• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How would you feel about a rebuild if the Angels fail to make the playoffs in 2022?

mmc

How would you feel about a rebuild if the Angels fail to make the playoffs in 2022?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about a rebuild if the Angels fail to make the playoffs in 2022?

• I would support a rebuild
    • I would be against a rebuild
    • I would be indifferent either way

If the Angels once again fail to make the playoffs, and Ohtani won’t agree on an extension in the offseason, how would you feel if the organization just decided to go full rebuild and punt on trying to win with the current core?  We have some emerging young talent that would be kept (Marsh, Adell, Detmers), and with the pieces we would return in trades/get from high draft pick, it’s not hard to envision us eventually developing a core that could be even more successful than what we’ve gotten from the Trout era.

This of course is dependent on Ohtani not re-signing.  Other people probably feel different, but I personally have no interest in entering 2023 with expiring Ohtani.  My preference is to sign him but if he won’t, the team has tough decisions to make.  How would you feel if the team decided to punt and try to get the most value out of everyone older (Trout, Ohtani, Ward, Walsh, Stassi, Rendon?, Fletcher?, Iglesias?), and instead looked to do a hard reset to try again with a new core built around Marsh, Adell, Detmers, and our other prospects + whatever additional futures we get?

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

Tear this shit down & start over.

It's a moot point because Arte will never let it happen.

Arte, you've meddled enough. Sell the team.

Agree with you that this is moot because Arte won’t let it, but I still like to hopelessly pretend the decisions of this team are made by smart baseball people

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

The quality of which has been lacking under the tenure of Arturo Moreno.

The guy that re-signed Trout, poured millions into the bullpen, re-signed Stassi, and secured a supposedly great closer? He needs to build depth in this team—that’s all we’re lacking. You don’t win with guys like Wade, Lagares, Duffy, and the other idiots that keep popping into the lineup.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Care to explain why?

When has trading a superstar ever resulted in a good return? You want us to be like the Marlins who got jackshit for Cabrera? You want this organization to take a gamble on prospects in return for Trout? You want us to trade Walsh of all people? I’m sorry but that doesn’t warrant a conversation. It’s flat out dumb.

2 minutes ago, failos said:

The guy that re-signed Trout, poured millions into the bullpen, re-signed Stassi, and secured a supposedly great closer? He needs to build depth in this team—that’s all we’re lacking. You don’t win with guys like Wade, Lagares, Duffy, and the other idiots that keep popping into the lineup.

Well if you’re going to argue 5 losing seasons is “quality” then it’s not surprising you’re ok with status quo

1 minute ago, failos said:

When has trading a superstar ever resulted in a good return? You want us to be like the Marlins who got jackshit for Cabrera? You want this organization to take a gamble on prospects in return for Trout? You want us to trade Walsh of all people? I’m sorry but that doesn’t warrant a conversation. It’s flat out dumb.

Yes, I very much want this organization to gamble on prospects in return for Trout.  We are going absolutely nowhere.  And yes, if we are rebuilding, Walsh goes as he is about to be 29.

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

Well if you’re going to argue 5 losing seasons is “quality” then it’s not surprising you’re ok with status quo

Where did I say that? Sorry for not getting on board with your radical, batshit plan, man.

4 minutes ago, failos said:

How does a team build depth without getting a free agent for every position (which doesn't always work out: see GMJ, Pujols, Hamilton, and now Rendon) without good scouting? There is a reason why teams like Tampa always seem to always be competitive with a modest payroll--it's because of their scouting.

Teams like the Dodgers, Astros and Yankees have been perennially successful because they have scouted well, drafted well, and then spent money to fill the few holes necessary (and even then have done their homework). 

Sure, Arte's willing to spend the money, although he seems to covet certain players who haven't worked out for us in the past, or now (Rendon). That's obviously done jack shit for this franchise.

1 minute ago, failos said:

Where did I say that? Sorry for not getting on board with your radical, batshit plan, man.

You countered a post about quality management with Billy 5 losing seasons Eppler.  I don’t care if you agree with me, I’m just curious what you see as the pathway forward.  You’re acting like blowing up this core is crazy, well what do you call continuing to dump money and resources into a core that hasn’t won a single thing?  What is your solution?

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

You countered a post about quality management with Billy 5 losing seasons Eppler.  I don’t care if you agree with me, I’m just curious what you see as the pathway forward.  You’re acting like blowing up this core is crazy, well what do you call continuing to dump money and resources into a core that hasn’t won a single thing?  What is your solution?

Didn’t see you mention Eppler, but I already posted my solution—the team needs depth, needs better scouting. Not blowing the team up.

16 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

How does a team build depth without getting a free agent for every position (which doesn't always work out: see GMJ, Pujols, Hamilton, and now Rendon) without good scouting? There is a reason why teams like Tampa always seem to always be competitive with a modest payroll--it's because of their scouting.

Teams like the Dodgers, Astros and Yankees have been perennially successful because they have scouted well, drafted well, and then spent money to fill the few holes necessary (and even then have done their homework). 

Sure, Arte's willing to spend the money, although he seems to covet certain players who haven't worked out for us in the past, or now (Rendon). That's obviously done jack shit for this franchise.

Upton is off the books, they have money to find some solid guys. We also have a promising group of young players.

This franchise just keeps getting the math all wrong.  

Two superstar 7 WAR players plus 10 other 1.0 WAR players that equal 24 WAR is not the same as  12 players that each produce 2 WAR.   That's hyperbole and not realistic but lends to the approach that the halos have been taking.  

It they 'rebuild' under the same construct then it's not gonna matter.  Don't leave gaps because on a game to game basis those gaps don't get filled.  Over the course of a season you might have a top 5 offense.  But game to game, if you're superstar goes 0-4, you're fucked.  

So rebuild the idea of how you construct your team if you're gonna rebuild.  To assume that a superstar is going to be a superstar in every game they play is just so stupid.