• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Eppler’s concerning gamble of 2019

This was another gap year trying to reset for 2020 and beyond. But let’s take a look how Epplers “gamble” panned out with the main players acquired in the offseason.

Harvey (FA signed)- Released

Allen (FA signed)- Released

Lucroy (FA signed)- Released 

Cahill (FA signed)- 6.40ERA, moved to the bullpen and only on the team still cuz half our rotation doesn’t exist. 

Garcia (Traded for Alvarez)- 4.93 ERA while Alvarez is sporting a 3.02 ERA

Bour- .183BA currently playing in AAA

LaStella- .300BA having a career year. 

Goodwin- .283BA (should be playing more than Upton).

Only two players (LaStella and Goodwin), are playing well. Everyone else, especially pitching, has been a major bust. The scary part is they haven’t been injured. They’ve just been bad. I’m optimistic with Eppler. I love his drafting and how he’s built the farm system. His major league acquisitions have been extremely worrisome.  

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

This was another gap year trying to reset for 2020 and beyond. But let’s take a look how Epplers “gamble” panned out with the main players acquired in the offseason.

Harvey (FA signed)- Released

Allen (FA signed)- Released

Lucroy (FA signed)- Released 

Cahill (FA signed)- 6.40ERA, moved to the bullpen and only on the team still cuz half our rotation doesn’t exist. 

Garcia (Traded for Alvarez)- 4.93 ERA while Alvarez is sporting a 3.02 ERA

Bour- .183BA currently playing in AAA

LaStella- .300BA having a career year. 

Goodwin- .283BA (should be playing more than Upton).

Only two players (LaStella and Goodwin), are playing well. Everyone else, especially pitching, has been a major bust. The scary part is they haven’t been injured. They’ve just been bad. I’m optimistic with Eppler. I love his drafting and how he’s built the farm system. His major league acquisitions have been extremely worrisome.  

You're absolutely right. The problem is that we've talked about this to death and you're writing this like it is the first mention of it. I'm not bagging on you, but can you take the conversation a step forward? 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

don't forget Stratton's era below 3 for the pirates after a miserable performance with the halos.  

I think Langston mentioned that the Pirates pitching coaches emphasizes fastballs.  The Pirate coaches have Stratton throwing more fastballs while the Angels had him throwing more breaking balls.

I am rapidly losing faith in the Angels pitching staff......

Everyone bagging on the guys for things already discussed, but really at this point, whats left to say.
WE all know where the club is and i havent really seen any fresh takes so why bust the guys balls over trying to generate something other than "OMG we suck again". 

19 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I think Langston mentioned that the Pirates pitching coaches emphasizes fastballs.  The Pirate coaches have Stratton throwing more fastballs while the Angels had him throwing more breaking balls.

Which doesn't make sense because Eppler loves guys with good fastballs. I know Statton has a good spin rate... but come on Eppler.

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Everyone bagging on the guys for things already discussed, but really at this point, whats left to say.
WE all know where the club is and i havent really seen any fresh takes so why bust the guys balls over trying to generate something other than "OMG we suck again". 

Yup.. Just updating where the signings have gone and how they have progressed. Anyone who might say "they got unlucky and it didn't work out" must be blind. This hasn't been the first year and it's becoming very concerning. 

32 minutes ago, eligrba said:

He definitely threw fewer fastballs with us - but he threw more with SF, and wasn't very good there, either.  His biggest problem with us was his command is terrible.  

Also, we used him as a "starter", PIT uses him as a reliever.  

His command is definitely better of late - whether that's "on us" or "on him", I can't say.  But someone struggling with their command should probably be throwing more fastballs, or so it seems to me.

image.png.f8515f24844d2eba3d3c4e2c8b16e05d.png

image.png.8fd6eccb1cbf5cc33a588b5863d79de1.png