• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does the Mets' success this year change your opinion of Billy Eppler?

Taylor

• 5 months later...

It's interesting that Cohen is getting all the credit (and/or criticism) for the Mets' ridiculous off-season.

Yet it's Eppler who's closing the deals. When he was with the Angels we saw his ability to convince big stars to stay or join the team, for better (Ohtani and Trout) or worse (Rendon).

I don't give much credit to Eppler in terms of signing these players to gigantic contracts.  When your owner will outbid everyone, it is easy to spend that money.  He has to "close the deal," but I am sure outbidding others helps quite a bit.

The key part in terms of determining his success will be the kind of farm system we see developed over the next few years.  If he is able to use all of Cohen's financial resources to start to develop a farm system like Friedman has in LA, I will give Eppler full credit for that and for being great at his job.

All that said, I think he did a pretty decent job while here, considering the circumstances he inherited and the owner he worked for.  It is early, but I do feel like Minasian is superior to Eppler.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

It's interesting that Cohen is getting all the credit (and/or criticism) for the Mets' ridiculous off-season.

Yet it's Eppler who's closing the deals. When he was with the Angels we saw his ability to convince big stars to stay or join the team, for better (Ohtani and Trout) or worse (Rendon).

To be fair, I think Rendon was as simple as we offered him the most (but I have no idea).

Trout was willing to sign that deal a few years before it happened. So I'm not sure it was Eppler on that either.

That's not to say Eppler wasn't good by any stretch. He landed Ohtani.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

With a networth of $17.5B and being 66 years old what else does have to do with his money...

I'm at the Salty Dawg bar in Orange right now. It's "slutty Santa outfit" day with the staff.

Me personally, I'd make better use of that money here than on ballplayers. 

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I don't give much credit to Eppler in terms of signing these players to gigantic contracts.  When your owner will outbid everyone, it is easy to spend that money.  He has to "close the deal," but I am sure outbidding others helps quite a bit.

It's kind of like giving your real estate agent credit when the seller accepts your offer.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

pretty sure it wouldn't be one or the other

I could totally see how Verlander with Scherzer makes the Mets an absolute machine. And them winning will bring a lot of happiness to lots of fans.

Still. If it were me? Yeah.... the talented staff here today would be getting the Correa money right now.

I truly wish you were all here to see this. Santa Claus IS real. There's TWO of them. Bringing gifts of beers. 

I feel like Ralphie getting his BB gun right now.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

On 10/19/2022 at 10:54 PM, Taylor said:

I don't typically bump my own threads.