• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who would you cut before August 31st?

mmc

We, of course, do not have to cut anyone, nor do we have to do so by August 31st, however seeing as we’ve already started to embrace a bit of a youth movement, and other teams are cutting players now to give these guys an opportunity to sign with playoff teams before the postseason eligibility deadline, I think it’s fair to explore freeing up roster spots.  Keep in mind we will also gain 2 in September.

Personally, I would cut Jose Iglesias, Mayfield, and Suzuki first, giving their spots to Rengifo, Stefanic, and Thaiss.  Wong will serve as the next man up if anyone gets hurt but it’s time to figure out what we have in these 3 players.

On the pitching side, I would cut Cishek, Mayers, Guerra, and one of Bundy and Quintana.  There are more than enough young pitchers who could use the audition but I’d still keep one of Bundy/Quintana around for depth.

Who would you cut?

None of them gets paid less cutting them at this point. Salaries are guaranteed to the end of the season.

I don't think you want to cut Iglesias since the Angels will probably try and re-sign him for next season.

Suzuki I wouldn't miss bit I don't think they look at Thais as a MLB starting or backup catcher.

Mayfield for Rengifo is kind of a wash since Rengifo really isn't  3rd baseman and is probably going no further than utility infielder for bench depth. When rosters expand he has a seat on the bench without moving Mayfield. Fletcher is probably going to be the guy that gets time off his cleats.

The more i think about it, the less likely i feel they DFA more than a couple of players. The players they add for september call up is just 2 more players. They are more than likely already on the 40 man. With the possible Free Agent and/or trade additions in the off season, they will need roster spots for those players. In addition, they have quite a few Rule 5 players they need spots for. With all the pending players that will be free agents at years end, it will be a big puzzle to put those roster pieces together for 2022. I think the trades and free agents will be first priority. Then dealing with the rule 5 guys, possibly keeping a couple of 40 man spots open for any late trades or fa signings. 

4 hours ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Mayfield-bring up Stefanic

Quintana- Criswell

Guerra-Marte

Suzuki-Thaiss

I would dump Quintana, Guerra, Slegers. Also from the 40 man roster I would release Thaiss, he has shown no ability to hit at the MLB level, he will be a career Minor Leaguer. I don’t see Rengifo as a regular at the top level. He, like Thaiss has shown little ability to hit at the big league level and his defense is suspect. The system is flush with middle infielders so Rengifo would not be missed. I would give Stepfanic a chance to show where he is at right now. He could be a low cost option as a utility player. 
Bring up two arms who could possibly help in the bullpen next season. Once again, this offseason will be an exercise in finding lottery tickets for the pen on the cheap and possibly signing an ace to a short term contract of two or three years tops (Scherzer or Verlander). They should try to extend both Iglesias’s and hope that Paris or Vera is ready to play SS in two years. If the universal DH goes into effect in 2022 then try to get something for Upton by paying most of his pay for his last year. 
 The 2022 season will be another tough one for the Angels, who have to be saving room on a long term contract for Ohtani ( hopefully not for more than five years). 

18 hours ago, Blarg said:

None of them gets paid less cutting them at this point. Salaries are guaranteed to the end of the season.

I don't think you want to cut Iglesias since the Angels will probably try and re-sign him for next season.

Suzuki I wouldn't miss bit I don't think they look at Thais as a MLB starting or backup catcher.

Mayfield for Rengifo is kind of a wash since Rengifo really isn't  3rd baseman and is probably going no further than utility infielder for bench depth. When rosters expand he has a seat on the bench without moving Mayfield. Fletcher is probably going to be the guy that gets time off his cleats.

We all know Arte is going after one of Story, Seager, Correa or Baez next year.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, Hells Rainbow said:

Mayfield-bring up Stefanic

Quintana- Criswell

Guerra-Marte

Suzuki-Thaiss

This, plus probably Slegers and maybe take a look at Kyle Tyler or Oliver Ortega.

If/when Trout comes back, I'd dump Lagares and call up Rengifo or Ward if he's back from injury.

I'm very tempted to say dump Jose Iglesias and insert Rengifo and give him a solid month plus to see if he can figure things out, but I have a sneaking suspicion they want to bring Iglesias back next year.

4 hours ago, True Grich said:

If AW had its way, the Angels would release about 25 players a year and fire everyone in the front office and on the coaching staff.

Given the team's performance over the last 6 years or so, it's hard to argue that would be a bad approach.

Edited by jsnpritchett

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This, plus probably Slegers and maybe take a look at Kyle Tyler or Oliver Ortega.

If/when Trout comes back, I'd dump Lagares and call up Rengifo or Ward if he's back from injury.

I'm very tempted to say dump Jose Iglesias and insert Rengifo and give him a solid month plus to see if he can figure things out, but I have a sneaking suspicion they want to bring Iglesias back next year.

Eh, Slegers has options, so just send him down.  

I'd DFA Guerra and open up a roster spot for one of Tyler, Ortega, or Criswell (in that order).
I'd probably consider DFA'ing one of Wong or Wallach or 60-day IL'ing Ward to make room for Stefanic and get him some at-bats.
DFA'ing Slegers or Hoyt to make room for Stefanic or a second arm is feasible too.

That's about it right now...

Edited by totdprods

Only a few more days, we know Slegers was put on outright waivers, interested to see who else is.  There’s several players on the roster who could’ve been without it ever being announced, and remained on the roster because they cleared.