• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels showing interest in Max Scherzer

mmc

It seemed like he was close to going to the Padres earlier. Then talks cooled off and now Angels said to be involved in the mix. Maybe he said “get the Angels on the phone, I wouldn’t mind going there.”  Wishful thinking probably.  

Would potentially getting Scherzer also lead us to believe that management knows more about when Trout/Rendon will be ready? Could this be an olive branch to the organization regarding the bad press about the treatment of the minor leaguers?

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

It seemed like he was close to going to the Padres earlier. Then talks cooled off and now Angels said to be involved in the mix. Maybe he said “get the Angels on the phone, I wouldn’t mind going there.”  Wishful thinking probably.  

Shohei Ohtani 2.0

Hopefully no Padres have to miss their wife's birthday.

3 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Would potentially getting Scherzer also lead us to believe that management knows more about when Trout/Rendon will be ready? Could this be an olive branch to the organization regarding the bad press about the treatment of the minor leaguers?

ha ha ha

Longer this goes on more likely I think we get Max.

doesn’t matter what Padres or Dodger offer. Max essentially gets to pick where he goes and if he wants to play here with Ohtani and Arte’s writing the check he wants, he’s ours.

Unless Boras is playing the Angels again to get San Diego or Dodgers to up their own extension offers.

Edited by totdprods

I think this is just a case of some people getting their hopes up and a few people reading way too much into it.  I hope this time tomorrow Lou can quote me because I'm wrong.  For the record I'd love to get Scherzer and have him sign a 2 year extension as I think that would bolster the rotation with Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Baria, Canning and Detmers.  I just don't see the Angels being that attractive compared to some of the other suitors and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of San Diego or the Dodgers overbid.

1 minute ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I think this is just a case of some people getting their hopes up and a few people reading way too much into it.  I hope this time tomorrow Lou can quote me because I'm wrong.  For the record I'd love to get Scherzer and have him sign a 2 year extension as I think that would bolster the rotation with Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Baria, Canning and Detmers.  I just don't see the Angels being that attractive compared to some of the other suitors and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of San Diego or the Dodgers overbid.

The secret with Scherzer is the seven years of deferred money that has to be negotiated in any deal. That is $15M per year and the Nationals will have to eat a lot of what is left to even move Max. The Angels can actually offer to absorb more cash, rather than compete with the Dodgers and Padres farm systems. All that being said it is probably a complex negotiation and one we are less likely to win overall.

Just now, mmc said:

The other problem being the Dodgers, who also don't care about cash.

Another thought, too: The Angels could be a third party in a three-way deal, where the Dodgers send, say, Keibert Ruiz to the Angels and we send prospects/players to the Nationals/Dodgers.

50 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Maybe this is just cover to make it look like the Angels "gave it a shot."

That would make no sense.  So Arte says, “we gave it a shot” but at the end of the day, because it is about the extension and Scherzer waiving his no trade clause, he would be showing the world that Scherzer chose a different team.  That would show the world that Arte couldn’t get the deal done and that his team isn’t a desirable location.

59 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I love Scherzer, but unless they sign him to an extension before he comes here, please, please don't do this.  I can only imagine what they'd have to give up to beat the Dodgers or Padres for him.

You're in the heart of the Magic Kingdom of imagination. Let the aspirations fly.