice to meet the need. 

Do people still think Maddon was doing a good job? He was not only doing a bad job but very clearly using his influence with Arte to affect roster decisions that were mostly really bad.