• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your Pitching Preference

BTH

If the Angels only have the payroll to choose one of these two options, which one would you prefer?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If the Angels only have the payroll to choose one of these two options, which one would you prefer?

• a) 1 high-end starting pitcher and no external closer.
    • b) 1 mid-rotation starting pitcher and Raisel Iglesias

This poll is closed to new votes

On 11/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, Angelsjunky said:

You really need to factor in a middle infielder, the bench, and bullpen as a whole.

I also think Arte will go over last year's payroll, but still try to hold payroll below the luxury tax threshold, which is $210M. So let's say they want to stay below $200M to provide a cushion - that means they have as much as $50M more to spend, not $32M (according to Fangraphs they're at $150M now, with last year ending up at $182M). I'm not saying that they'll spend $50M, just that I could see Arte green-lighting that much, given the circumstances. If we split the different, that's about $40M left.

That $150M includes players due arbitration: Stassi ($2.7M), Goose ($1.5M), and Mayer ($2.2M). Clearly they'll pay Stassi, and I think Mayer too, but I think they let Goose go. So it might be a tad below $150M.

So according to Fangraphs, we have:

Salaried players: Trout, Rendon, Upton, Syndergaard, Ohtani, Fletcher = $132.2M

Arb players: Stassi, Mayer = $4.5M

Pre-arb players: Walsh, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Adell, Marsh = $11.4M

That's 14 players, with 12 slots to fill with about $40M to spend (or anywhere from $32-52M or so).

I'm not sure why they don't list Mayfield, Rengifo, Warren, or any other reliever in the pre-arb group, but presumably some of those 12 slots will be filled out with some of those guys for cheap. So if we say half of those slots for $600K, that's still about $29M-49M, or roughly $40M for 6 players. 

AJ, kind of goes with my building of the 2022 team. I actually believe Arte is going to open the bank up to around high 195-205M which puts him 5M below the Threshold of 210M.

Which could allow them to upgrade quite a bit which is why you are seeing us in on Matz and some links to Stroman. I actually believe we will see a serious upgrade to the closer spot whether that is re-signing Iglesias or bringing in Graveman and a few setup men. ( Robertson, Knebel, McHugh).

I think we see them attempt 1-2 more starters and 3-4 pen arms (including a closer).

And then deal from who is left from last year to solve the BU - Catcher spot and SS. ( I suggested a Ahmed - ss and a William Contreras- C) both would help the up the middle defense immensely!

Like I said quite a bit last year. It's hard to position your defense even in an over-shift if you have too many kids that have enough issues in command and consistency in the strikezone.

How would you all feel if the Angels instead went crazy heavy on bullpen? As in, signed Iglesias, traded for one of Kimbrel/Hader, maybe even explored signing someone like Melancon (or another solid MRP), and then filled out the rotation by adding someone fairly unremarkable like Matz or Cobb?

I mean, Sandoval and Suarez looked pretty damn good last year, and Canning, Barria, Bachman and Detmers aren't a bad trio to work with. Daniel is an option sooner rather than later. Naughton and Junk represent another layer of depth. They can always swing a deal midseason. We have PTSD but the rotation has some quiet upside just with internal options.

Edited by totdprods

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

How would you all feel if the Angels instead went crazy heavy on bullpen? As in, signed Iglesias, traded for one of Kimbrel/Hader, maybe even explored signing someone like Melancon (or another solid MRP), and then filled out the rotation by adding someone fairly unremarkable like Matz or Cobb?

I'd totally be on board with that. Mid-rotation SP, Iglesias, 2 setup relievers.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'd totally be on board with that. Mid-rotation SP, Iglesias, 2 setup relievers.

Could make sense, especially with what we saw last season in Maddon pulling youngsters after 4-5 IP. Even Suarez and Sandoval didn't last long often. 

6-man rotation, no one pitching deep given their injury histories and youth...it actually makes some sense to invest heavily in a deep, lockdown pen. One durable SP isn't going to change the fact that the other 5 in the rotation might not be counted on delivering 30 GS/180 IP. 

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I mean, Sandoval and Suarez looked pretty damn good last year, and Canning, Barria, Bachman and Detmers aren't a bad trio to work with. Daniel is an option sooner rather than later. Naughton and Junk represent another layer of depth. They can always swing a deal midseason. We have PTSD but the rotation has some quiet upside just with internal options.

Well, apparently we have an offer on Matz, so maybe that's the direction.  

(I don't know why - but there's something about Matz that makes me think "Blanton, The Return" ...)

Somehow, I feel a little more comfortable with Cobb.

Kimbrel carries a $16m price tag, plus whatever we'd have to give up to acquire him for the year - the cost of both him and Iglesias would be pretty steep  - but would give us a lot of leverage.