• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ JC Ramírez said his velocity returned to 96 mph in winter ball

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. >> JC Ramírez had a bad feeling when he looked up at the scoreboard after returning from Tommy John surgery.

“I was never used to being in that situation, seeing on the scoreboard 93 on the best day,” Ramírez said. “It was 91-92. It was frustrating.”

Ramírez averaged 95.6 mph with his fastball in 2017, but it was down to 91.0 mph when he came back in 2019. He pitched in just five games and then the Angels designated him for assignment.

Ramírez took some time off after the season to get married and take a European honeymoon, and then he began physical therapy. He pitched in Mexico over the winter, and said he got his fastball back up to 96 mph.

“I think the key was rest,” he said. “I rested my arm. My muscles weren’t fully healed.”

The Angels saw enough in two workouts to sign him to a minor league deal earlier this week, and Ramírez was happy to return to a place he’d pitched for most of the past four seasons. Ramírez could get a shot at the bullpen or he could go onto the starter depth chart.

“At this point I am just hoping to throw the ball and show the team I’m healthy,” he said. “They can use me however. I’m pretty comfortable to do any role.”

ALSO

The Angels are scheduled start Tommy La Stella (2B), David Fletcher (3B), Brian Goodwin (RF), Taylor Ward (LF), Matt Thaiss (1B), Michael Hermosillo (CF), Luís Rengifo (SS), Jared Walsh (DH) and José Briceño (C) in their home Cactus League opener on Saturday, with Matt Ball starting on the mound. …

In the road game against the Chicago White Sox, the Angels will start Brandon Marsh (LF), Jo Adell (RF), Anthony Bemboom (C), José Rojas (1B), Jahmai Jones (2B), Arismendy Alcantara (SS), Brennon Lund (CF), Elliot Soto (3B) and Franklin Torres (DH). Jake Thompson will be the first pitcher. …

Outfielder D’Shawn Knowles and infielders Jeremiah Jackson and Kevin Maitan are the notable prospects among the players scheduled to come off the bench in the home game. …

Maddon said Tuesday he’s planning to have all of his regulars playing by Tuesday. …

Mike Trout and Justin Upton collaborated to help a fan do a gender reveal during Friday’s workout. Trout flipped a ball to Upton, who hit it, revealing a puff of pink powder.

View the full article