• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Ten players the Angels could use, besides Trevor Bauer

The offseason is rolling on while the Angels are still searching for a general manager.

Because of the pandemic, the GM meetings aren’t happening this week. Also, the uncertain financial state of the game is likely to create a slow free agent market. All of that gives the Angels a little extra time to hire someone without missing too much. They are expecting to hire someone before Thanksgiving.

When they do pick a GM, the first item on the list is likely to be starting pitching. Trevor Bauer is the clear No. 1 starter on the free agent market, so it would seem to be a no-brainer for the Angels to take a run at him.

However, there are other starters available besides Bauer, and the Angels also have other needs beyond the rotation. They could use some help in the bullpen, behind the plate, in the middle infield and perhaps even in the outfield.

Here’s a look at some intriguing options, beginning with the starting pitchers.

Marcus Stroman: After Bauer, the consensus No. 2 free agent starting pitcher is Stroman. He has a career 3.76 ERA heading into his age 30 season. He didn’t pitch in 2020, opting out after coming back from a calf injury. The New York Mets also give him a qualifying offer, so whoever signs him will have to give up a draft pick. Stroman also could still accept the Mets’ offer, taking him off the free agent list entirely.

Joe Musgrove: Although he isn’t a household name, it could be by the end of the winter. Musgrove might turn out to be one of the most attractive options on what figures to be a very thin starting pitching trade market. The key player the Pittsburgh Pirates got from the Houston Astros in the Gerrit Cole trade, Musgrove posted a 3.86 ERA as a 27-year-old in 2020. He struck out 55 and walked 16 in 39-2/3 innings. He has two years left before free agency. The Angels would likely have to give up at least two quality young players, including perhaps someone such as Patrick Sandoval, to get him.

Taijuan Walker: He is the youngest of the free agent starters, having pitched this season at 27. Walker was a top prospect who looked like he was finally putting things together before missing most of 2018-19 because of Tommy John surgery. In 2020, he made 11 starts and posted a 2.70 ERA with the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays.

Jake Odorizzi: Many of the free agent starters this winter have an injury question hanging over them, but Odorizzi seems to be one of the least risky of that group because he didn’t have an arm injury in 2020. He had a back strain during Minnesota Twins summer camp and then he suffered a contusion when hit in the chest by a line drive. He also had blister issues. Because of all that, he pitched just 13-2/3 innings in 2020. Over the previous six years, he had averaged 30 starts with a 3.88 ERA.

Trevor Rosenthal: There are actually a fair amount of closers on the free agent market, including Liam Hendriks, Brad Hand, Mark Melancon and Alex Colome. Rosenthal, 30, is the youngest of that group, and he is now more than three years past Tommy John surgery. Rosenthal was dominant this year, to the tune of a 1.90 ERA with 38 strikeouts in 23-2/3 innings. Former Angels GM Billy Eppler never wanted to spend much on relievers because they are so unpredictable – when he did spend on Cody Allen, it proved why he didn’t spend on anyone else – so it will be interesting to see the new GM’s philosophy on relievers.

Mychal Givens: If the Angels are looking for a solid setup man, Givens should certainly be available from the Colorado Rockies. He has one year left before free agency, and he could even be non-tendered. Givens, 30, pitched his whole career in Baltimore before finishing this season with the Rockies. Despite those hitter-friendly environments, he has a 3.41 ERA and has averaged 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings in his career.

Cesar Hernandez: Although Francisco Lindor would obviously be a great fit up the middle, let’s assume the Angels are going to use most of their trade and financial resources for pitching. How about the guy who played next to Lindor with the Cleveland Indians this year? The Angels tried to get Hernandez from the Philadelphia Phillies a few years back, and when he was non-tendered last year the Angels didn’t need him because they had David Fletcher and Tommy La Stella at second. Now, Hernandez is a free agent again, and the Angels have room to upgrade in the middle infield, with Fletcher penciled in to play either shortstop or second. Hernandez, 30, just won a Gold Glove at second. Offensively, he’s a switch-hitter who has a career .352 on-base percentage.

Kolten Wong: The Angels have reportedly already started doing some groundwork on Wong, who became a free agent when the St. Louis Cardinals declined the second baseman’s option. Wong, 30, has a career .333 on-base percentage, and he’s upped that to .356 over the last four years. Wong has won the NL Gold Glove at second each of the past two seasons, when the managers and coaches were responsible for the bulk of the decision in 2019 and when the metrics determined the award in 2020.

