• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Throwing Strikes

Do all pitchers go through the phenomenon of sometimes not being able to throw strikes? We saw how this happened to Ohtani and Chapman yesterday. I liked how David Cone described pitchers as marksmen, but should an MLB pitcher really have that sort of trouble? I don't consider pitching like bowling in that you always have to hit the front pin to get a strike. The strike zone is rather large. Thoughts? I'm only talking about throwing strikes, not being a successful pitcher which I understand takes a lot more finesse.

22 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Do all pitchers go through the phenomenon of sometimes not being able to throw strikes? We saw how this happened to Ohtani and Chapman yesterday. I liked how David Cone described pitchers as marksmen, but should an MLB pitcher really have that sort of trouble? I don't consider pitching like bowling in that you always have to hit the front pin to get a strike. The strike zone is rather large. Thoughts? I'm only talking about throwing strikes, not being a successful pitcher which I understand takes a lot more finesse.

The strike zone last night was really tight, but having said that sometimes a pitcher's mechanics are just a little off, maybe trying too hard, maybe rushing, maybe gripping the ball just a fraction too long or too little, and in something with as tiny margins as throwing at 95+ mph that can make a big difference to the outcome. Some days people are just a little off, in all walks of life, if you're an MLB pitcher an off-day with an umpire calling a tight strike zone makes for games like last night. (Which was fun as hell btw).

6 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

The strike zone last night was really tight, but having said that sometimes a pitcher's mechanics are just a little off, maybe trying too hard, maybe rushing, maybe gripping the ball just a fraction too long or too little, and in something with as tiny margins as throwing at 95+ mph that can make a big difference to the outcome. Some days people are just a little off, in all walks of life, if you're an MLB pitcher an off-day with an umpire calling a tight strike zone makes for games like last night. (Which was fun as hell btw).

Thanks, Wicket. I understand no one wants to throw the ball just down the middle, but walking three consecutive batters? That kind of wildness drives me bananas, but I'm not a pitcher so I'm not sure how difficult it is. I just want to understand it better. 

14 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Thanks, Wicket. I understand wants to throw the ball just down the middle, but walking three consecutive batters? That kind of wildness drives me bananas, but I'm not a pitcher so I'm not sure how difficult it is. I just want to understand it better. 

I don't pitch, but I do bowl in cricket and both actions have many moving parts. Some days for some reason things just don't quite flow, then you get frustrated and preoccupied with missing your spots and then a bit of a downward spiral can occur as you lose more focus and get more uptight and it all goes to crap. The best advice I give young bowlers is forget the last bowl you bowled, bowl the next one right.