• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Market Heating Up for Ray?

I'd love to add Robbie Ray, but I don't think the Angels match up well with Arizona, and doubt they'll want to pay his sky-high price since he's only controllable one more year.

Houston unfortunately matches up really well here. Arizona wants players comparable to what they got when they dealt Goldschmidt, young, MLB-ready impact like Carson Kelly and Weaver. Astros have that in spades.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Maybe Ray is ready to turn a corner, but he would frustrate us for the most part.  Averages about 5.5 innings per start this year and for his entire career.  

I see something in his stuff/starts that tells me there is more still to come with the right coaching. Based on this years staff I would be fairly happy with 5.5 good innings per start. 

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd love to add Robbie Ray, but I don't think the Angels match up well with Arizona, and doubt they'll want to pay his sky-high price since he's only controllable one more year.

Will we need him after that year of control? With the young arms we have coming up that should(could) be ready for the 2021 season would we need that level of pitching per cost or be better served then to have the kids step in. Would Az go for a A+ level package that would give them more depth with good upside?  

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

No. I recently switched from iphone to Android and the autocorrect is absolute garbage. Swipe typing is fast, but highly inaccurate. 

Every "to" becomes "top", every "and" becomes "ab's". I hate it. 

It changes a lot of stuff that makes zero sense ...  The most recent build seems even more nutty than previous versions.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

It changes a lot of stuff that makes zero sense ...  The most recent build seems even more nutty than previous versions.

Mine's one lf the newer models. The are some cool features, like themes, screen size, selfie mode that blurs the background and makes it look professional and the interface itself is cool. But the biometric entry and autocorrect are awful. That, and I need to restart it one every few days otherwise I won't receive calls or texts. 

The iPhone is without a doubt better, but it could be worse.

18 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ok I finally got so sick of it that I disabled the Samsung keyboard and downloaded GBoard. So far, it's far superior.

I've followed Ray the last 3 years because of fantasy baseball.  I drafted him late in 2017 and he definitely outperformed his draft position but then I drafted him each of the last two years and it's been a mixed bag.  Currently the 5th highest K/9 out of starters in the league but he also gives up a lot of walks and home runs.  If the price was right I'd be in favor of the Angels getting him but I see him as a player a team will overpay for via trade because he's under club control next year.  He's one of those guys that when he's on he can pitch like an ace but he's been inconsistent or rather off the last two years way more than he's been on.  

Greinke makes more sense. He's under control for two more seasons, and yes, is owed a lot of money. But if the Angels say took on $27M per year of that for future years, (splitting the deferred money with Arizona 5.5 each, while Arizona also picks up $2M in 2020 and 2021, and got them to take back Cahill and pay the difference they owe for this year's remaining salary) the increase wouldn't be terrible.

Eating this kind of money in a deal, leaving the Angels on the hook for say $54 of the nearly $80 he's owed would mean that they would have to part with a decent prospect in return.

Would you say trade Jones, Barria, Cahill, and say two lower two prospects for Greinke and basically $25M in Cash?

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Greinke makes more sense. He's under control for two more seasons, and yes, is owed a lot of money. But if the Angels say took on $27M per year of that for future years, (splitting the deferred money with Arizona 5.5 each, while Arizona also picks up $2M in 2020 and 2021, and got them to take back Cahill and pay the difference they owe for this year's remaining salary) the increase wouldn't be terrible.

Eating this kind of money in a deal, leaving the Angels on the hook for say $54 of the nearly $80 he's owed would mean that they would have to part with a decent prospect in return.

Would you say trade Jones, Barria, Cahill, and say two lower two prospects for Greinke and basically $25M in Cash?

The only thing I don't like about Greinke - I've pitched this idea a lot - is that he uses up a lot of our soon to be free money, and I truly think we need at least two more SPs. So we'll either have to scrape the bottom of the FA barrel to find that arm - like a $3.5m roll of the dice on a Tyson Ross-type or whatever - or we'll have to cash in some more prospects, which might be tough depending on what we'd have to give up for Greinke. Thins out depth, and we won't have money to spend to protect that thinning. 

Just now, totdprods said:

The only thing I don't like about Greinke - I've pitched this idea a lot - is that he uses up a lot of our soon to be free money, and I truly think we need at least two more SPs. So we'll either have to scrape the bottom of the FA barrel to find that arm - like a $3.5m roll of the dice on a Tyson Ross-type or whatever - or we'll have to cash in some more prospects, which might be tough depending on what we'd have to give up for Greinke. Thins out depth, and we won't have money to spend to protect that thinning. 

Yeah agreed. He is deferring $11M per season for both the next two seasons, which helps cash flow. But not luxury tax.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah agreed. He is deferring $11M per season for both the next two seasons, which helps cash flow. But not luxury tax.

Yup. And if he doesn't cost a lot in terms of prospects in a trade, and Eppler really believers that Canning, Suarez, Pena, Sandoval, Barria, and Madero can hold down the back of the rotation effectively and durably, then go for it. 

I really think we need one frontline SP - but prefer adding at least a second stable vet arm (or good MLB-ready SP prospect) is nearly as important.

Whatever happened to Taijuan Walker? He could be worked in as part of a deal.

Edited by totdprods

It seems like Greinke's declining fastball velocity is a valid concern. I understand he is still pitching very well, but his 4 seamer now sits under 90. How much lower will it drop over the next couple seasons and at what point will it become ineffective. That's a lot of money for a guy who might be about to fall off of the proverbial cliff.