• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Merry Fackmus

Chuck

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You're either full of shit, yanking my chain, an asshole or I don't know who the hell you are anymore. You pick. 

Haha

i would think that after all these years you would know how little importance I put on who is managing. There was absolutely nothing Ausmus could have done today that would have resulted in a win. 

signed, 

AHole 

36 minutes ago, Lou said:

Haha

i would think that after all these years you would know how little importance I put on who is managing. There was absolutely nothing Ausmus could have done today that would have resulted in a win. 

signed, 

AHole 

Yeah but, I'll never forget the first 12 years of Sosh. He was the best!

Oh and that 2009 season.. I couldn't have agreed more with blast from the past, @LightTheHalo

THE ANGELS 2009 MVP

By Geoff Bilau – Angelswin.com Senior Editor
Reporting from Angel Stadium

It took simultaneous disabled list visits by the team’s would be MVP and perennial MVP, but since July 10 Angels fans have learned once and for all who is the 2009 Angels’ MVP — there can no longer be any question that person is Mike Scioscia.

From the strength he showed as the team’s guide through the Nick Adenhart tragedy just three days into the season to the patience he has shown time and again, often flying in the face of his most vocal critics, Scioscia’s touch has proven every bit as calculated and precise as any time during his 10 seasons in Anaheim. Not so much a Midas touch, but more like that of a master painter, whose brush strokes are often best appreciated after one has had time to take a step back and view them as a whole.

Scioscia stuck with a talented, but enigmatic Erick Aybar at shortstop when so many wondered what he saw in him. There was the botched squeeze play to end the 2008 postseason, a less flashy yet consistently clutch veteran challenger in Maicer Izturis and the franchise’s top prospect, shortstop Brandon Wood, murdering the baseball in AAA.

But now with his .439 batting average, 16 runs and 17 RBI in July, Aybar has turned himself not just into the team’s No. 1 shortstop, but also a guy the team seems hesitant to trade for much needed pitching help.

When Robb Quinlan was batting .125 on May 21, people wondered what he had done to deserve the occasional starts Scioscia continued to give him. But since being pressed into regular duty by the injuries to Torii Hunter and Vladimir Guerrero, Quinlan has batted .412 with two home runs and six RBI in his last six starts.

When Howie Kendrick’s batting average dipped to .231 on June 11, the usually patient Scioscia had finally seen enough and sent the struggling star-in-waiting back to AAA. After three weeks during which Kendrick seemed to regain his stroke, Scioscia recalled him, ensuring he’d face the Yankees, a team Kendrick has tormented during his young career. During the 16 games without Hunter and Guerrero (and eight without Juan Rivera), Kendrick has batted .415 with four doubles, a home run, nine runs scored and nine driven in.

On July 8, the Angels lost to Texas, falling to 46-37 and a game behind the division-leading Rangers. Following an off day, the Angels welcomed the Yankees to Anaheim, placed Hunter and Guerrero on the disabled list — and inexplicably won 12 of the next 13 games, beginning with a sweep of the Bronx Bombers right before the All-Star break.

Scioscia predictably deflects any credit for the hot streak that saw the Angels score 100 runs in those 13 games and reclaim first place in the Western Division.

“I think we have a deep club,” he said. “We look to guys like Gary Matthews; Mike Napoli’s had a chance to swing the bat every day; a guy like Howie Kendrick rebounding and getting back to his game since he’s come up or Bobby Abreu with his consistency. We’ve got a solid core with a deep bench of guys who had been battling for at-bats and are now getting them. They’ve managed to keep our offense going.”

Scioscia’s careful handling of that battle, of course, has a lot to do with the success bench players like Izturis, Matthews, Quinlan and Reggie Willits are now enjoying since being pressed into regular action.

“I’ve always thought that being manager of a team like this would be extremely hard,” Willits said. “I mean, look at the outfield from a standpoint that he’s got like five All-Stars out there; so much depth in the outfield, so much depth in the infield with Howie, Izturis and Aybar. Even at catcher with Mathis and Napoli. He’s got a tremendously tough job, but I think he does a great job getting us our at-bats.”

