• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2013 Draft Thread

Raw projectable arms with upside. Gonna be a boom or bust draft. They had to try and get some guys with potential without much money. Tough situation. First wave ready 4-5 yrs from now.

To me this means they continue the free agent route for the next couple years at least.

Or they have decided they will go with that they have and try to get right.   I agree with you on money being a huge factor.  They don't have a lot to spend.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/sleeper-alert-kyle-mcgowin-rhp-savannah-state/

Sleeper Alert: Kyle McGowin, RHP, Savannah State

"McGowin pitches with some emotion on the mound. He gets fired up after giving up a base hit or a run, and that’s when he dials up his fastball—which has gotten as hot as 95 mph this year."

Raw projectable arms with upside. Gonna be a boom or bust draft. They had to try and get some guys with potential without much money. Tough situation. First wave ready 4-5 yrs from now.

To me this means they continue the free agent route for the next couple years at least.

I think it means that they are set internally for offense for a while, but what they need down the road is pitching. They have enough offense at the ML level (even if it isn't showing itself right now), and for replacements have Grichuk, Cron, Cowart, Lindsey, Borenstein, etc. As those players rise up, it would be nice to have some good pitching to go with it. And, as Ric Wilson told us, the depth of pitching was where this draft was, so, go after the strengths of the draft while the teams with the better picks fight over the few hitters in the crop.

Wanted to congratulate Michael Lorenzen for getting picked 38th overall. Youngest of four brothers that me, my brother and cousins all played against. He was actually the baby of the four and remember him playing t-ball and sitting in the stands watching his older brothers play with and against my family and I. Had no idea how good he became until a couple years ago.

I was actually coached by both his dad and his mom in separate years and his oldest brother is still a friend of the family and had been drafted by the Dodgers over a decade ago. Nice to see somebody I knew personally continue to succeed.

What are your thoughts on the Reds wanting to make him a pitcher exclusively? Is he a better pitcher or hitter?

Cooney, Harrison Florida Gulf Coast University (FL) RHP R/R JR 6'03" 200lbs DOB: 03/23/92Cooney began the season as Florida Gulf Coast's closer and excelled in that role before joining the starting rotation in April. Cooney's fastball sits in the low-90s and occasionally touches 95 mph out of the bullpen. He also throws a slider and changeup, both of which are Major League-average offerings when he is at his best. Cooney is a late-bloomer and still is more of a thrower than a pitcher. He needs more experience, but could remain a starter as a professional if he adds strength to his 6-foot-3, 196-pound frame and continues to develop his feel for pitching.

Don't let some other sources of rankings upset you all regarding the draft. What other organizations think and how they rank players isn't as important as what the talent is that we get on the field. I recall some organizations ranking Trout lower than where we picked him. That turned out okay. In fact, all the other organizations that drafted ahead of us had Trout ranked lower than where he should have been picked. Not all of these picks are money saving moves--it's just a desire on the Angels part to get the best talent they can overall. The Angels do their own talent evaluations and rankings, and it is clearly different than BA's. Just because it is doesn't make it wrong.

This is a good point.    I think though that the Clarke and Bolden early picks (also projected to go 2-3 rounds later) in 2010 have us wondering when a player is selected a few rounds before he's predicted to be.

Cooney, Harrison Florida Gulf Coast University (FL) RHP R/R JR 6'03" 200lbs DOB: 03/23/92Cooney began the season as Florida Gulf Coast's closer and excelled in that role before joining the starting rotation in April. Cooney's fastball sits in the low-90s and occasionally touches 95 mph out of the bullpen. He also throws a slider and changeup, both of which are Major League-average offerings when he is at his best. Cooney is a late-bloomer and still is more of a thrower than a pitcher. He needs more experience, but could remain a starter as a professional if he adds strength to his 6-foot-3, 196-pound frame and continues to develop his feel for pitching.

Nice to see that Chris Sale isn't the only pitcher at that suddenly basketball factory.   :)

What are your thoughts on the Reds wanting to make him a pitcher exclusively? Is he a better pitcher or hitter?

His arm is impressive and his oldest brother was actually drafted as a pitcher and was a very talented pitcher himself though never was able to make it out. Personally, I'd rather see him as a hitter from what I have seen, but I guess time will tell and I wish him the best of luck regardless how he's used.

Honestly though, some people here might be a little more familiar with the degree of his talent as I've mostly followed him from a personal perspective and hearsay through mutual friends and family.

Is this our first FL pick? I wonder how much not having Tom Kotchman would affect the draft. It seems that we are picking a lot more of the Midwest guys. Maybe that's where the talent is, or, maybe that's where the strength in scouting is in the organization now.

Could be the new market inefficiency. Everybody is aware of the talent in places like CA, TX, FL because of their longer seasons. Maybe these guys from the Midwest and Northwest, while they haven't had as much of an opportunity to showcase their talents (and thus not getting to the high levels of the draft) are going to be the ones that are easier to sign at or below slot.

Is this our first FL pick? I wonder how much not having Tom Kotchman would affect the draft. It seems that we are picking a lot more of the Midwest guys. Maybe that's where the talent is, or, maybe that's where the strength in scouting is in the organization now.

It's been said that the talent in FL this year is pretty well below average.

His arm is impressive and his oldest brother was actually drafted as a pitcher and was a very talented himself pitcher though never was able to make it out. Personally, I'd rather see him as a hitter from what I have seen, but I guess time will tell and I wish him the best of luck regardless how he's used.

Honestly though, some people here might be a little more familiar with the degree of his talent as I've mostly followed him from a personal perspective and hearsay through mutual friends and family.

Well, he can throw 98 on the mound and shows a potential plus breaking ball (I think he grades out as a reliever), but since he can be a CF I would think he'd have more value there. I'd like to see him be an everyday player as well.