Andrew Knapp: Not the Phillies catcher you were hoping for? Knapp proved to be a more than capable backup to J.T. Realmuto in 2020. Perhaps the Phillies wouldn’t be interested in trading Knapp if they’re going to lose Realmuto. Knapp, 29, is a rare switch-hitting catcher, and in 2020 he produced an .849 OPS in 72 at-bats. He could be a platoon partner with Max Stassi or share the job with Anthony Bemboom if Stassi is slow to come back from hip surgery. Knapp is arbitration-eligible for the next two seasons.

Joc Pederson: Back in February the Angels appeared to have a deal for Pederson and pitcher Ross Stripling, but the trade fell through and Pederson stuck with the Dodgers through their World Series title. Now he’s a free agent, so the Angels have another crack at him. The Angels could probably use a left-handed-hitting fourth outfielder, essentially to replace Brian Goodwin. They would have someone to spell Justin Upton and hold down right field if Jo Adell needs more seasoning in the minors. Pederson will still just be 29 next season, and he’s got a career .806 OPS with a .336 on-base percentage.

View the full article

5 hours ago, Tank said:

I’m on board with signing Joc Pedersen.

I like that too. I know, use money for pitching, but adding Wong/Profar/Hernandez and Joc shouldn’t break the bank and would make for a really, really solid, deep club. 

I’d rather pull a trade for some pitching too. It tends to work out a lot better than free agency. There’s a good bit of redundancy between Thaiss, Ward, Walsh, and Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, and Rengifo, Jones, minor league SS. 

If and I know it's a big IF, Ohtani is throwing bullpens this offseason with some high 90's heat and his command looks sharp with his secondary pitches, I'm good with going after Walker and Musgrove and then Wong and Pederson + one of Rosenthal or Givens. 

I'm also fine with going all in on Bauer alone if Ohtani is good to go. Then sign Wong and Pederson.

SS Fletcher

2B Wong

CF Trout

3B Rendon

DH Ohtani

RF Pederson

LF Upton

1B Walsh

C Stassi

SP: Bauer, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria

SP: Bundy, Musgrove, Walker, Heaney, Ohtani, Canning

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

I like that too. I know, use money for pitching, but adding Wong/Profar/Hernandez and Joc shouldn’t break the bank and would make for a really, really solid, deep club. 

I’d rather pull a trade for some pitching too. It tends to work out a lot better than free agency. There’s a good bit of redundancy between Thaiss, Ward, Walsh, and Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, and Rengifo, Jones, minor league SS. 

I think that would be a pretty solid way to go. There are many ways to build a club. We need pitching, but if the market for that pitching doesn't materialize, then they have to be open to other avenues.

I like the idea of signing Blake Treinen  and maybe Jake McGee.

The Dodgers have an abundance of bullpen talent so those guys may not be re-signed. They have 5 more years of control with Graterol, 3 with Floro, 6 with Gonzalez, 3 with Kolarek and 4 with Ferguson. They also have Kelly signed for two more years and Jensen for 1.

Its still super early and a lot we dont know but for the purposes of conversation and speculation ...  With early projections where applicable 

I would be happy with one of Wong (2/16) or Hernandez(1/6).  I would prefer that to for example Gregorious for sure based on the OBP alone.  Semien an option that leaves Fletcher at 2B where i personally prefer him but i think hes going to be grossly overpayed so, meh.  Maybe try to bring back Simba or LaStella?  Bottom line a lot of options here no reason to overpay. 

Im on board with Pederson (2/18), makes a lot of sense. young enough could thrive as a full timer.   Could play all OF, DH and even some 1B.

We need either Hand(2/14) or Rosenthal(2/14) to lock down the back end of the pen, even if closer are a terrible investment. 

C is an issues still of course, Realmuto(5/25) is likely out of budget but would look nice mixed in with Trout/Rendon.  whats left after that, McCann (2/20), bring back Castro, see if Ramos can get it back (i for one am a little over those kind of signings) ? 

Aaaaaand of course, SP.  If we assume Bauer isnt an option and Stroman now gone tier two is whats there.  Odorizzi (3/39) Walker (2/16)

Of course not all of this will happen, conservatively it would cost about 40-50M to do, which is of course above budget assuming we do add for '21. 

But heres the thing, if we really want to contend, its necessary.  If Arte were to blow the tax for 1 year, with Pujols balancing the books next year, its feasible.  Do i think that will happen, no, i dont, but its what i hope will happen.