• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Post Lockout Scenarios

Hubs

It's been a few months since we really were on different plans and armchair GMing, but since I have hope the lockout will be over by the end of February lets start talking roster again. I believe public pressure will start to increase post Super Bowl and they'll have it resolved by March 1, March 7th at the latest. If its later, then They'll push the start of the season one week, and fit those 5 or 6 games into Saturday DH or extend the season by a few days.

That being said, this Angels roster is still incomplete, and there are a lot of directions they can go.

Post the three most important moves they should make, in your opinion, to round out the roster and set themselves up for a successful 2022.  

My opinions have changed during the lockout. Before it, I was in favor of trading for a starter using Adell or Marsh as ammo, plus signing a SS.

Now I want them to 

1) Sign Carlos Rodon for 3/57. I saw that number here and it made sense to me. https://sportsnaut.com/3-best-carlos-rodon-free-agent-destinations/

2) Add a BP depth piece like Steve Cishek or Ryan Tepera.

3) Add an Infielder via trade or Free Agency that has some proven success at 2B/SS. There's almost nobody, so maybe we wait until 2023.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It's been a few months since we really were on different plans and armchair GMing, but since I have hope the lockout will be over by the end of February lets start talking roster again. I believe public pressure will start to increase post Super Bowl and they'll have it resolved by March 1, March 7th at the latest. If its later, then They'll push the start of the season one week, and fit those 5 or 6 games into Saturday DH or extend the season by a few days.

That being said, this Angels roster is still incomplete, and there are a lot of directions they can go.

Post the three most important moves they should make, in your opinion, to round out the roster and set themselves up for a successful 2022.  

They absolutely need a catcher and a shortstop. There are probably 1000 available PA's there at replacement level at best.

1) Get a SS. Yes, they need to improve the rotation, but I feel like the floor in the rotation is much higher than the floor at SS. Ideally, get Correa or Story. If not, get DeJong or maybe even Kim (with a sweetener from SD?).

2) Get a SP who you can reasonably expect to provide solid, but maybe not spectacular innings. Greinke, Pineda, or Kikuchi?

3) Add a couple more RP's. I think the bullpen could be a real strength if they add another couple good bullpen arms. If you can add 2 more RP's and push the young guys further down the depth chart, I think you set yourself up for more success. And good/decent RP's don't cost a ton relative to other positions.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

They absolutely need a catcher and a shortstop. There are probably 1000 available PA's there at replacement level at best.

I'm with you on the SS. But I think they're planning on Wade and Thaiss right now.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I'm with you on the SS. But I think they're planning on Wade and Thaiss right now.

I suspect you may be right, and maybe it's a gamble that pays off. Unfortunately these are two guys who have not caught at the major league level, who were moved off of catcher once already, and in Wards case it was because he was going to wash out.

Considering our pitching woes this feels like a recipe for disaster.

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I suspect you may be right, and maybe it's a gamble that pays off. Unfortunately these are two guys who have not caught at the major league level, who were moved off of catcher once already, and in Wards case it was because he was going to wash out.

I think he's saying Wade for SS, not Ward for C.

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

My opinions have changed during the lockout. Before it, I was in favor of trading for a starter using Adell or Marsh as ammo, plus signing a SS.

Now I want them to 

1) Sign Carlos Rodon for 3/57. I saw that number here and it made sense to me. https://sportsnaut.com/3-best-carlos-rodon-free-agent-destinations/

3) Add an Infielder via trade or Free Agency that has some proven success at 2B/SS. There's almost nobody, so maybe we wait until 2023.

1) Rodon's the best option out there, but we'll see if Arte's willing to spend that much money.

2) Agreed, 100%.

3) If they don't spend on Correa/Story, the best options would be via trades. I like DeJong and Kim as options who are have a high floor because of good defense, offensive upside, and reasonable contracts.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Now I want them to 

$19 m for Rodon ain't happening when there is only about $10 m left in the budget. There is a good chance Rodon is damaged goods. Bad shoulder.  Shitshek has already signed with the Met's. I think the Angels are going to let Wade, Mayfield, Rengifo, Velasquez all fight it out to see who wins the ss job. They will probably give Davis a looksee at ss also. Catcher and a swingman are my guess as to where the rest of the budget goes to. 

I've had this sinking feeling that the Angels are going to end up depending WAY to much on Michael Lorenzen-- as in, he is the second starter they are counting on.  Hope I am wrong. 

If the A's really begin the fire sale in ernest, I'd love to get Bassitt-- should be able to get him for a reasonable cost as a 33 year old with one year remaining. He's basically the EXACT pitcher we need. 

We need a catcher and SS. I suspect we are going to use the trade market to fill at least one of those needs; the remaining options at both positions are "bleh." We might end up having to pick over the waiver wire to fill the catcher position, especially since it feels like there is a massive shortage of catching right now.

3 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

We might end up having to pick over the waiver wire to fill the catcher position, especially since it feels like there is a massive shortage of catching right now.

That might not be the worst option, catching wise. If not, and Thaiss isn't ready, they probably just go with Wallach since he at least has recent MLB experience and is in the org.

4 hours ago, greginpsca said:

$19 m for Rodon ain't happening when there is only about $10 m left in the budget. There is a good chance Rodon is damaged goods. Bad shoulder.  Shitshek has already signed with the Met's. I think the Angels are going to let Wade, Mayfield, Rengifo, Velasquez all fight it out to see who wins the ss job. They will probably give Davis a looksee at ss also. Catcher and a swingman are my guess as to where the rest of the budget goes to. 

Cishek hasn’t signed with the Mets.

39 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Shit. I swear i read that he was getting a 2 year deal from Eppler, and getting a million dollars a year more than he got here. I don't really care were he plays, as long as it isn't here.

In the right role (starting an inning) he would be a good addition to most any bullpen.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

1) Get a SS. Yes, they need to improve the rotation, but I feel like the floor in the rotation is much higher than the floor at SS. Ideally, get Correa or Story. If not, get DeJong or maybe even Kim (with a sweetener from SD?).

2) Get a SP who you can reasonably expect to provide solid, but maybe not spectacular innings. Greinke, Pineda, or Kikuchi?

3) Add a couple more RP's. I think the bullpen could be a real strength if they add another couple good bullpen arms. If you can add 2 more RP's and push the young guys further down the depth chart, I think you set yourself up for more success. And good/decent RP's don't cost a ton relative to other positions.

I think this is the best approach as well. Don’t think the money is there to do this, but I’d love to see them get a guy like Story, then someone like Greinke, then a McHugh. 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ward I think gets the 1st/3rd/OF backup spot, with Trout Adell and Marsh no need for a CF only backup like Lagares. 

Wade should get the platoon SS job as of now but who is the platoon partner? 

On 2/9/2022 at 12:09 PM, greginpsca said:

Once again we don’t know what the budget is and we don’t know what they have to spend. I think they can spend around $20 more. But others have said 10-15. But honestly it’s about year to year payroll not Lux tax