• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Dexter Fowler, ahead of his rehab schedule, lends his presence to clubhouse

LOS ANGELES ― The chances of Dexter Fowler’s season being over have been downgraded from “definitely” to “probably.”

The Angels’ outfielder tore the ACL in his left knee in a collision on the field in Toronto on April 9, eight games into the regular season. Following surgery, he went home to Las Vegas to begin his rehabilitation. The 35-year-old outfielder rejoined the Angels on Friday and declared himself ahead of schedule.

How far ahead?

“I think I’m looking at mid-October, end of October,” he said. “If we make it (to the World Series), I should be all right.”

The Angels aren’t counting on it. As Fowler observed batting practice Friday afternoon at Dodger Stadium, Manager Joe Maddon reminded reporters that Fowler “is not here to play baseball.”

“He’s another force multiplier,” Maddon said. “Any time you get Dexter, the team is going to be better off for it. We’re excited to have him here. I love having him in that clubhouse.”

Yet Fowler’s presence was also a small measure of his progress. Now that he’s shed his crutches, Fowler said it made more sense for him to rehab with the Angels for the remainder of the season.

In July, Fowler joined the Fox Sports studio for its pregame coverage of a Red Sox-Yankees telecast. The appearance came at the invitation of Fox, Fowler said, and was a “one-time thing.”

“I don’t want people to think I’m done,” he said.

The Angels acquired Fowler in February from the St. Louis Cardinals, who are paying the majority of his $14.5 million salary this season. Fowler was the Angels’ Opening Day right fielder and hit 5 for 20 (.250) in seven games.

When he isn’t rehabbing the knee injury, Fowler’s primary role in the clubhouse will be as a mentor to his (mostly) younger teammates, including outfielders Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell.

“I’m eager to get around the guys and just pass on some knowledge,” Fowler said. “Anything I see. Being around here, if it’s the mindset, whatever. These guys are talented. It’s just getting over that learning curve a little bit.”

OHTANI RESTS

Shohei Ohtani was not in the Angels’ starting lineup Friday, and probably won’t be either of the next two days either.

The Angels have only used Ohtani as an outfielder in parts of eight innings this season, only late in games, and usually only when he starts on the mound. He will not pitch against the Dodgers this weekend.

“I’m certain that he would not mind going out there,” Maddon said. “It’s probably more our comfort zone over his right now. Beyond that, just watching him the last couple days, to me it looks as though he does need a little break right now. The guy hasn’t had really any kind of a break, including the All-Star break. It’s coming at a fortuitous time for him and us.”

Over his last eight games, Ohtani is hitting .143 (4 for 28) with no home runs.

ALSO

Jared Walsh (right intercostal strain) is “getting real close” to a return from the injured list, Maddon said. The first baseman took 30 swings yesterday and has not experienced any setbacks since he suffered the injury on July 26. … The Angels recalled right-hander Andrew Wantz from Triple-A Salt Lake and placed reliever Steve Cishek on the bereavement list. Wantz made four appearances during his first stint with the Angels and allowed three runs across 5⅓ innings.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Jaime Barría, 2-0, 4.12 ERA) at Dodgers (LHP Julio Urías, 13-3, 3.40 ERA), Saturday, 6:10 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

In terms of having any relevance whatsoever to the Angels present and future, I would be more interested in Mark Prior hitting 83mph on the gun in a private workout than Fowler doing well with his knee.

This guy will never see the field again in an Angel uniform.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

We knew that already. Him mentoring Adell and Marsh helps offsets the money spent. What he can't do on the field he can accomplish coaching. 

Fowler is a better coach than the actual coaches?  Fowler is a better mentor than Upton and Trout?

Forgive my detailed questions, but I just want to get this meaningless fluff narrative right.

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Fowler is a better coach than the actual coaches?  Fowler is a better mentor than Upton and Trout?

Forgive my detailed questions, but I just want to get this meaningless fluff narrative right.

Upton is not a spectacular fielder so I'd rather someone who understood routes to the ball give pointers. 

Fowler us an additional voice of experience. Just as you are an additional voice on this board.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Upton is not a spectacular fielder so I'd rather someone who understood routes to the ball give pointers. 

Fowler us an additional voice of experience. Just as you are an additional voice on this board.

giphy.gif

I am just farting around with you.

Brandon Marsh is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and nature reserve in Warwickshire, England. It is situated adjacent to the River Avon, near the village of Brandon, a few miles east of Coventry. The reserve is also the headquarters of the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.

@WicketMaiden?

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Brandon Marsh is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and nature reserve in Warwickshire, England. It is situated adjacent to the River Avon, near the village of Brandon, a few miles east of Coventry. The reserve is also the headquarters of the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.

@WicketMaiden?

If ever in England and you decide to visit the above, I wouldn't recommend staying in Coventry. The Luftwaffe took a liking to it in 1940 and pretty much levelled it. What replaced it isn't pretty. Try Stratford-Uopn-Avon 20 miles down the road, the home of Shakespeare and has 2000 years of history you can see over a day or two. Gorgeous architecture.