• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Balanced scoring

Angels are 1st in MLB in runs scored. It's amazing how balanced they have been throughout the games so far.

2nd in runs scored innings 1 thru 6 (Including 1st in runs scored in the 1st inning)

2nd in runs scored from the 7th inning on

2nd in runs scored from the 8th inning on

3rd in runs scored from the 9th inning on

2nd in runs scored in extra innings (They've only had one extra inning game so far, but they scored 6 runs)

Not sure I'd use the word balanced, but damn they're dangerous as sh*t.  I know people are kinda worried about Rendon, but his numbers will be there.  I think we also know that Ohtani and Walsh will be solid over the course of the year but to me it's about the lineup length created by good Marsh and Ward.  Marsh is gonna have those extreme swings.  But Ward has really impressed me the most with his zone management and his willingness to hit for average when he knows he's not going as good.  Which I actually think has been happening over the last few games.  6 walks.  0 XBH.  A few hits but mostly oppo.  It can't be emphasized enough how important his consistency has been and how his at bats have set a tone for the whole lineup.  Walsh, Ohtani, Rendon and Marsh are all guys who could K 3-4 times in a game or have a dynamic outing but they're more all or nothing.  Even Trout has a bit of that.  But knowing that Ward is gonna be on base almost two times a game is just invaluable.  And I still think Stassi is gonna get it going soon.  

That's why I'd really like to see stefanic get a shot.  He'd just add another layer of consistency to the lineup.  Slap a ball to right.  Take a walk.  Occasional XBH.  He's just another guy to drive in.   

So it's consistency if not balanced.   Trout and Ward steady and that good game from one of the others.  Add one more guy to that steady list and it's just drooly (that my new word and I sticking with it).  

Kind of interesting, but Jared Walsh’s .774 OPS produces a OPS+ of 128, which is the same he had last year when he had an OPS of .850.

Anthony Rendon’s .669 OPS is equivalent to a league-average 100 OPS+.

Goes to show just how far down offense is this season. 

We certainly can expect more, especially from Rendon and Ohtani, but there’s a chance that peak might not be as high due to the deadened ball.

And while they’re near the top in HR, the fact that they have such a contact-heavy team that draws walks is certainly helping them avoid offensive issues other teams are having that rely heavily on the HR. It’s also likely why they’re pitching so well. The Yankees improved defensively big time and they’re also winning a lot. Offenses around baseball weren’t prepared to adjust to a less HR-favorable environment.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Runs scored:

Innings 1-3: 53

Innings 4-6: 43

Innings 7-9: 48

That is pretty balanced. 

Interesting… watching the past couple weeks it seemed as though they really struggled innings 1-3 and then started scoring later in the game. 

guess my perception was full of shit lol 

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

Interesting… watching the past couple weeks it seemed as though they really struggled innings 1-3 and then started scoring later in the game. 

guess my perception was full of shit lol 

You aren’t the only one that feels that way which is what made me look.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I hope the day off didn't give Ward time to think, what the he'll am I doing?, and falls back to earth. 

He's going to fall back down to Earth eventually. No way he sustains the highest OPS in baseball. 

But hopefully his new base level is much, much higher than it used to be.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Not sure I'd use the word balanced, but damn they're dangerous as sh*t.  I know people are kinda worried about Rendon, but his numbers will be there.  I think we also know that Ohtani and Walsh will be solid over the course of the year but to me it's about the lineup length created by good Marsh and Ward.  Marsh is gonna have those extreme swings.  But Ward has really impressed me the most with his zone management and his willingness to hit for average when he knows he's not going as good.  Which I actually think has been happening over the last few games.  6 walks.  0 XBH.  A few hits but mostly oppo.  It can't be emphasized enough how important his consistency has been and how his at bats have set a tone for the whole lineup.  Walsh, Ohtani, Rendon and Marsh are all guys who could K 3-4 times in a game or have a dynamic outing but they're more all or nothing.  Even Trout has a bit of that.  But knowing that Ward is gonna be on base almost two times a game is just invaluable.  And I still think Stassi is gonna get it going soon.  

That's why I'd really like to see stefanic get a shot.  He'd just add another layer of consistency to the lineup.  Slap a ball to right.  Take a walk.  Occasional XBH.  He's just another guy to drive in.   

So it's consistency if not balanced.   Trout and Ward steady and that good game from one of the others.  Add one more guy to that steady list and it's just drooly (that my new word and I sticking with it).  

Consistent is probably the better word. I remember one year where the Angels fielded a lineup in August in which each hitter was batting .300, or better. Obviously, Mathis didn't play that day.

If you look at the OPS by slots in the batting order, they're well above league average in slots 1-5, but 6 thru 9 are another story.

Ranking in OPS by batting order position:

1 - 2nd

2 - 9th

3 - 5th

4 - 7th

5 - 2nd

6 - 25th

7 - 16th

8 - 14th

9 - 25th

By position:

C - 16th

1B - 17th

2B - 23rd

3B - 17th

SS - 27th

LF - 22nd

CF - 1st

RF - 1st

DH - 9th

7 hours ago, gurn67 said:

1 - 2nd

2 - 9th

3 - 5th

4 - 7th

5 - 2nd

6 - 25th

7 - 16th

8 - 14th

9 - 25th

this is what I mean by a lack of balance.  that's a pretty top heavy lineup.  One that's gonna continue to rely on a big game from one of the top 5 (6 when Ward is in).  Don't get me wrong, it's very good.  And I like it.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this is what I mean by a lack of balance.  that's a pretty top heavy lineup.  One that's gonna continue to rely on a big game from one of the top 5 (6 when Ward is in).  Don't get me wrong, it's very good.  And I like it.  

Little easier to get away with a plan like that when Trout and Ohtani are two of those 5 too. Especially Trout.