• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predictions: Who do you think the Angels new play by play announcer will be?

BTH

On 3/4/2021 at 11:31 PM, jsnpritchett said:

I'll say it again: Thorne is too old for a big change like this, in my opinion. 

Thorne is great - but I agree - we need someone younger who would be the Voice of the Halos for years to come.

If Thorne were to get the job - maybe he could do double duty and take over PBP duties for the Anaheim Ducks.  Hockey is Thorne's real strong suit.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:37 AM, Stradling said:

Darron Sutton?

been there, done that.  He and Mario Impemba were fine for us. they left and the Halos promptly won their only World Championship -- must have been due to Physcioc and Hudler LOL !! or perhaps "Just Another Halos Victory"

On 3/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, True Grich said:

I don't have nearly the same amount of issues most of you have with either Terry Smith or Jose Mota. I'm not saying either one is great, but they don't bother me nearly as much as they appear to bother a lot of you. 

And... Jose Mota is just one heck of a nice guy and a good human being from what I can tell and understand.  It's hard for me to hate on a guy like him.  Smith, I don't know much about - but every time I've seen him in public, he's been nice to fans.

True Grich - join my misery loves company club -- I wrote something along the same lines about Terry Smith (i.e. not so bad, like his radio call etc.) and just received ZERO support/ backing for that from folks here - and from folks here who are long time knowledgeable Halos fans with strong reasons for their view -- so I figured they all couldn't be wrong and that the  Halos powers that be agreed more with their view or at least heard it loud and clear. Oh well. Mota should stay with the Spanish language broadcast - he is beloved by all Halos fans and by those listening to the Spanish language feed - which is a very important and loyal fan base. Besides, Jose is Manny Mota's kid - Manny Mota was a very popular guy as a Dodgers player, coach and club public affairs rep. Manny Mota was a fan favorite.

21 hours ago, disarcina said:

been there, done that.  He and Mario Impemba were fine for us. they left and the Halos promptly won their only World Championship -- must have been due to Physcioc and Hudler LOL !! or perhaps "Just Another Halos Victory"

I remember it was (I think) 1998 when it was Mario Impemba and Brian Barnhart.  They were decent.

It's hard for us to come up with our list because the talent is largely regional and unless you're regularly watching other teams, you're not going to know any names... and if they're working locally (outside of So. Cal) or doing minor league games, etc. - the chances of us knowing them goes down even more. 

I've listened to some other broadcasts on MLB network radio, but I couldn't tell you any of their names.

The only guy I sort of know is Mike Ferrin - who does some work with the D-Backs and is a host on MLB network radio. I like him a lot, but have no idea if he's a candidate or if he'd move to So. Cal with his family.

It’s probably difficult to hire a hockey guy, since the season including post-season will usually at least go through April.

Vasgersian has television and MLB announcer experience, and like Victor has an MLB Network background.

He’d probably be my #1 choice at this time.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 3/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, disarcina said:

True Grich - join my misery loves company club -- I wrote something along the same lines about Terry Smith (i.e. not so bad, like his radio call etc.) and just received ZERO support/ backing for that from folks here - and from folks here who are long time knowledgeable Halos fans with strong reasons for their view -- so I figured they all couldn't be wrong and that the  Halos powers that be agreed more with their view or at least heard it loud and clear. Oh well. Mota should stay with the Spanish language broadcast - he is beloved by all Halos fans and by those listening to the Spanish language feed - which is a very important and loyal fan base. Besides, Jose is Manny Mota's kid - Manny Mota was a very popular guy as a Dodgers player, coach and club public affairs rep. Manny Mota was a fan favorite.

Mota is pretty good on the Spanish broadcast, I think.

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

if Mota became the main PBP guy, then who is doing the Spanish broadcast? Maybe it'll be a simulcast...

I doubt we even have to worry about that.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It’s probably difficult to hire a hockey guy, since the season including post-season will usually at least go through April.

Vasgersian has television and MLB announcer experience, and like Victor has an MLB Network background.

He’d probably be my #1 choice at this time.

The problem with Vasgersian is that they'd have to have someone in place to do the PBP when Vasgersian does Sunday Night Baseball or when he does games other games on MLB Network or ESPN.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That would suck. 

Yep.  But there certainly doesn't really seem to be an outside candidate, does there?  And with 3 weeks left 'til Opening Day, they'd have to find someone quickly.  Presumably they wouldn't want to just throw a new person on the air with Gubi (assuming he'll remain the color man--and I've seen no evidence he won't) with no "practice" broadcasts like in Spring Training.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

if Mota became the main PBP guy, then who is doing the Spanish broadcast? Maybe it'll be a simulcast...

I'm confused as to who does the Spanish TV broadcast.  According to the Angels website, Mota only did the color commentary and hasn't done it since 2017:

https://www.mlb.com/angels/team/broadcasters

And Jose Tolentino does the Spanish radio.  So who are the Spanish TV announcers these days?