• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Griffin Canning wins Gold Glove for work on the mound

Like most high school baseball players, Griffin Canning played a position when he wasn’t pitching at Santa Margarita Catholic High.

So when he got to UCLA and only pitched, he needed a way to “kind of show off, to have some fun on the field.”

That, Canning said, was to focus on his defense on the mound, which was rewarded on Tuesday night when the Angels right-hander won a Gold Glove.

“It’s something I’ve always taken pretty seriously,” said Canning, who also won a Gold Glove in college.

Canning became just the second Angels pitcher to win a Gold Glove, although Mark Langston won five of them from 1991-95.

Canning is the Angels’ 21st different player to win at least one Gold Glove, the first since shortstop Andrelton Simmons in 2018.

This award, however, was a little different. Because the season was shortened to 60 games, there was a limited sample size on which to base the awards. Also, the voting of managers and coaches was skipped this year because teams didn’t play all the other teams in their league.

Instead, the awards were based solely on defensive metrics. Canning led American League pitchers with three Defensive Runs Saved, although that reflected just 16 total chances in the 56-1/3 innings he pitched.

“I can’t even remember that many plays that I had this year,” Canning said, “so (the metrics) aren’t anything that I have paid attention to really.”

Another Southern California product was among the AL winners: Seattle Mariners shortstop J.P. Crawford (Lakewood High).

View the full article

4 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Because the season was shortened to 60 games, there was a limited sample size on which to base the awards. Also, the voting of managers and coaches was skipped this year because teams didn’t play all the other teams in their league.

And this right here is why Canning won.  Had the rocket scientists that once awarded Palmiero a GG at 1B in a season he was a full time DH been allowed to vote the pitcher version of Derek Jeter would have taken the GG home.