• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jeff Mathis and the HOF

notherhalo

I mean, shouldnt a guy be in some kind of hall of fame for having 2500 AB's and a lifetime .194 average

Is there any other player with such a feat? I found this guy but he was in a different era

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-worst-hitter-in-baseball-history/

Might Mathis be the greatest worst hitter?

Edited by notherhalo

5 hours ago, Kevinb said:

If this isn’t reason number one that umpires should be obsolete I don’t know what is. How has he stayed in the game this long being this bad. 

It’s much more an indication that the relationship between the pitcher and catcher is more important than fans realize. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

It’s much more an indication that the relationship between the pitcher and catcher is more important than fans realize. 

without a doubt.  

the crazy thing about Mathis is that backup Catchers bounce around a ton.  They get DFA'd and snatched up off waivers or they get minor league deals and end up sometime on a 40 or sometimes getting DFAd.  

Mathis has had a major league contract and never been sent to the minors or let go (outside of rehab assignments). 

His highest salary was last year at 36 and he'll make another 3m this year at age 37.  

He doesn't throw out runners all that efficiently.  He's not terrible at it, but not great.  He blocks well enough but so do a lot of backups.  and as we know his bat is terrible.  

So everything about him keeping his job and it never being even questioned is all about how he handles the pitcher. 

My guess is that the day he retires he'll start getting consideration to manage.  

^yep.

Ive talked to more than enough people who swear up and down by him. 

And what he brings in game is something (pitch framing, sequencing) is something some of the smarter front offices were seeking for years.

Ive mentioned it on here before, and doc just said it better. Hes had a job every year for close to 15 years now ... not being able to hit. Theres a reason for that.