Willits, however, doesn’t think Scioscia is doing anything this season differently than he has in the past. And that, ultimately, is the unspoken secret to Scioscia’s success.

“He’s just the same as he’s always been,” Willits said. “He keeps us loose. It’s a clubhouse where we have a good time and enjoy ourselves, but when it’s time to get down to it we play the game hard. He’s always prepared, even keeled and laid back. I think the team just feeds off that vibe.”

In July, they’ve been feasting.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2009/07/29/the-angels-2009-mvp/

I will give him credit for being fairly true to his word about making the lineup decisions based on performance.

His ingame decisions often leave me scratching my head.

His overall personality is something I don't like. He doesn't show much humility. He comes across as a jerk.

He doesn't command respect the way you'd want a manager to, IMO.

The team is playing bad, but we did not lose today because of Ausmus.  You can question his decision to pull Cahill, but it certainly seems like a lot of teams are shying away from letting lesser starters go a third time through the order.  He let Cahill try, and the first guy in the sixth inning, the lead off hitter, hit a ringing double to lead off the inning, so he was replaced.  Blaming Ausmus is almost giving Anderson a free pass for being awful on this given day.  Prior to that he had 10 scoreless innings out of 14 outings.  Yea, Ausmus seems like a dick, but we have no idea if that is how he interacts with his players, and once again we are pretending what he says to the media matters, which it doesn’t.  My issues with him have been having Bour pinch hit for Fletcher.  He made a dumb decision to burn through three players which lead to having to use a pitcher to pinch run, a pitcher to pinch hit and an outfielder to play 2nd base.  He has used Buttrey in a close to perfect way this year, however the lack of length in the pen will cause Buttrey to be overworked in a month or two.  

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Ausmus is simply playing the players Eppler got him.

yep.

not sure that ausmus could have done anything today to affect a different outcome.

plus, the twins are a good team. this wasn't just simply a failure by the angels.

8 hours ago, Lou said:

How exactly would you suggest he do that?

Generally, it's in the way he carries himself. He doesn't look or act like a leader. I know that seems very vague, but certain people seem to command the room when they're in it. Ausmus always looks like he just woke up and rolled out of bed and came to work as is. He also gives off the impression that he can't be bothered. I know that's not answering your question and I know I'm not being very specific. It's just my opinion. It's not my job to figure out how he does it.

I always respected Mike Scioscia. I especially respected the way he carried the team through the Adenhart tragedy. He was consistent. People made fun of his cliches, etc., but he was always the same guy, regardless of how the team was doing in a good way.

I really don't know what it takes for a manager to be great or who would make a good one for the Angels. 

I do know the guys I like...  put Ausmus next to Bud Black and one carries himself like a leader and one doesn't, IMO.  I also think of Pat Riley. When he became THE coach - he transformed himself. He dressed different.  He wore his hair different.  He began to take on the persona of a coach.  He spoke with confidence and conviction. 

How does Ausmus command respect?  I don't know. 

All this being said - I'm not calling for him to be fired.  I just don't like him. 

Edited by True Grich

Not an Ausmus fan but right now but all year long it's been a Cahill, Harvey issue.   Those two have done the amazing and actually managed to be worse than the trash heap they rolled out in the 4  and 5 spot last year.  Cahill needs to keep the ball in the park, Harvey needs a shrink.   

Angels needs those two to simply give them a chance on the days they pitch.  

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I wish it were so easy to pinpoint the Angels' problems.

Unfortunately it's not all Ausmus. The team is just shitty.

The Twins came in and spanked us today.

Embarrassing.

It’s further proof of the damage that J.Pierrepont Reagins and Dumbpoto did to this franchise.

Add in the lack of true tanking, and we see why it takes about 5 years to rebuild an org with a very poor farm system.

It will be a very pleasant day, when not nearly so many one year deal players will be needed.