• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alden Gonzalez: Angels will look to reload system in Draft

Can't wait for draft day! Let me know if they give you access inside the war room Chuck! B)

The biggest challenge this year:

The Angels' bonus-pool money is $2,998,200, which ranks 29th in the Majors. For their first selection (59th overall), they were given $942,000; for their second (95th), it's $541,000.

TOTAL $2,998,200   AVG. $333,133

The worst part of signing this crappy FAs is this:

"The Angels didn't have a pick in the second round of 2006 (due to the signing of Jeff Weaver), either of the first two rounds in '07 (Gary Matthews Jr. and Justin Speier), the first round of '08 (Torii Hunter), the second round in '11 (Scott Downs) and the first two rounds of '12 (Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson). Then there was the December signing of Josh Hamilton, which eliminated their first-round selection this summer."

We lost top prospects so that we could get Jeff Weaver, GMJ, Justin Speier, and Scott Downs. It's worth the risk for Torii Hunter or Pujols (even CJ Wilson) but we gave up our top prospects for guys that were bad players signed to bad contracts.

That's a pretty dumb system to take away draft picks because you signed players to better your team. I understand the comp picks when losing a player, but sticking it to a team for trying to improve in the last capitalism sports league makes no sense.

2003 - Brandon Wood, Sean Rodriguez, Reggie Willits

2004 - Jered Weaver, Mark Trumbo, Nick Adenhart

2005 - peter bourjos

2006 - conger, walden

2007 -

2008 - chatwood, kohn

2009 - trout, richards, skaggs, corbin, tbd

2010 - calhoun. tbd

2011 - Maronde, tbd

2012 - Roth, tbd

Last 10 years worth of drafts contributions to the current roster

Weaver, Trumbo, Bourjos, Conger, Hansen, Ianetta, Kohn, Trout, Richards

That Grienke trade bit us in the ass...

Texiera and Grienke both bailed on us for more money. I guess the Angels should avoid trading for stars that are in their contract years

Traded prospects for Greinke, then tried to make up for him by signing Hamilton for which we lost more prospects. That's worth it for a World Series, but this team can't even make the playoffs.

Traded prospects for Greinke, then tried to make up for him by signing Hamilton for which we lost more prospects. That's worth it for a World Series, but this team can't even make the playoffs.

Yes, I thought that Grienke trade would get the Angels into the playoffs, I thought they were solid. Santana, Haren and Wilson were pretty bad down the stretch. Trumbo went cold as ice. It is a huge risk to trade your best players in the farm for a star player in his contract year. Unfortanetly , Angels lost all their chips with that huge gamble.

I hope they reconsider trading away their best players in the farm in the future for a star player in their contract year. It could back fire big time.

This team can't even avoid getting swept at home in 4 games by one of the worst teams in recent MLB history with perhaps the smallest payroll since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

That Grienke trade bit us in the ass...

Texiera and Grienke both bailed on us for more money. I guess the Angels should avoid trading for stars that are in their contract years

Greinke, sure.  The compensation pick they got for Teixeira was used to draft Trout.  

This team doesn't need a top pick in the draft, would it help? Yes of course. We just need to make the most of our picks. This team doesn't need a Joe Mauer, it needs a clutch player like Molina. It doesn't need a player with the hype of Josh Hamilton, it could use a Nick Swisher type. It doesn't need a guy like Jered Weaver in the draft, it needs guys that can come in throw strikes and not wilt under pressure.