• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

JDown

Glen

20 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Claude, you need to stop with these stupid nar...wait what?

Melwin Goodwin...   

1 for 27 last 6 games...   430 OPS in Sept...  He's posted a .651 OPS or lower in three of the six months so far this season..   .653 OPS with RISP, .647 OPS in high leverage situations.  Career dWAR of -1.8

So...  Bad defender entire career -- streaky as hell, not clutch..   His career high OPS+ is equal to Upton's Angels' tenure of 114....

But, "good player" according to the Melvin Fan Club.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Melwin Goodwin...   

1 for 27 last 6 games...   430 OPS in Sept...  He's posted a .651 OPS or lower in three of the six months so far this season..   .653 OPS with RISP, .647 OPS in high leverage situations.  Career dWAR of -1.8

So...  Bad defender entire career -- streaky as hell, not clutch..   His career high OPS+ is equal to Upton's Angels' tenure of 114....

But, "good player" according to the Melvin Fan Club.

In Stradville a 1.9 War > -0.9 War

I’m not going to take the time to knock Goodwin. He wasn’t even supposed to be in the starting lineup. He’s done everything they’ve asked him to do and for his paycheck I think he did a fabulous job.

Edited by Calzone 2

In Clownville, standard M.O. is to ignore all your usual narratives and press on with the agendas...

Upton last 869 PA -- 2.9 bWAR (includes career worst season)
Melwin last 867 PA - 2.2 bWAR (includes career best season)

Melvin at his worst > Melwin at his best.

I like both players, glad they have both and love that Goodwin (An Eppler GOODWILL PLAYER), is cheap and under control but I find the hypocrisy hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

In Clownville, standard M.O. is to ignore all your usual narratives and press on with the agendas...

Upton last 869 PA -- 2.9 bWAR (includes career worst season)
Melwin last 867 PA - 2.2 bWAR (includes career best season)

Melvin at his worst > Melwin at his best.

I like both players, glad they have both and love that Goodwin (An Eppler GOODWILL PLAYER), is cheap and under control but I find the hypocrisy hilarious.

What we’re getting out of Goodwin should be appreciated and not downplayed. He’s performed pretty well and has given the team a solid season for what was suppose to be a backup role. 

What we got from Upton last year should be appreciated, but it wasn’t.  What happened to Upton this year was injuries, which was then turned into he’s lazy, doesn’t want to play because he got a boo boo on his toe and he’s in decline.   Not the decline that still means he’s a  good player but the type of decline where he sucks.   That’s the narrative some have created.   

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hey look!  Someone is trying to misrepresent someone else's position again. 

Apparently, when made to look at one's own bullshit the only logical response is to lie some more.   Good show!

Speaking of appreciating players...   Aaron Hicks is signed through his age 35 season, possibly age 36 and could be owed as much as 75 mil...   Upton, through age 34 and 72 million.

Again, one of these was a GREAT acquisition and signing...   

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

Put him at 1B and DH, let him rest his legs, extend his career through his mid-30's and open up LF for Adell and shift Marsh to RF. 

Can you think of an outfielder who moved to 1B when he got older? I’m sure there are some, but I can’t think of any. 

I am not sure 1B is easier on your legs. You have to run around on cutoffs and relays, follow a hitter to 2nd on a double to LF, pop off the bag hard every time when you’re holding a runner, stretch. In LF you have to run farther and faster, but way less frequently. 

Also I think a bad defensive 1B probably hurts your team more because he handles the ball a lot more. 

A lot of teams have bad defensive LFers. He needs to hit. 

Last night was a defensive embarrassment in left field. Bringing in raw rookies means living with a pretty extensive defensive earning curve. 

Each ballpark has it's own quirks and subtleties that are only recognized through experience.

Rookies in the field have no experience facing MLB batters so positioning and anticipation are also things that can only be processed through experience. 

No matter how good a rookie was in the minors, they still will have to adjust to many new things along the way. 

That's why it usually takes some years for a roster of many young players to gel and fit together on defense. Talent has to be backed by knowledge.

Take the Blue Jay vaunted trio of rookies. Lots of flash and power, but also a fair share of blunders and defensive mistakes. 

Trout and Calhoun have spoiled fans with their consistency and ability in two of the three positions, making it easier to live with Upton's presence. 

55 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Can you think of an outfielder who moved to 1B when he got older? I’m sure there are some, but I can’t think of any. 

I am not sure 1B is easier on your legs. You have to run around on cutoffs and relays, follow a hitter to 2nd on a double to LF, pop off the bag hard every time when you’re holding a runner, stretch. In LF you have to run farther and faster, but way less frequently. 

Also I think a bad defensive 1B probably hurts your team more because he handles the ball a lot more. 

A lot of teams have bad defensive LFers. He needs to hit. 

Off the top of my head, I know Erstad did for a bit, Will Myers moved to 1B but back to the outfield when they signed Hosmer. Hanley Ramirez moved to 1B when he got older. Miguel Sano likely will next year. Miguel Cabrera did too.

As you said, Upton's bat is the most important part of his game, but if Justin moving positions allows Marsh to impact the game, then I think it's worth exploring. 

Or because Marsh is left handed, maybe they move him to first base until a spot in the outfield opens up. Not ideal because of his defensive prowess but it could be done I suppose.

Edited by Second Base

4 hours ago, red321 said:

First off...wouldn’t Jdone be more appropriate?

second off...outside of this board, where has Marsh ever been mentioned as being a top 100 prospect?

third off...well, I forgot what three was for

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-in-season-prospect-list/summary?sort=-1,1&pagenum=1&team=

fangraphs has him at 75th.  

I think a more appropriate description is that he's a 50 grade or better prospect of which there are general about 110-120 depending on the publication.  

What you should take away from this is that he's likely ready by mid 2020 and he's gonna be really good.