• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kershaw might be the biggest choker in the history of baseball

rageous

On 10/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, Sean-Regan said:

He plays a lot on short rest against good opponents.

Bumgarner - who everyone talks up as the most clutch guy ever - almost never pitched on short rest: In particular, it was one crazy relief appearance in the WS where he came in to pitch in the final game on short rest. Sample size issues. 

Kershaw this year in the playoffs, on normal rest: 6ip, 3er. Not great, but against a good team not a disaster either. 

World Series Game 1 last year: 4ip, 5er - although he had pitched an inning in relief a couple of days before. On five days rest, in game 5, he gave up 4 runs in 7ip. Not a great WS for Kersh.

Go back to the NLCS last year: Game 1 was garbage - 3ip, 4er. Game 5, though, he was 7ip with only 1er. He returned in Game 7 to to pitch a scoreless 9th. Game 1 was after a full week of rest - sometimes extra rest may screw with guys' rhythm. I've heard people say that. Still, a mixed bag.

NLDS against Atlanta: He pitched Game 2 only - 8ip, 0er. 

In 2017 WS vs. Houston, Kershaw threw 3 games: 1, 5, and part of 7. Game 1 he pitched a 7 inning, 1er gem. Game 5 he got shelled for 6er in less than 5 innings. But he came back for 4 scoreless innings in Game 7. 

I could go back further, but it seems like the problem is just that Kershaw's stuff gets worse under fatigue. That isn't uncommon, but Kershaw has a crapload of innings in the playoffs against good teams. As many good games as he's had, he's also had some really lousy ones. He pitched four scoreless innings in relief in Game 7, 2017. He closed out the NLCS last year with a scoreless frame. People forget where he's done well because it doesn't fit the narrative. The reality is that his overall numbers, and far too many playoff outings of his career, have been poor.

But the narrative that Kershaw simply pitches lousy in big games is juvenile and wrong. There's more than enough evidence that that isn't the case. 

I incredibly disagree.

Every team in the playoffs is good. Citing Kershaw pitches against good teams in the payoffs is a given not an excuse. Every player and pitcher is fatigued in the playoffs. Again nothing unique for Kershaw. 

Facts

Regular season 2.44 era, 1.008 whip

Playoffs (incredibly large sample size)  4.43 era, 1,105 whip

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Wait, I thought Mama Cass was the biggest choker ever?

if anyone's ever doubted that every single topic has been discussed at some point here, I give you this .....

On 9/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, yk9001 said:

Mama Cass Elliott did not, in fact die of choking on a ham sandwich, which was the urban legend.

If none of that makes sense, contact AO for the details.