• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels recall Janson Junk, option Austin Warren

mmc

I'm hoping we start seeing some of the AA guys soon, but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't until September, if at all.

I'd also like to see Robinson Pina promoted from A+ to AA, and if he holds up, to AAA. Something seems to have clicked: His walk rate went down from 5.3 last year to 2.8 this year, yet his K rate is basically the same. I think he could be a good reliever.

13 hours ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

The Barria thing is bizarre and has been for years now for a team desperate for pitching. He has a 1.000 WHIP and a 143 ERA+ this season.

I don’t get it either.  He’s as good as Suarez.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which is why they need to give him a try for the rest of the season.

If he does well enough, can stick in the lower part of rotation in 2023.

If not, then trade him.

Haven’t they tried that for 2-3 years? He does decently but then still gets relegated out? There’s clearly a reason why that we fans aren’t privy to.

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Haven’t they tried that for 2-3 years? He does decently but then still gets relegated out? There’s clearly a reason why that we fans aren’t privy to.

I don’t know what his trade value is but if they are hesitant about the rotation, why not keep him in long relief, where he seemingly has thrived?

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

People say, "why isn't Barria given another chance to start?"

Meanwhile Barria has pitched 48 innings with a 2.81 ERA in long relief this year. Seems like the perfect role for him.

True enough but the point is when we’re throwing these young starters out there, who is better for that game.  Barria’s numbers would not be the same if he was starting, but is the only one suited for that role?  No high leverage innings?  We have other guys for that.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

People say, "why isn't Barria given another chance to start?"

Meanwhile Barria has pitched 48 innings with a 2.81 ERA in long relief this year. Seems like the perfect role for him.

He's never really been consistently bad as a starter though. Not great. But he was young and developing still, and holding his own. He was pretty safe to give you 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 2 BB, 4 K sort of start. Just fine for a #5-#6 type.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He's never really been consistently bad as a starter though. Not great. But he was young and developing still, and holding his own. He was pretty safe to give you 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 2 BB, 4 K sort of start. Just fine for a #5-#6 type.

Yes, he's a solid option. I just don't think it is some huge controversy that the Angels prefer him in the bullpen. I think the idea is that you want every starter to either at least be a solid #3-4 or have the potential to be a solid #3-4. To be fair to Barria, up until this year, he actually performed better as a starter, and at a solid #4 level. And it is kind of weird that he wasn't more of an option in 2020-21, despite his terrible 2019. But given that the Angels need relievers too, and Barria has done very well this year, it makes sense that he stays there.

I personally think Suarez should be a reliever as well, in the hopes that he can re-capture what he did last year while in relief. But I also see why the Angels want to give him more of a chance to figure it out - now's the time.

Of the Suarez's ten starts this year, two have been good, three OK, and five really bad. That's not a good ratio. But I think the Angels are probably smart to keep him in the rotation for the rest of the year, to see if he can improve. If not, he should be in the bullpen next year.

And Junk has obviously earned more starts - not as much because he deserves it, but because the Angels need to assess what they have.