• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kyle Keller traded to the Angels

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

A reliever who can strike out more than a batter per inning, picked up for nothing with years of control and options left...an Eppler special.  Looks like a good deal.

I'd love to get an Jeff Luhnow special and pick up an ace arm like Cole and Grienke for nothing next up.

I hope Eppler has it in him. So far he hasn't.  

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Just upgrading Jewell’s roster spot by the looks of it. Big minor league K numbers. 

just texted a friend who's a huge Marlin's (yeah I too was shocked to know there is such a thing when we first met) and he said he liked Keller a lot and that he thinks this kid could be a serviceable bullpen guy in the future

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

What happened to Jake Jewell? 

Yeah I am actually stunned that they designated Jewell. I know he is just a reliever in the scheme of things but Jake has a lot of promise.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd love to get an Jeff Luhnow special and pick up an ace arm like Cole and Grienke for nothing next up.

I hope Eppler has it in him. So far he hasn't.  

Two things working against Eppler - timing and prospects.

Cole was acquired by HOU for 4 major league ready prospects including a Starting Pitcher in Musgrove.  We didn't have that depth.

Greinke was acquired for, again, 4 prospects and HOU was pushing for a World Championship.

Say we acquired Cole in 2018 somehow, we still don't make the playoffs and lose him to the Yankees this offseason.

Greinke is only a move you make to try to win in 2019 and now Houston has 8 less prospects and two pitcher over 36 owed a combined $116 mil ($50 mil for Greinke, $66 mil for Verlander) with their next best pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery and a lot of question marks.  

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

Yeah I am actually stunned that they designated Jewell. I know he is just a reliever in the scheme of things but Jake has a lot of promise.

I mean, maybe?  Jake's 6 seasons in the minors produced 4.93 ERA 1.508 WHIP 7.5 K/9 in 507.1 IP so it's not like they didn't take a long look at him.

6 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Two things working against Eppler - timing and prospects.

Cole was acquired by HOU for 4 major league ready prospects including a Starting Pitcher in Musgrove.  We didn't have that depth.

Greinke was acquired for, again, 4 prospects and HOU was pushing for a World Championship.

Say we acquired Cole in 2018 somehow, we still don't make the playoffs and lose him to the Yankees this offseason.

Greinke is only a move you make to try to win in 2019 and now Houston has 8 less prospects and two pitcher over 36 owed a combined $116 mil ($50 mil for Greinke, $66 mil for Verlander) with their next best pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery and a lot of question marks.  

And their top pitching prospect (Whitley) having very mediocre numbers and health history so far in the minors

13 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I mean, maybe?  Jake's 6 seasons in the minors produced 4.93 ERA 1.508 WHIP 7.5 K/9 in 507.1 IP so it's not like they didn't take a long look at him.

Sure but some of that was as a starter, then he had TJS, and moved to relief, so he has switched roles. I would have thought that Mayers, who doesn't have options, would have been the first choice over Jewell who still has options. Comparatively, I think Jewell is the better choice, thus the surprise that Mayers (or Mejia) didn't go first.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

Sure but some of that was as a starter, then he had TJS, and moved to relief, so he has switched roles. I would have thought that Mayers, who doesn't have options, would have been the first choice over Jewell who still has options. Comparatively, I think Jewell is the better choice, thus the surprise that Mayers (or Mejia) didn't go first.

Didn't he fracture his leg?  I think you probably referencing Jake Lamb...

Regardless, while AAA PCL is not the friendliest environment to develop, the Angels obviously didn't see enough to keep him around.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Didn't he fracture his leg?  I think you probably referencing Jake Lamb...

Regardless, while AAA PCL is not the friendliest environment to develop, the Angels obviously didn't see enough to keep him around.

Yes, sorry, you are correct.

Not so sure it is about his ability but the idea that out of their choices to designate someone they felt he had the best chance of passing through waivers based on that history of injury and recent performance. I won't be shocked to see a team like the Rockies or Orioles take a flyer on Jewell. Hope he stays in the organization.